Intercept Orders

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

choppinlt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Intercept Orders

Post by choppinlt » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:41 am

I have not seen a comprehensive explanation regarding the Intercept movement order. The word intercept appears 2 times from my search of the manual. It basically says you can attempt to intercept a friendly army or an enemy army, but how is it supposed to work exactly? I know *how* to give the order, but what are the chances it is going to intercept the enemy? Are there factors that must be considered? How far will your army/navy travel to attempt to intercept? I have tried to intercept the enemy a couple times, but it has never been successful. I have never seen a fleet or army move more than 1 region attempting to intercept, so I have found issuing regular movement orders a better way to go based on the results I have seen. Is there anywhere I can find a good explanation on how it is supposed to work?

Thanks,
-choppinlt

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Re: Intercept Orders

Post by Pocus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:54 am

That's totally deterministic, but often the hunter will lose his chase if it moves out of detection.

The chaser will always move toward the region the prey is in. If it happens that the prey changes region, the chaser will redirect his movement. Once both are in the same region, or if the prey is not seen anymore, the order is cancelled.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

choppinlt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by choppinlt » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:56 pm

So how does the process work? Say the enemy retreats in to an undetected region while the pursuer follows. Assuming all forces move in the same impulse they should arrive at the same time. I assume the pursuer then detects the enemy again and tries to pursue further. That hasn’t worked for me yet, though I haven’t tried more than a few times on both land and sea. Or does moving to an undetected region auto break pursuit even if the enemy is reacquired?

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:25 pm

It's random, to not favor a faction over another, when each army moves one bit, then it is done in a random order. Then once everybody has moved one impulse, then battles check are done.

It means that if your enemy moves before you, then he might disappear for a moment, and this can abort pursuit. Or the contrary, if you move before him, then you maintain sight and then a battle can happen.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

choppinlt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by choppinlt » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:35 pm

For example: a retreating army moves 2 regions back (movement cost/region=1, so a total of 2 movement used). A pursuing army is given orders moving toward the retreating army 2 regions (also 2 movement used). Based on my understanding of what you have written the pursuer should never catch the retreating army regardless of the random movement selection, correct? The only way the pursuer can catch the retreating army in this case is to move a 3rd time in to the same region as the retreating army correct? I have no issues with the concept, I just want to make sure I understand. :wink:

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”