how important are base depths?

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

samwardesq
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

how important are base depths?

Post by samwardesq »

My gaming circle, using 5mm figures, are basing up using the following scheme;
30 x 15 mm HI (2 tight ranks of figures)
30 x 20 mm MF (2 looser ranks) LF (1 loose rank)
30 x 25 mm Cav (1 rank)
30 x 30 mm Elephants, etc, etc.

However, some of the 5mm HF spearmen figures with spears inclined forwards are too deep to be mounted in 2 ranks (according to our scheme) on a 15 mm deep base, so we are thinking of prioritising the 'look' over our scheme and mounting these HF units on a deeper base, since it seems from our preliminary games that base depth doesn't seem to have much effect on the way the game is played,
can anyone reading this see a problem?
Cheers, Sam
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: how important are base depths?

Post by petedalby »

It shouldn't be a problem at all - other than giving more 'flank' to be charged.

But if you are all adopting the same base sizes you should be fine.
Pete
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

I can see no problems at all. I'm pretty sure the rules state that base depth is not too important, its base width that is critical. Base them on the same depth as the MF
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
Jhykronos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Jhykronos »

samwardesq wrote:My gaming circle, using 5mm figures, are basing up using the following scheme;
30 x 15 mm HI (2 tight ranks of figures)
30 x 20 mm MF (2 looser ranks) LF (1 loose rank)
30 x 25 mm Cav (1 rank)
30 x 30 mm Elephants, etc, etc.

However, some of the 5mm HF spearmen figures with spears inclined forwards are too deep to be mounted in 2 ranks (according to our scheme) on a 15 mm deep base, so we are thinking of prioritising the 'look' over our scheme and mounting these HF units on a deeper base, since it seems from our preliminary games that base depth doesn't seem to have much effect on the way the game is played,
can anyone reading this see a problem?
Cheers, Sam
Just make sure that when turning, etc., your new formations would work the same as if you were based in your "official" scheme, and nobody should have any objections.
gozerius
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by gozerius »

Thus disproving the claim that base depths aren't important.
Thracians
Classical Indians
Medieval
-Germans (many flavors), Danes, Low Countries
Burgundians
In progress - Later Hungarians, Grand Moravians
ShrubMiK
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ShrubMiK »

There are a number of areas in which depth can make a difference (or rather the ration of depth to width)

e.g. you have 2 BGs in front, 1 in the middle behind them. You wheel the two fron BGs outwards and hope to allow room for the one behind to come through the gap. The deeper the bases, the further you need to whell and/or advance in order for the inner rear corners of the front BGs not to get in the way.

As long as everybody playing together follows the same scheme and it's kept within reasonable bounds (i.e. no mob guarding your flank with a base depth of 1 metre sacrificially impeding the enemy outflanking movement for a critical turn or two ;)), it won't make a lot of difference to the game. The main problems arise when playing against people with different depths, and then it potentially gets complicated agreeing in advance what will happen in lots of different cases to avoid argument later.
pyruse
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by pyruse »

So long as both sides are based the same it matters very little.
For instance, my 20mm ECW armies are based on 40mm squares (4 figures in two ranks for infantry, 2 figures for cavalry).
This is completely the wrong shape, but it work absolutely fine for FOG:R, because both sides are the same.
It looks good, too, with nice deep formations.

Return to “Modelling”