Starter Army Packs - Essex or Old Glory 15s

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

tvknight415
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Starter Army Packs - Essex or Old Glory 15s

Post by tvknight415 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:00 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the starter armys from either Essex or Old Glory 15s? I have a few questions about the figures:

-Do Essex minis come with lances and shield molded to the cavalry riders, or do they have to be glued on (from the pics on Old Glory's site, it appears theirs do). My concern is for quick assembly (just glue rider to horse, prime, paint, and base). I did a later crusader army with Legio Heroica minis and I would like to avoid having to glue lances/spears/shields onto minis (although other than that, their minis are awesome!).

-How are they in regards to softness? Will lances/spears bend easily?

-Overall, if you have experience with both, which would you go with?

Thanks.

gozerius
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Starter Army Packs - Essex or Old Glory 15s

Post by gozerius » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Depends on the figure. Essex figures generally come with lance and shield molded on fig, but not always.
Same with OG 15s. Both use relatively soft metal, so lances will bend. Essex lances molded separately are soft metal. Old Glory uses straight wire, fairly stiff.
Thracians
Classical Indians
Medieval
-Germans (many flavors), Danes, Low Countries
Burgundians
In progress - Later Hungarians, Grand Moravians

titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Starter Army Packs - Essex or Old Glory 15s

Post by titanu » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:50 am

Essex heavy knights are mostly separate lances. Cavalry etc have them attached. Essex metal is very good you can bend them back into position for years without breaking.

Return to “Modelling”