SUGGESTION: Gaming Mountain Attacks

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

uneducated
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

SUGGESTION: Gaming Mountain Attacks

Post by uneducated » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:12 pm

It seems that, if you have a large army with a wide variety of troops, the best tactic is to shrink the attacking army down to 4 or 6 Heavy Infantry (whatever the size of the facing for the combat is) and then have an additional 4 or 6 Skirmirshers behind them.

If you instead attack with the full army, the combat will be resolved with your weaker, medium infantry in the front line. Even if they are Provincial mountainmen, it seems that they aren't as tough as Heavy Infantry. Though you might have a huge army, all the fighting takes place with your weaker units, which are destroyed and you lose the battle and your units.

I think this aspect of the game needs some correction, to encourage Medium Infantry to be of value in Mountainous terrain.

Soar
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: SUGGESTION: Gaming Mountain Attacks

Post by Soar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:02 pm

Most heavy infantry is weaker or at least way less cost-effective than medium infantry in mountains, as they suffer a -2 attack and defense penalty on that terrain (indicated on their unit card). In some circumstances a medium infantry might die where a heavy would survive because they have less hitpoints, but note that according to the manual, for pursuit purposes, the winner of the battle is determined based on the amount of damage inflicted, not on units destroyed.

lostangelonline
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lostangelonline » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:40 pm

uneducated wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:12 pm
It seems that, if you have a large army with a wide variety of troops, the best tactic is to shrink the attacking army down to 4 or 6 Heavy Infantry (whatever the size of the facing for the combat is) and then have an additional 4 or 6 Skirmirshers behind them.

If you instead attack with the full army, the combat will be resolved with your weaker, medium infantry in the front line. Even if they are Provincial mountainmen, it seems that they aren't as tough as Heavy Infantry. Though you might have a huge army, all the fighting takes place with your weaker units, which are destroyed and you lose the battle and your units.

I think this aspect of the game needs some correction, to encourage Medium Infantry to be of value in Mountainous terrain.
I agree. I have also seen better results when attacking with only frontline-number of my best troops + the same number of support units + cav. Attacking with all your army will sometimes put weaker units in frontline and have higher chances to loose the fight. The game should let us decide attack formation, if not capable of choosing best formation automatically.

Hendricus
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hendricus » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:33 am

Using a bigger army you can replace troops that get hits by fresh ones. Most heavy troops are clumsy and so do not fight well in Mountains.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”