How would I change what units are converted to when importing a Field of Glory II battle?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

antiochosvii
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

How would I change what units are converted to when importing a Field of Glory II battle?

Post by antiochosvii » Tue May 19, 2020 7:05 pm

For instance, I love my campaign as Judea but regular, mercenary AND heavy infantry all convert to Thureophoroi when I import a battle into FOGII. I find this rather dull, and I want to switch it around so perhaps Judean heavy infantry are armored eastern foot or some such thing.

How would I do that? What files do I edit to change which FOG Empires unit converts to which FOGII unit?

Thanks in advance! Love the game and beyond stoked for the new DLC.

FrenchDude
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: How would I change what units are converted to when importing a Field of Glory II battle?

Post by FrenchDude » Wed May 20, 2020 9:20 am

It’s quite easy to do actually !

What I did is that I created a new scenario (modding the main game is not advised, the better thing to do is to create a new scenario and to play around with the files there)

You can see how to do it there :

http://archonwiki.slitherine.com/index. ... es_Modding

Follow the step. If you want to change the FOG2 units conversion, it’s a lot easier than creating new units, don’t worry : all you have to do is to go in the UNITS.CSV file you copied from the Grand Campaign scénario folder to your new modded scenario.

Then you open the file with the software that you prefer (I use Opencalc for this, it’s free and easy to use). When opening the CSV file, be sure to tick the case « semi-colon separation » or something looking like that (sorry I don’t remember i’m Not in front of my PC), because otherwise the file won’t be easy to read. Once you do this, the informations will be divided between lines and columns just like a regular Excel file.
You will see the units (lines) and multiple columns affecting different things (recruitment cost, etc... and fog2 conversion). You just have to change the FOG2 unit name link to the unit you want (look at the Squad file in FOG2 to see the unit’s names using Excel) and boom it’s done.

Sorry if i’m not more precise, I’m not in front of my computer right now !

Edit : I don’t know if you’re familiar with the TT Mod from FOG2 ? You can use it as a Global mod in FOG2, and then exported battles from FOGE will work using FOG2 TT Mod’s units. Almost all unit names from vanilla FOG2 are the same in FOG2 TT mod, so there’s no need to modify anything if you don’t add any new units ( I didn’t have any trouble using it without modifying anything at first, then I started creating my own FOGE units and linked them to FOG2 TT Mod units, it’s easy to do), and you can use units that aren’t in the Vanilla FOG2 if you want more diversity for your FOGE exported battles ! The TT mod Jewish army lists are quite cool

antiochosvii
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: How would I change what units are converted to when importing a Field of Glory II battle?

Post by antiochosvii » Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 pm

FrenchDude wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:20 am
It’s quite easy to do actually !

What I did is that I created a new scenario (modding the main game is not advised, the better thing to do is to create a new scenario and to play around with the files there)

You can see how to do it there :

http://archonwiki.slitherine.com/index. ... es_Modding

Follow the step. If you want to change the FOG2 units conversion, it’s a lot easier than creating new units, don’t worry : all you have to do is to go in the UNITS.CSV file you copied from the Grand Campaign scénario folder to your new modded scenario.

Then you open the file with the software that you prefer (I use Opencalc for this, it’s free and easy to use). When opening the CSV file, be sure to tick the case « semi-colon separation » or something looking like that (sorry I don’t remember i’m Not in front of my PC), because otherwise the file won’t be easy to read. Once you do this, the informations will be divided between lines and columns just like a regular Excel file.
You will see the units (lines) and multiple columns affecting different things (recruitment cost, etc... and fog2 conversion). You just have to change the FOG2 unit name link to the unit you want (look at the Squad file in FOG2 to see the unit’s names using Excel) and boom it’s done.

Sorry if i’m not more precise, I’m not in front of my computer right now !

Edit : I don’t know if you’re familiar with the TT Mod from FOG2 ? You can use it as a Global mod in FOG2, and then exported battles from FOGE will work using FOG2 TT Mod’s units. Almost all unit names from vanilla FOG2 are the same in FOG2 TT mod, so there’s no need to modify anything if you don’t add any new units ( I didn’t have any trouble using it without modifying anything at first, then I started creating my own FOGE units and linked them to FOG2 TT Mod units, it’s easy to do), and you can use units that aren’t in the Vanilla FOG2 if you want more diversity for your FOGE exported battles ! The TT mod Jewish army lists are quite cool

AH! This is so helpful. The edit even more so than the answer to my actual question. I have put dozens of hours into the TT mod and I have long fantasized about TT units tied to FOG:E. Certainly for the DLC about to release I fully intend to use this info that you've provided and add some units in.

I would add -- if you uploaded your mod for the main Grand Campaign with TT mod units, I guarantee it would have great success around here. I'd download it. Of course I will certainly be doing some modding of my own thanks to your advice, but seriously consider putting it on here! Such hard work would be appreciated by the forum, I suspect.

FrenchDude
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by FrenchDude » Thu May 21, 2020 9:06 am

Well actually, I do plan to mod more things in my custom scenario this summer after I graduate from college ! I’d like to rework some of the Diadochi’s units and add new unique units to the Dacians, the Illyrians, the Thracians, and some Hellenic factions in order to make the FOG 2 exported battles use more varied units thanks to the TT mod, while still trying to stay historically accurate and not disrupting FOGE’s vanilla balance too much.

For example, I thought about reworking the Hellenic Heavy infantry :
- Mainland Greece and Greek city states such as Sparta, Athens, and Macedonia will be able to recruit Hoplites as their heavy infantry
- The Successor states will be able to recruit Levy Pikemen as their main Heavy infantry (probably a « Raw » quality version of the Pantodapoi Pikemen from TT Mod, converting to less FOG2 units than the regular Hellenic « hoplite » Heavy infantry)

I still don’t know if I’ll tie these two Hellenic « Heavy infantry » units to some select factions, or to an area of recruitment (balance between gameplay and historical fidelity). If I manage to do something good enough, I’ll upload it on this forum !

And since modifying existing units is very easy and adding new ones require only slightly more work, I think that with a few explanations (and perhaps after starting with my little mod), lots of fellows here will be able to modify their own scenario easily as they see fit !

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”