For your feedback on the public beta

Moderator: Tamas

Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory II 1.5.15 Public Beta

Post by Tamas »

Hi Everyone,

Work on the game has not stopped since the release of Wolves at the Gate of course. We now have a number of tweaks that warrant a new update. However, due to their possible impact we would like to ask you to help us test them before we release an official patch.

If you are interested, you can download the public beta update from the Members Area. You need to have Field of Glory II registered to your account in which case that link will take you to the game's "Updates" page where you will find the download.

The public beta is also available on Steam, as a beta branch. To activate it, you need to use the Steam client:
1. In your Library, right-click Field of Glory II, and choose "Properties
2. In the new window, select the "Betas" tab
3. On the drop-down menu, select "openbeta - Open Beta", and click Close. Steam will proceed to update your game.

Please post your feedback in THIS SUBFORUM

Here is the list of changes:

Note that you can’t test the fix for automatically swapping to the GOG version of Empires with the beta build, because the automatic swap only works with a release version of FOG2. You can, however, start the GOG version of Empires manually and it will read the export file from the Beta version of FOG2.
Beta Version 1.5.15
Sandbox Campaigns:
o There is now a toggleable button in the Sandbox Campaign set up screen that allows you to define the focus of the campaign:
 Default: Campaign may involve other enemies as well as the main protagonists and their local allies.
 Focused: Campaign may involve historical allies local to both main protagonists, but not attacks by other enemies.
 Duel: Campaign will only involve the main protagonists. (Although the player may get the option to seek troop contingents from his local allies)
o Campaign allies are now matched against the enemy army list (and enemy allies’ army list) by date as well as geography if the Date filter is on. This eliminates a few anachronistic alliances that could sometimes occur with the previous version.
Army Lists:
o Added some unarmoured cavalry to Polish 966-1057 AD list.
o Anglo-Danish army list side name changed to Anglo-Danish (instead of Anglo-Saxon).
Bug Fixes:
o Fixed bug that could show a string from the Epic Battle module in the tooltip for the No Allies line in the allies list box.
o After an Empires battle, the GOG version of FOG: Empires should now open automatically if it was the last version of Empires used.

Beta Version 1.5.14
Please retest the game to check whether anything has inadvertently been bugged by the changes listed below, especially the changes to AI reserve cavalry behaviour, Fragmented unit movement, Threatened Flank CT modifier fix and the fix to the MP Lobby tooltips for battles using TT Mod or Silk Road.
Gameplay:
o Improved consistency of how a unit being Fragmented affects different forms of movement.
Allies:
o Byzantine 963-987 AD allies added to Arab (North Africa) 789-999 AD list.
o Arab (North Africa) 789-999 AD allies added to Byzantine 963-987 AD list.
o Viking (Ireland) 900-1049 AD allies added to Scots 851-1051 AD list.
o Scots 851-1051 AD allies added to Viking (Ireland) 900-1049 list.
AI:
o Improved AI for AI reserve cavalry.
Manual:
o Correction: Pike units cease to be rated as Shock troops once the entire back rank of models has been lost. This means that they once they have suffered 25% losses, they no longer follow up enemy that fall back from them.
Bug Fixes:
o Fixed various minor army list date range issues.
o Tweaked height of dismounted armoured Muslim lancers slightly.
o Fixed bug that could sometimes cause Threatened Flank CT modifier not to be applied for CT tests following automatically resolved melees.
o Fixed issue of allies not showing correctly in MP Lobby for battles using user created custom battle modules, such as TT Mod and Silk Road
Enjoy, and thanks for the help!
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Field of Glory II 1.5.14 Public Beta

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Just wanted to point out a typo - 75% losses for pikes should be 25%
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:59 pm Just wanted to point out a typo - 75% losses for pikes should be 25%
True
Richard Bodley Scott

Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

In order to organise the public beta better, I have opened a subforum for feedback, check the first post for the link, please.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Things that need testing in this beta are:

1) The MP lobby tooltips should be fixed for allies in MP battles from TT Mod, Silk Road or Mercenaries mod. The fix won't work for old challenges, only ones created after v1.5.14 was installed. There was also a bug whereby having TT Mod/Silk Road etc. games in the Lobby could affect the allies reported in the tooltip for vanilla games.

Please try out MP games with allies using either TT Mod or Silk Road (using armies and allies that are not in the vanilla game) and with the vanilla Custom Battles module. Please report any anomalies in the tooltips - either in the Challenges tabs or in the My Games tabs. These anomalies, if they occur, could be in the tooltips for Mod games or vanilla games.

2) AI reserve cavalry behaviour. Are they now behaving more responsively, and no longer sometimes hanging back too far and for too long? Any changes in AI group movement behaviour by other AI teams? - these would be an unintended side effect of the fix for AI reserves.

3) Movement reduction for Fragmented units. This has been changed to be more consistent. Any illogical side effects?

4) Threatened Flank CT modifier fix - this has been fixed so that it always works, even during automatic combat resolution in the "between turns" phase. However, in order to make it work in that phase, enemy units will cause the modifier if they are in charge range behind the testing unit's flank even if the enemy unit is hidden. (This is because the code that determines whether a unit is hidden does not work correctly in the "between turns" phase).

If we want a rationalisation, it would be that they got "a funny feeling" about the concealing terrain on their flank. (Perhaps triggered by subliminal inputs like changes to bird song etc. as a result of the hidden enemy).

5) Any other strange behaviour or bugs that might have occurred as an unintended side effect of the changes made to implement the above.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Field of Glory II 1.5.15 Public Beta

Post by rbodleyscott »

It would be very helpful if anyone who is kindly taking part in this beta could post that they are doing so, so we know you are looking for bugs, even if you haven't found any yet.
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

I haven't been able to play much but so far I have noticed no issues and at least 4th century Romans seemed to use their cavalry pretty smartly.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

I had problems downloading. Will try agin this weekend.
roguedjack
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by roguedjack »

I had several single player battles with 1.5.14 no problem. I'll try the new campaign options with 1.5.15. I tested my mod so can't comment on the vanilla AI.

This had probably been asked already but I'd like to know if I can activate DLCs bought on Steam on a Slitherine beta. Are there Steam serials somewhere I can use on a Slitherine install?
"Rise Of AI" AI mod for Field Of Glory II
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=102040
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

roguedjack wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:40 pm I had several single player battles with 1.5.14 no problem. I'll try the new campaign options with 1.5.15. I tested my mod so can't comment on the vanilla AI.

This had probably been asked already but I'd like to know if I can activate DLCs bought on Steam on a Slitherine beta. Are there Steam serials somewhere I can use on a Slitherine install?
I don’t think so, but there is a STEAM version of the beta, which will allow you to use your dlcs.

(See the OP)
Richard Bodley Scott

Benedict151
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Benedict151 »

Hello Richard
Haven't been around much past few weeks for various reasons but grabbed the 1.5.15 public beta the other day (Slitherine version). It installed and booted fine and thats it for now. I don't really do PBEM due to time issues but intend to try some single player campaign games when I get a moment ... unless you suggest something else that would be more helpful

regards
Ben
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Benedict151 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:38 pm Hello Richard
Haven't been around much past few weeks for various reasons but grabbed the 1.5.15 public beta the other day (Slitherine version). It installed and booted fine and thats it for now. I don't really do PBEM due to time issues but intend to try some single player campaign games when I get a moment ...
That would be very helpful, thanks Ben
Richard Bodley Scott

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

So far so good regarding the MP lobby text with Silk Road. Will test some campaigns.
roguedjack

Post by roguedjack »

Just to say I've been using 1.5.15 beta (+the updated version of my mod) on exported battles from FoGE and no problems so far.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Thanks
Richard Bodley Scott

miki
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by miki »

Hi gents

I'm using the 1.5.15 steam beta and have not found any problems so far.

About AI cavalry reservers, fighting Romans vs Caledonians campaign, the Caledonian chariots are using good tactics, advancing close to the main line and engaging the romans in the flanks for good effect. The feeling is that cavalry (chariots here) behave more realistically responding to events in the main battle line. No more holding in the back for ages or nonsense isolated charges long before the infantry line.

Will try some vikings vs franks later.

Saludos
Miki
Saludos
Miki
melm
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by melm »

Played two skirmishes that I think nothing strange caught my eyes.

AI still reserves cavalry and static for several turns. When two battle arrays are close they will start moving. It's hard to check whether AI behaves correspondingly but it seems it responds at least.
Meditans ex luce mundi
MVP7

Post by MVP7 »

Finished a sandbox campaign as German foot tribes vs Gauls with the normal focus. Fought three battles against Gauls, one versus Gauls and mountain tribe allies and one against German foot tribes. Didn't notice any campaign related bugs or issues.

The cavalry was acting pretty efficiently. Overall I think the difficulty of the game has climbed a level or two over the last year thanks to the various AI improvements.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MVP7 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:08 pm Finished a sandbox campaign as German foot tribes vs Gauls with the normal focus. Fought three battles against Gauls, one versus Gauls and mountain tribe allies and one against German foot tribes. Didn't notice any campaign related bugs or issues.

The cavalry was acting pretty efficiently. Overall I think the difficulty of the game has climbed a level or two over the last year thanks to the various AI improvements.
Thanks
Richard Bodley Scott

roguedjack

Post by roguedjack »

Just tested 1.5.17 Slitherine beta with FoGE Steam.
Made sure to launch the beta once before launching FoGE.
FoGE still launches the Steam non-beta version of FoG as before.
But after playing the battle, FoG beta now correctly offer to close & launch FoGE. The previous beta didn't.

Return to “Field of Glory II 1.5.15 Public Beta”