Attack and Defence Again

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Ludendorf
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Attack and Defence Again

Post by Ludendorf » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:23 am

Yes, I know, another incredibly specific mechanics thread. I think I need to turn all of the kind responses I've had for these into a guide at some point.

If I am besieging a province, and my enemy moves to relieve that province, will I be attacking or defending? What if the province falls to siege, and then the enemy invades the now-taken province on the same turn resolution.

I said incredibly specific. :P

Soar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Attack and Defence Again

Post by Soar » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:39 pm

If one army moved during the last movement tick and the other did not, the one that did not move is always the defender, based on this post. It used to work in a different, more opaque manner before version 1.0.6.

I'm not sure what happens when two armies arrive in the same region at the same time (and yes, you can make that happen while still besieging the region - your army only needs to be in the region at the *start* of each turn to keep the siege going!). I think the "exact impulse" mentioned by Pocus in the linked post might mean the randomly determined movement sequence during the individual movement tick? In which case, it's probably a coinflip, though I don't quite recall exactly what was claimed in the discussion I saw on the micro-details of how movement works in the game.

loki100
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by loki100 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:10 pm

Soar wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:39 pm
I'm not sure what happens when two armies arrive in the same region at the same time (and yes, you can make that happen while still besieging the region - your army only needs to be in the region at the *start* of each turn to keep the siege going!). I think the "exact impulse" mentioned by Pocus in the linked post might mean the randomly determined movement sequence during the individual movement tick? In which case, it's probably a coinflip, though I don't quite recall exactly what was claimed in the discussion I saw on the micro-details of how movement works in the game.
yes, if both arrive in the same impulse its random as to who defends and who attacks

impulses aren't random, in effect the first sees every unit on the map expend 1 MP, the second sees every unit expend its second MP and so on. So more MP mean you carry on moving while other stacks/units have stopped.

Bullseye500
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Bullseye500 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:39 pm

Ludendorf wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:23 am
Yes, I know, another incredibly specific mechanics thread. I think I need to turn all of the kind responses I've had for these into a guide at some point.

That's a hell of a good idea!

Soar

Post by Soar » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:45 pm

loki100 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:10 pm
impulses aren't random, in effect the first sees every unit on the map expend 1 MP, the second sees every unit expend its second MP and so on. So more MP mean you carry on moving while other stacks/units have stopped.
Within an individual movement tick / impulse, armies (apparently?) move in some sort of randomized sequential order. However, battles are only resolved once once all armies have completed their movement for the tick, so I'm not sure whether that has any relevance to gameplay. I know I didn't just imagine it as I was able to find one comment from Pocus implying it was the case.

My original speculation on how it might relate to the attacker/defender mechanics was just grasping straws, though. In the end, if it's always a coinflip, the exact mechanism that makes it into a coinflip doesn't really matter.

desertedfox
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by desertedfox » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:45 pm

If the attack and defence values of all units were indentical and not differnt, ie attack 7 defecne 7, then this issue would go away to a large degree.

To be handicapped because your pike are defending whilst the enemy were lucky, (yes lucky, becasue that is what is boils down to 90% of the time), to be the attacker and receive a huge and unrealistic combat advantage.

Pocus has stated one of the main reasons for the differecne is to facilitate strategic manouvering and making the game more interesting.

I disagree. There is enough strategic manouvering happening when leader traits and the terrain are taken into account, without adding in an artifically lower defence value of many units.

Doing this can often result in a lop sided battle that you had no control over as the enemy entered your region by going first in the turn sequence and you just have to suck it up.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”