Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

A forum to post news about tournaments around the world. Please post any such messages here!

Moderators: hammy, Ghaznavid, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Post Reply
stancolleymore
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by stancolleymore » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:46 pm

The dates for Burton 2019 have been announced. There is no guarantee of a FoGAM tournament so can we add a comment if you want to go.
Bob Amey

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger
Posts: 3755
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by dave_r » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:26 pm

How has this happened? This is the same date as Belgarum, which will mean a much reduced number of teams likely.
Evaluator of Supremacy

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Posts: 2940
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:15 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by madaxeman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Have the dates for Venta been fixed? I can’t see anything on this forum about 2019

I’m looking to update the bhgs calendar in the next couple of weeks too, so if there are any fixed dates which haven’t been published yet it’d be great if anyone could drop me a line...
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Posts: 2983
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:48 am

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by grahambriggs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:52 pm

madaxeman wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:22 pm
Have the dates for Venta been fixed? I can’t see anything on this forum about 2019

I’m looking to update the bhgs calendar in the next couple of weeks too, so if there are any fixed dates which haven’t been published yet it’d be great if anyone could drop me a line...
Tim, it came out as an email to the FOGAM players association, I've forwarded to you. No details as yet other than the dates.

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger
Posts: 3755
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by dave_r » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 am

Right, so we now have two different methods of doing exactly the same thing. Which has meant that there has been miscommunication because somebody doesn't have access to one or the other.

Who would have thought it?
Evaluator of Supremacy

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Posts: 2983
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:48 am

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by grahambriggs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:09 pm

dave_r wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 am
Right, so we now have two different methods of doing exactly the same thing. Which has meant that there has been miscommunication because somebody doesn't have access to one or the other.

Who would have thought it?
Well, not really. Badcon and Belgarum were on the same weekend last year too. And the FOG players association wasn't going then. I spoke to David Bannister about Belgarum 10 days ago and while they have booked the hall I don't think they have sorted out the competition detail as yet.

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger
Posts: 3755
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by dave_r » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:38 pm

I believe David told Dean when Belgarum was scheduled, all in all acomplete shambles.
Evaluator of Supremacy

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Posts: 2940
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:15 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by madaxeman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Given the relative scale and resulting challenges with booking suitably-sized venues, I’d hazard a guess (and it is a guess) that VB may have more flexibility with dates than Burton.

Burton has also been on pretty much the same weekend for I think 23 years...
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger
Posts: 3755
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by dave_r » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 pm

madaxeman wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:16 pm
Given the relative scale and resulting challenges with booking suitably-sized venues, I’d hazard a guess (and it is a guess) that VB may have more flexibility with dates than Burton.

Burton has also been on pretty much the same weekend for I think 23 years...
No - it used to be earlier in February. Sometimes in January.
Evaluator of Supremacy

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Posts: 2940
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:15 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by madaxeman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:02 am

The file info embedded in the photos from my match reports of Burton 2010 shows that they were taken on 20th February that year, so that would suggest Burton has been around these dates for quite some years now.

Deans difficulties with securing a venue in recent years are also well known...
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Posts: 2983
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:48 am

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by grahambriggs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 pm

madaxeman wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:02 am
The file info embedded in the photos from my match reports of Burton 2010 shows that they were taken on 20th February that year, so that would suggest Burton has been around these dates for quite some years now.

Deans difficulties with securing a venue in recent years are also well known...
Tim, how far in advance do you book Manchester Uni for Britcon? I'm thinking it's probably getting on for a year. Both Belgarum and Badcon take lots of organising and some risk. It's a shame both are on the same weekend but they'll be booked in now.

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger
Posts: 3755
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by dave_r » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:11 pm

grahambriggs wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 pm
madaxeman wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:02 am
The file info embedded in the photos from my match reports of Burton 2010 shows that they were taken on 20th February that year, so that would suggest Burton has been around these dates for quite some years now.

Deans difficulties with securing a venue in recent years are also well known...
Tim, how far in advance do you book Manchester Uni for Britcon? I'm thinking it's probably getting on for a year. Both Belgarum and Badcon take lots of organising and some risk. It's a shame both are on the same weekend but they'll be booked in now.
Funny you should say that, they were both speaking to each other more than a year ago to make sure it didn't happen again this year...
Evaluator of Supremacy

madaxeman
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Posts: 2940
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:15 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by madaxeman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:40 pm

Britcon is always the second weekend in August, unless the venue moves the goalposts... however the date gets nailed on around 8 months out..ish

My comments were more about suggesting that Badcon, as a bigger event in a (I guess) more in demand busier venue might have less choice, and may have its dates determined by what the venue has available to a greater extent than Venta.
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

dene
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by dene » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry to be coming to this thread a little late.

We will be offering FOG A at Burton next year. I see it clashes with Winchester, I'm afraid we cannot change our date. We cannot get the venue on the preceding weekend and the following weekend would clash with both the Hammerhead and Abingdon shows.

FOG Ancients Doubles, 900 points. Version 3 rules, new army lists book 1, £35 per team.

For full details please see the BAD site www.badwargamers.com and follow the BADCON link.

regards Dene

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger
Posts: 3755
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by dave_r » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:58 am

Any news on runners and riders?
Evaluator of Supremacy

dene
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by dene » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:18 pm

Hi,

Runners and riders for Burton 2019

1 BOB MEDCRAFT & PETER CARD SELEUCID 156BC
2 NIGEL PHILLIPS & NEIL SIDDON SMITH L. ACH PERSIAN 345BC
3 TERRY & ALI SHAW L. REP ROMAN 90BC
4 BOB AMEY & PETER BUTLER MINOAN 1450BC
5 ANDY & KEV ELLIS SARMATIAN 1AD
6 DAVE RUDDOCK & PHIL POWELL WARRING STATES CHINESE 200BC

Regards Dene

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger
Posts: 3755
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by dave_r » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:24 am

I think the results were:

1. Dave Ruddock and Phil Powell (Warring states Chinese)
2. Terry Shaw and Ali Shaw (Late Republican Roman)
3. Andy Ellis and Kev Ellis (Sarmatian)
4. Bob Amey and Peter Butler (Minoan)
5. Bob Medcraft and Peter Card (Seleukid)
6. Nigel Phillips and Neil Siddon-Smith (Persian)

The chinese managed to amass around 120 points from 4 games - only failing to break the Romans, who were dispatched 20-11. We didn't get to play the Seleukid's.

Terry _may_ have stopped grumbling about dice at the moment. But I suspect not... He also still thinks Polearms aren't too good...
Evaluator of Supremacy

dene
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by dene » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:28 pm

HI,

Here are the results for FOG AM at Burton.

1st Dave Ruddock & Phil Powell Warring States Chinese 122pts
2nd Terry & Ali Shaw L. Republican Roman 92pts
3rd Andy & Kevin Ellis Sarmatian 72pts
4th Bob Medcraft & Peter Card Seleucid 60pts
5th Bob Amey & Peter Butler Minoan 49pts
6th Nigel Phillips & Neil Siddon Smith L Achaemenid Persian 20pts

Thanks for coming, Regards Dene

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Posts: 8638
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Manchester

Re: Burton 2019 23/24th February 2019

Post by philqw78 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:27 am

The invincible Chinese were not vinced
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

Post Reply

Return to “Tournaments”