Which provincial units are really unique?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

kvnrthr
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Which provincial units are really unique?

Post by kvnrthr » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:33 am

So far from what I've seen there aren't many super unique provincial units. At least playing as Ptolemy it seemed to be some variation of light cavalry/camelry with extra experience everywhere. Or they stick on some ability like mountainmen/desertmen/forestmen.

One exception I do like is the Galatian heavy infantry. I think they're the only non-clumsy heavy infantry (if I recall correctly Alae aren't clumsy either but I'd have to check) so they look like they'd be brilliant in any rough terrain.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Re: Which provincial units are really unique?

Post by Pocus » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:55 am

I'm citing from memory but Goths HI are also non clumsy.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

vakarr
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by vakarr » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:49 am

There are three types of Dacian heavy infantry and the Dacian cavalry are the only ones in the region that have lances. It is disappointing that there is no difference between Danubian and Thracian medium infantry so there aren’t any falx wielding superiors in this game (despite the image of the Tisian warriors being exactly that); the Chersonese cavalry are pretty good (superior protected cavalry half armed with bow and half with sword). Light cavalry comes in desert/arid loving and steppe loving varieties. Light infantry comes with mountain loving types but surely the best are the Cretan Archers - blam! They can one shot an opponent into disruption. The Osrenoe cavalry are pretty unique - completely unarmoured cavalry with bows and swords but they are cavalry, not light cavalry. From somewhere around there I also got bow armed light cavalry. But yes, it does seem like a lot of the provincial troops are the same. It may be that if you check them more closely they are in fact different in some small way like using less supplies in the desert or in the steppe. Cappadocian cavalry are superiors armed with javelin and sword. Haven't found any yet that fight better in marsh, that would be helpful.
Last edited by vakarr on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Spartan phalanxes + Cretan archers as support. 8)

goodwoodrw
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by goodwoodrw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Blathergut wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:38 pm
Spartan phalanxes + Cretan archers as support. 8)
Playing the Spartans that's a great combo

Lucasiewicz
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Lucasiewicz » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:39 pm

kvnrthr wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:33 am
One exception I do like is the Galatian heavy infantry. I think they're the only non-clumsy heavy infantry (if I recall correctly Alae aren't clumsy either but I'd have to check) so they look like they'd be brilliant in any rough terrain.
The Carthaginian Sacred Band is a heavy infantry that doesn't have the clumsy trait as well. They're super! But not a provincial unit and only available to Carthage as far as I'm aware. The provincial unit for the Africa province is the War Elephant, which is not exclusive to Africa either...

antiochosvii
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by antiochosvii » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Armenian Cataphracts and Armenian cavalry are an incredible asset. Galatian warbands give some much-needed impact foot in a land of flimsy Thureophoroi. Pontus and Armenia can build a really mean combined arms force if they expand.

This is assuming you have FOG2 as well.

kvnrthr
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by kvnrthr » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:26 am

After checking I do notice a lot of different non-clumsy HI, but the Galatian ones stand out since they're in the middle of Asia minor so it'll be useful for factions that conquer that area.

Their usefulness in hills/plains definitely goes way up in FOG2. Superior warbands lose a melee against regular phalanxes, but if you bring a lot of them you have a good chance of getting a disrupt on impact.

Armenian cataphracts are quite a strange case. The clumsy modifier cancels out mountainmen somewhat, so you have cataphracts that are also OK in the mountains. Also in FOG2 they do terribly against pikemen, OK against spearmen and brilliantly against any legions/warbands, so I tend to export depending on what I'm facing.

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:28 am

Note that heavy infantry with terrain abilities may not be heavy infantry but medium infantry (loose formation warband); there doesn't appear to be any superior warband in Asia Minor or the Middle East (warband heavy infantry are mostly average warband when exported).

Noric cavalry are superior cavalry when converted to FOG but so far the only provincial superior lancers I have encountered between the Balkans and the Middle East are the Dacian heavy cavalry (I am trying to maintain peace with the Alans and Armenia so haven't seen theirs yet). Most of the Balkan and Asia Minor provincial light infantry have the mountain ability, which means they move faster in that terrain in Empires but gain nothing in FOG.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 am

If you have some ideas to make some provincial units more unique, don't hesitate. It can make into a patch.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Yaitz331
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Yaitz331 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:22 am

Pocus wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 am
If you have some ideas to make some provincial units more unique, don't hesitate. It can make into a patch.
Maybe give provincial units a bonus for fighting in their home province.
That'll give an incentive for players to use local forces in combating threats, as happened historically.

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:58 am

Yaitz331 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:22 am
That'll give an incentive for players to use local forces in combating threats, as happened historically.
Many already get that. For instance, units hired in the steppes get the steppe bonus, while those hired in the desert get the desert bonus (in both cases it costs less in that terrain to maintain them). I would like to see the Tisian or Danube infantry be converted to the Bastarnae or (superior unprotected infantry with falx) when they convert to FOG 2.

Yaitz331

Post by Yaitz331 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:01 pm

vakarr wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:58 am
Yaitz331 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:22 am
Many already get that. For instance, units hired in the steppes get the steppe bonus, while those hired in the desert get the desert bonus (in both cases it costs less in that terrain to maintain them). I would like to see the Tisian or Danube infantry be converted to the Bastarnae or (superior unprotected infantry with falx) when they convert to FOG 2.
That's terrain bonus. I mean a different bonus for being in their home province. So, say, Nabatean Cameliers will get a bonus for being in any desert, as well as a bonus for being in Nabatea.

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:53 am

I would like to see elephants get the siege bonus as they were quite useful in a siege. I haven't seen what happens in the Indian regions but perhaps there Indian elephants should get a provincial bonus to distinguish them from the smaller African/Syrian forest elephants

Nithus

Post by Nithus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:52 am

I've just recently found out that the Pictones (Scotland province) have HI that is non-clumsy AND have additional mountaineer trait (+1 ATCK/+1 DEF when fighting on hills and mountains), which can be deadly if combined with good generals. British Isles overall have really good roster, however British units are clumsy if memory serves (they have forester trait).

I will do a complete list and post it here
I think good idea would be differentiate at least slightly Celtic/Gallic/Aquitani medium cavalry. All of these units have the same stats and their provinces are neighboring each other. It really is a letdown to consolidate these lands if I play Celtic nation, because I virtually have the same units with no variation.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”