Grognerd's Guide is FINISHED!

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

USGrant1962
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Grognerd's Guide is FINISHED!

Post by USGrant1962 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Swuul wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:17 pm
Seamus wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:45 pm
Pretty sure it is just Public Works and at least two additional T1 infrastructure buildings.
That is a different thing. The question was about the ability of Roman Legions to build roads, not the ability for a region to build roads :)

In case you are not aware of what is being discussed:
A roman army with at least one Legion (not Alae, has to be Legion (any of the three variations of Legion)) has the "More" option available in the army selection screen (next to to, or in addition to the "Disband" button (depending on where the army might be residing atm)). If you click that "More" button , you will see what buildings the army can build in the current region. If there are no buildings available for the army to build, then also the "More" button isn't visible.
Seamus is correct, the requirements are the same. A legion can only build roads in a region that could build roads.

And yes they can move and build.

Swuul
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Swuul » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:15 pm

USGrant1962 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:34 pm
Seamus is correct, the requirements are the same. A legion can only build roads in a region that could build roads.
Seamus screenshot however does not show a legion building a regional road, but a region building the regional road, so still two different things.

Anyway, I thought I was pretty sure I have not been able to build I have not been able to build regional roads with basic legions, maybe there has been some other issue at the time preventing it then. Definitively something I need to test immediatly when I get home and can launch the game :)
There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can't.

Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Seamus » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:20 pm

Oh cool. I knew legions could build a Public Works for money, but didn't know they could do the Regional Roads :)

Culthrasa
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Culthrasa » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Seamus wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:20 pm
Oh cool. I knew legions could build a Public Works for money, but didn't know they could do the Regional Roads :)
The best part for me is that they also can build Paved Roads... Since Paved Roads are Commercial their chance to pop up is quite small. Having a legion do the work makes it sooo much faster/more reliable... :)

jimwinsor
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by jimwinsor » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:25 pm

Swuul wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:16 pm
The guide is awesome btw :) I am using it as a reference guide as it is so well done and easy to read! One slight notice though, the guide mentions Roman legions can't build a Roman Camp (or Public Works etc) if the legion is moving; that is not correct (even though the tooltip in game seems to suggest that too) -> the legion *can* move and it will build the structure it was residing in at the start of the turn.
This is different from how I recall it working during playtesting (but my memory could could well be faulty!) but in any case, I've tested legion building on-the-move using the latest beta build, and can verify that Swuul is correct! So that part of the Guide has been updated accordingly. Much thanks to Swuul! :D
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

USGrant1962

Post by USGrant1962 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:32 pm

jimwinsor wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:25 pm
Swuul wrote:
The guide is awesome btw :) I am using it as a reference guide as it is so well done and easy to read! One slight notice though, the guide mentions Roman legions can't build a Roman Camp (or Public Works etc) if the legion is moving; that is not correct (even though the tooltip in game seems to suggest that too) -> the legion *can* move and it will build the structure it was residing in at the start of the turn.
This is different from how I recall it working during playtesting (but my memory could could well be faulty!) but in any case, I've tested legion building on-the-move using the latest beta build, and can verify that Swuul is correct! So that part of the Guide has been updated accordingly. Much thanks to Swuul! :D
Honestly I think it is too easy. I've exploited it by splitting off a single legion here and there to act like a permanent road crew*. Perhaps is should require no movement.

* I know, no one forces me to exploit it... :P

Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Seamus » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:47 pm

USGrant1962 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:32 pm
jimwinsor wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:25 pm
Swuul wrote:
Honestly I think it is too easy. I've exploited it by splitting off a single legion here and there to act like a permanent road crew*. Perhaps is should require no movement.

* I know, no one forces me to exploit it... :P
Also: I would assume that no other faction in the game can ever build "Legions" and that no other "unit" in the game has this 'public works construction' functionality.
VERY POWERFUL advantage of the Rome position, but doesn't strike me as ahistorical really.
Roads, as well as aqueducts and the like, were seemingly a universally cherished asset of the culture. I don't think I've ever encountered reference to any Roman commentator saying anything remotely like "roads are a waste of money and effort," and that is pretty remarkable for a culture that honestly included so much diversity of opinion and across so much time and space. I don't know what sort of tropes or schema about roads were common across Roman history, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were basically revered in much the same way as monuments like the Forum, Temple of Jupiter and the like.

USGrant1962

Post by USGrant1962 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:26 pm

I think it is a good benefit for Rome. I'm just suggesting that being able to build and move lets you build too fast. A couple of legions can pave the whole empire in a decade (if other prerequisites are met) which seems too much.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:58 pm

Is the pdf version that has a link in the intro on steam up-to-date?

jimwinsor
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by jimwinsor » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:04 pm

Blathergut wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:58 pm
Is the pdf version that has a link in the intro on steam up-to-date?
That is being done by someone else, so I actually don't know ...
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”