game freezes

Moderator: Pocus

HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: game freezes

Post by HeinzHarald »

jnpoint wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:40 am For now I'll just say thanks for the help, and if the game should trouble me again I'll reinstall windows. Right now it seems not to be necessary as after the game was updated it hasn't crashed at all, and that is for over 40 turns with two different nations and 4 hours of play.
Let's hope it stays crash free, but if it doesn't I really recommend you stress test your computer before you do anything else. The intermittent nature of your problem makes it fairly likely it's hardware related (such as the GPU overheating for instance, which fits with the sound continuing).
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

HeinzHarald wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:40 pm
jnpoint wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:40 am For now I'll just say thanks for the help, and if the game should trouble me again I'll reinstall windows. Right now it seems not to be necessary as after the game was updated it hasn't crashed at all, and that is for over 40 turns with two different nations and 4 hours of play.
Let's hope it stays crash free, but if it doesn't I really recommend you stress test your computer before you do anything else. The intermittent nature of your problem makes it fairly likely it's hardware related (such as the GPU overheating for instance, which fits with the sound continuing).
Now I'm curious, how do you stress test a computer and what numbers are you looking for?
I downloaded and tried Furmark and Superposition Benchmark, and it's fun to look at the great graphics, but what is important to look for?
HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzHarald »

jnpoint wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:06 pm Now I'm curious, how do you stress test a computer and what numbers are you looking for?
I downloaded and tried Furmark and Superposition Benchmark, and it's fun to look at the great graphics, but what is important to look for?
You just run suitable stress test software for a while that gives your computer a good workout (GPU, CPU, RAM, hard drive). What you are looking for is to see if your computers performs as it should (no freezes, crashes etc), and if possible seeing how your cooling performs (making sure your temps don't go above max). Not up to date on what software would be best, but if you've run Furmark for a while your GPU should be ok which is good news (the longer you run it the more certain you can be it's ok).

Did you make sure you have the latest chipset drivers from your computer manufacturer installed?
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

HeinzHarald wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:31 am
jnpoint wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:06 pm Now I'm curious, how do you stress test a computer and what numbers are you looking for?
You just run suitable stress test software for a while that gives your computer a good workout (GPU, CPU, RAM, hard drive). What you are looking for is to see if your computers performs as it should (no freezes, crashes etc), and if possible seeing how your cooling performs (making sure your temps don't go above max). Not up to date on what software would be best, but if you've run Furmark for a while your GPU should be ok which is good news (the longer you run it the more certain you can be it's ok).

Did you make sure you have the latest chipset drivers from your computer manufacturer installed?
I ran Furmark for 10 minutes and nothing happened, so the hardware should be ok. As for the chipset driver windows says I have the latest driver installed, so that should be ok too.
HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzHarald »

jnpoint wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:59 amAs for the chipset driver windows says I have the latest driver installed, so that should be ok too.
Windows has default drivers that these days are usually OK, but I noticed that your manufacturer provides chipset drivers for download so I would recommend you grab them and don't rely on Windows.
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

HeinzHarald wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:11 pm
jnpoint wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:59 amAs for the chipset driver windows says I have the latest driver installed, so that should be ok too.
Windows has default drivers that these days are usually OK, but I noticed that your manufacturer provides chipset drivers for download so I would recommend you grab them and don't rely on Windows.
Do you use CPU-Z to find out which chipset you have?
HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzHarald »

jnpoint wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:40 pm Do you use CPU-Z to find out which chipset you have?
The msinfo file you provided has your computer model. You search for that on the manufacturer's website if they don't have an automatic service.
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

HeinzHarald wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:12 pm
jnpoint wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:40 pm Do you use CPU-Z to find out which chipset you have?
The msinfo file you provided has your computer model. You search for that on the manufacturer's website if they don't have an automatic service.
So, now it can't be better - new drivers for the chipset AMD from 7/7-2019. Thanks for helping me out, HeinzHarald.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires - Tech Support”