Scripts Modified - Game to be abandoned (Another Fatty)

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

uneducated
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Scripts Modified - Game to be abandoned (Another Fatty)

Post by uneducated » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:36 am

In a 14 player game, somebody modified their scripts and it has been suggested that the game be abandoned.

It isn't easy to have a multi-player game with so many people involved to progress through so many turns. It is a shame that the game should end like this.

devoncop
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: Scripts Modified - Game to be abandoned (Another Fatty)

Post by devoncop » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:47 am

Exactly. Hugely annoying.

I have had half a dozen games I have had to leave this way. Fortunately there are a large number of others proceeding without problems.

I am making a list of the players in the games without problems so I can set up invite games down the line protected by password so I will be as sure as I can be that these are reliable (non modding) players.

13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:01 am

Devoncop is ever vigilant and protective of the law! As we all should be.

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:10 am

13obo wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:01 am
Devoncop is ever vigilant and protective of the law! As we all should be.
:D :D :D

uneducated

Post by uneducated » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:05 pm

On one occasion where this happened before, the person who edited their game files did so quite innocently and mentioned what had happened. If you are in multi-player, you ought to be aware that editing the game is going to produce conflicts.

Unfortunately, there is at present no way to mark the game as abandoned. It will remain there in the lobby till kingdom come.

The larger the multi-player game, the better it should be. Unfortunately, due to the risk of players editing scripts or simply dropping out of the game altogether, they are likely to be the least enjoyable. This aspect of game play needs to be remedied soon.

FrenchDude
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by FrenchDude » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:19 pm

I’m no expert in modding at all, I haven’t had the time to really play with mods yet, but : There should be a way to mod safely the game without these inconveniences. A sort of mod folder, and a mod manager in game to select the required mod or the normal vanilla game. As I understand it, the actual state of the game is that the player mods the main folder of the game and there are no way to actually revert to the « vanilla » game without uninstalling the mod. Is that right ? If that is the case, then it’s a big issue, especially for multiplayer

MARVIN_THE_ARVN
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Yes, it is a pain, causes people to leave games.
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"

sage3
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by sage3 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:04 pm

FrenchDude wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:19 pm
I’m no expert in modding at all, I haven’t had the time to really play with mods yet, but : There should be a way to mod safely the game without these inconveniences. A sort of mod folder, and a mod manager in game to select the required mod or the normal vanilla game.
There is a way to do that.

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:58 pm

Sorry but it is simple

If you want to join a MP game don't mod your game.

People deserve a level playing field.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 am

In the next patch, the right hand notifications will get 5 possible levels through an option, so at least you won't need to edit messages.csv to see what you want.

Reserve a copy for MP and play your modded copy in SP if you want.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

AndrewGardner
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AndrewGardner » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 pm

sage3 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:04 pm
FrenchDude wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:19 pm
I’m no expert in modding at all, I haven’t had the time to really play with mods yet, but : There should be a way to mod safely the game without these inconveniences. A sort of mod folder, and a mod manager in game to select the required mod or the normal vanilla game.
There is a way to do that.
Correct, mods that are built by creating a new (or copied) scenario rather than editing files directly in the game installation will not interfere with playing the grand campaign in multiplayer. However, this does have some limitations, including not being able to apply a mod on the fly to a game started using the default grand campaign.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”