15mm Gauls - USA

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

NealSmith
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

15mm Gauls - USA

Post by NealSmith » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi All,

I did some searching, but didn't find an answer... I've also been web surfing, but not finding enough...

It's been quite a while since I've done 15mm Ancients figures, so forgive some of the basic questions. I am also looking for a perspective from folks in the USA since the exchange rate will enter into this... ;)

- For 15mm Gauls what are the manufacturers that people buy? I know that Xyston has a limited selection (are they expanding?). Old Glory 15s, Corvus Belli (look nice too) I used to buy Essex in the early days of DBM and before.

- What is the best "value"? The really nice figures are very expensive because of the exchange rate, but the cheaper ones (OG 15s) just aren't as appealing to look at, IMO. Is that a fair judgment of the OG figures since I haven't seen them "in the flesh"? How's Essex these days?

- I'm seriously considering Sash and Saber 40mm figures, but my group wants to do 15mm. :)

Thanks for any comments.

mdoolitt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mdoolitt » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:38 pm

Essex is still Essex, imho. But their website has a lot of photos of their stuff now. Take a look and see if it appeals to you.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:11 pm

I suppose the real question is are you a good painter and does it matter to you if your figures are really nice or just good enough.

Yes Corvus Belli wil cost much more than Old Glory but is the difference worth it to you?

As an example I have just bought a load of WWII 15mm from a very cheap manufacturer in the US rather than Battlefront because I can get more than twice the number of tanks for my money and as I need 30 odd tanks cost was a significant consideration.

NealSmith
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by NealSmith » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi Hammy!

I agree with your comments. That's sort of why I'm in the quandary... :)

I'm a decent painter. Probably not going to win awards, but I'm at least average. I like figures that are good looking with detail, etc.

I'm just shocked at the prices these days! :)

Thanks,
Neal

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:31 pm

NealSmith wrote:Hi Hammy!

I agree with your comments. That's sort of why I'm in the quandary... :)

I'm a decent painter. Probably not going to win awards, but I'm at least average. I like figures that are good looking with detail, etc.

I'm just shocked at the prices these days! :)

Thanks,
Neal
Part of the problem is that Old Glory are very cheap in the US, part is that the dollar is worth buttons.

In the UK where the differential is about 20-30% it really is irrelevant.

If I were you I would work out what the OG lead would cost, do the same for CB and then decide if the much nicer figures were worth the difference to you.

In the end it has to be your judgment. That said the CB figures are nice... What about mixing the two?

NealSmith
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by NealSmith » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:09 pm

I hear ya Hammy! :)

The OG starter army is $100 US. Just the warbands for CB appear to be around $260 US!

Not sure its worth it to me...

Ironhand
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Ironhand » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:53 pm

Neal doesn't do himself justice. He's an excellent painter, as those of us who have seen his work can testify. Don't you dare even mention 40MM, either Neal. :shock:

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:36 pm

NealSmith wrote:I hear ya Hammy! :)

The OG starter army is $100 US. Just the warbands for CB appear to be around $260 US!

Ouch!! I suspect that OG is the way to go....

Rather like my BT-7s, 35 tanks from Gaming Models $140 or £70, 35 tanks from Battlefront £175 or $350 !! I can't justify spending £175 on tanks but £70 is a different matter.

matt0341
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by matt0341 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:29 am

Not sure if you know, but Neal Catapano at The War Store has Corvus Belli at 4.29 USD per 8 foot.

Im going with Old Glory too, just because of the price. I don't mind the look of the figures either. Things just keep getting more expensive and Im not getting any richer.

You may want to check out the Gladiator miniatures starter armies. Mark Severin at Scale Creep Miniatures is selling them. Unlike the OG starter armies, these come with bases and a camp.

There is also Chariot Miniatures. You can get them from Little Wars in Houston. http://littlewars.net/
I don't know if there will be starter armies or not. You can see pictures of them at the Magister Millitum site here http://www.magistermilitum.com/prodtype ... istory=cat .

Hope this helps.

NealSmith
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by NealSmith » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:26 am

Ironhand wrote:Neal doesn't do himself justice. He's an excellent painter, as those of us who have seen his work can testify. Don't you dare even mention 40MM, either Neal. :shock:
Bob? :) Thanks for the compliments.

I'd be getting some 40mm if he had more of a complete line... just for the heck of it! :)

NealSmith
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by NealSmith » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:29 am

matt0341 wrote:Not sure if you know, but Neal Catapano at The War Store has Corvus Belli at 4.29 USD per 8 foot.

Im going with Old Glory too, just because of the price. I don't mind the look of the figures either. Things just keep getting more expensive and Im not getting any richer.

You may want to check out the Gladiator miniatures starter armies. Mark Severin at Scale Creep Miniatures is selling them. Unlike the OG starter armies, these come with bases and a camp.

There is also Chariot Miniatures. You can get them from Little Wars in Houston. http://littlewars.net/
I don't know if there will be starter armies or not. You can see pictures of them at the Magister Millitum site here http://www.magistermilitum.com/prodtype ... istory=cat .

Hope this helps.
OK, I didn't see that price on the War Store, but I'm not sure I looked at it that closely... That's a pretty good price actually...

Thanks for the info about Gladiator and Chariot. I'm off to check them out now! :)

NealSmith
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by NealSmith » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:49 am

NealSmith wrote:I hear ya Hammy! :)

I must apologize... I messed up...

From the various pictures I was looking at, I thought the CB packs only had 4 figures in them. They actually have 8... This makes the warbands about $130 US...

Duh...

Ironhand

Post by Ironhand » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:01 pm

Hi Neal! Yep, it's me. :)

TigerG
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by TigerG » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:03 am

I always go for the better figures. Less armies better figures.

Tony G.

NealSmith
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by NealSmith » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:44 am

TigerG wrote:I always go for the better figures. Less armies better figures.

Tony G.

I like it! :)

Ironhand

Post by Ironhand » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:05 pm

TigerG wrote:I always go for the better figures. Less armies better figures.

Tony G.
That's my plan wherever possible. If I were to do a Greek army, it would definitely be all Xyston.

NealSmith
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by NealSmith » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:53 pm

I've ended up ordering Corvus Belli.

Thanks for the help guys!

gavin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by gavin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:42 pm

NealSmith wrote:I've ended up ordering Corvus Belli.

Good choice. I have just been putting together my CB Celts and they are rather nice. :wink:

NealSmith
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by NealSmith » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:05 pm

gavin wrote:
NealSmith wrote:I've ended up ordering Corvus Belli.

Good choice. I have just been putting together my CB Celts and they are rather nice. :wink:

Excellent! It's good to hear stuff like this! ;)

lpgamble
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

15mm Spanish

Post by lpgamble » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:15 pm

Pass of the North has very nice Spanish, Gauls and Marian Romans, but the owner has back troubles now and will be behind for a while.

Return to “Modelling”