Germanic independent army region behaviour

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

lb9069
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Germanic independent army region behaviour

Post by lb9069 »

I've only been playing Empires for several weeks and started a fresh game with Rome when 1.04 came out. I'm 196 turns into the game and noticing the Germanic 'Independent' Army regions are displaying some not very independent behaviour. The regions are spawning armies of about 14-17 units (including province only units) which are merging, forming large armies of 30 to 60 units. These armies seem to be very aggressive and are completely taking apart the factions they come in contact with. Is this supposed to be the normal behaviour of the independent army regions?
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Germanic independent army region behaviour

Post by loki100 »

Not sure its actually as designed, but yes I've seen independent armies merge quite often. Now this only seems to happen when they are exactly the same type (so slaves-slaves; indy germans--indy germans). So if the number of such armies is small its no issue.

Germany is particularly prone to produce them as most nations have the clans trait so you get a lot of civil wars. The other time you'll see large armies is if say the Seleucids have collapsed and then it depends on which nations appear. But if they had taken places where there is no local faction then that too can be a breeding ground for very large independent stacks.

Occasionally I've seen massive slave armies, I guess collected together off different slave revolts.
Hendricus
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hendricus »

They are indeed merging large armies, and Germany is having a lot of regions to muster small armies. They are named independent but behave like a warchief is organising the lot. Would be great if instead of merging all the time there is a percentage they fight each other as animosity kicks in. So I look forward to the answer if this is intended behaviour ?
Darksky
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Darksky »

I always found this quite realistic.
German Indipendents are the etherogenous and potential "hordish" of "barbarians" that costantly threat my Roman Empire borders. They are too "tribal" and not civilized for forming a barbarian kingdom with which at least I can have some diplomatic agreement. Sometimes if I don't find strategicly convenient to conquer them I just hope they will get conquered by other "barbarians" kingdom in order to put there a bit of order :D
arralen

Post by arralen »

This can get quite out of hand ... I guess as they are "independent", no-one has to pay and feed them?
At this stage of the game, no nation can field such an army ... so in some sense, this is game-breaking I guess ...
Screen_00000000.jpg
Screen_00000000.jpg (743.83 KiB) Viewed 852 times
Also I noticed that those "independent" regions after a while have rediculous amounts of food stocks (the pictured one is rather modest) - amounts which they never could have produced, yet the "growth in X turns" shows even more absurd numbers?!

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”