FoG Empires: Judean Zealots

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Dex___slith
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

FoG Empires: Judean Zealots

Post by Dex___slith » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:59 pm

Playing a Grand Campaign as Judea on difficult in Beta.
So I have had the Zealot Barracks built in my capital as well as a normal barracks in one of the other provinces in that region, I also have Solomons Temple.
In the course of the campaign I was gifted 3 Judean Zealots by the game but I cannot build any Zealots of my own, the Zealot symbol does not even appear as an option in the build queue.
Is this a known fault or is there something that I am not doing?
I should mention that I am not at civ lvl III yet if that makes a difference?

Culthrasa
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: FoG Empires: Judean Zealots

Post by Culthrasa » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 pm

To recruit zealots you need the zealots barrack,s a Tier II military structure, which has a prerequisite of a Synagog, a tier II religion which is an upgrade of the worship place...
I've gotten plenty in my judea campaign.. but truth be told.... zealots are lousy units...

Dex___slith

Post by Dex___slith » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:56 am

I have the barracks, I got it really early and thats why I have a problem, because despite its presence I am still unable to enlist the Zealots. They do not even come up as an option in the unit build queue.
Sure I know they are not that good, but after 100 turns I am unable to recruit even heavy infantry so I am relying on skirmishers!

Culthrasa

Post by Culthrasa » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Oke, think i figured it out.. You are referring to the Zealot barracks you got from the event right?
I went back to my old saves and looked at what i could build...
1. Only a Zealot barracks doesn't do anything.
2. A Zealot barracks and a training ground unlocks Phalanx, Hvy Inf and Zealots.
3. Only a training ground unlocks Hvy Inf.

So Zealot barracks functions like a normal barracks (unlocking Phalanx) but also as a bonus unlocks Zealots.

Hope it helps!

Dex___slith

Post by Dex___slith » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:14 pm

I have the training ground though its in another region in the Province. But the thing is I do not even have the HI or any higher grade units even showing in the build queue. I have literally been unable to field any unit higher than medium infantry in 100 turns so I have had to fight every battle manually cos all my units die when faced with HI or better in the sudden death battle.
But thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

vaalen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by vaalen » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:53 pm

Do you have a synagogue in Judea?

I recall that I needed to have one in order to recruit Zealots in the province of Judea, which is the only province n which I have been able to recruit them.

I respectfully disagree that Zealots are lousy units. They are excellent in arid terrain, and most of the regions around Judea. Properly supported Judean slingers, who also have the desertmen trait, they can defeat heavy infantry in such terrain, and I have done so many times.

I am hoping that building a synagogue in the province of Judea might work for you. If you already have one there, I do not know what else to suggest.

Best of luck,

Vaalen

Dex___slith

Post by Dex___slith » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi, yes I do have a synagogue in my Capital city with the Zealot barracks, in addition in Jerusalem I have Solomons Temple and in another region in my Capital province I have the training ground. I think I have all the boxes ticked, but looking closer I found that I am still only at civ lvl 1 and I suspect that is why ne infantry upgrades are available.
I agree totally with you about the slingers they are great and its the reason I have survived wars with all the majors, but I am still too weak to take the objectives to tick me up to a higher civ lvl (all owned by the leader). But I am finally at war with it so maybe I can grab enough objectives to tip me over.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:50 pm

Judea is a difficult nation, but you'll feel all fuzzy in the inside if you manage to finally expand and develop the temple and your main city :D
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

vaalen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by vaalen » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:59 pm

Dex___slith wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:38 pm
Hi, yes I do have a synagogue in my Capital city with the Zealot barracks, in addition in Jerusalem I have Solomons Temple and in another region in my Capital province I have the training ground. I think I have all the boxes ticked, but looking closer I found that I am still only at civ lvl 1 and I suspect that is why ne infantry upgrades are available.
I agree totally with you about the slingers they are great and its the reason I have survived wars with all the majors, but I am still too weak to take the objectives to tick me up to a higher civ lvl (all owned by the leader). But I am finally at war with it so maybe I can grab enough objectives to tip me over.
I think your civilization level must be the problem. I am at Civ level three, which for Judea is a Theocracy, and can build Heavy infantry and Phalanxes in every province where I have a training ground and a Zealot barracks. There are many advantages in being a Theocracy, especially for Judea. I am in turn four hundred of my Judean game, and enjoying it immensely. I think you will really enjoy adding Zealots to the Judean slingers, they are a great combination in the arid regions, and move very fast as well.

The other thing you can do to get more tokens besides capturing objectives is to raise your cultural ratio. Building Synagogues is especially good for this, but any cultural building will help. If you can get it high enough, it can give you tokens, and you can have a fifty percent chance of getting one each turn, or even higher. Of course, you may need most of your production for the way, and buildings that will help that.

Hope this helps,

Vaalen

vaalen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by vaalen » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:02 pm

Pocus wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:50 pm
Judea is a difficult nation, but you'll feel all fuzzy in the inside if you manage to finally expand and develop the temple and your main city :D
That is absolutely true. I have done it, and it is one of the most enjoyable accomplishments of my long career as a gamer. Now i actually lead in legacy points, and am widening the gap between Judea and those accursed Romans.

Dex___slith

Post by Dex___slith » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:08 pm

Well I have achieved lvl III and I am finally able to get get HI and Zealots so I am not outgunned (outsworded?) anymore. Expanding and things are looking good.
Thanks for all the advice and comments.
I have questions about the math in the game but I will make another post on that.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”