[MOD] Remote Regions (v1.3.7)

Moderator: Pocus

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

[MOD] Remote Regions (v1.3.7)

Post by kronenblatt »

The initial purpose of the Roman campaigns into the dark forests of Germany during the decades around 1 CE was to protect Transalpine Gaul by controlling the area between the Rhine and the Elbe rivers. But the Teutoburger Forest disaster in 9 CE made it clear that maintaining control beyond the river Rhine would be far too costly resource and attention wise, leading to the withdrawal of the Roman frontier to the river Rhine and the establishment of the Rhine and Danube rivers as the natural northern border of the empire. Rome would never again push its territory deeper into Germany.

This small Remote Regions mod aims at making a very large expansive empire more expensive and the conquest of additional provinces not necessarily profitable but may actually cost you dearly financially and in terms of manpower. You therefore have to make the active strategic decision to arrive at the conclusion that expansion simply doesn't pay off any more but instead that your empire's natural borders have been identified and need to be established at the current frontiers. Or you decide, despite all this and out of pure pride, prestige and annoyance with raiding tribes, to keep expanding and conquer and therefore deliberately pay the hefty price for it in gold and in men, even when these regions to be conquered are too remote, too inaccessible, and too difficult to defend, secure and cultivate. (It also adds Winter May or May Not Be Coming, a random component to harsh weather; changing it from occurring pre-deterministically every four years into occurring stochastically each year with a probability of 25 percent (or 33 percent if previous year had harsh weather).)

In order to achieve this the mod introduces penalties in the form of region modifiers in the case of regions being very remotely located from any of the faction's capitals, and also increases the Administrative Burden for the same reason.

It is compatible with Field of Glory: Empires v1.3.7 and the mod itself is attached in zipped format at the end of this post. It is available for the 310 BCE as well as the 550 BCE 'Rise of Persia' Grand Campaigns, and thus the zipped file contains mods for both 310 BCE and 550 BCE.

As of v1.3.7, the region modifiers are applied as follows for each region:

1. The distance between the region and the closest capital of the faction owning the region is used as the starting point.
2. Thereafter, the distance is adjusted first through being multiplied to a factor, based on the region's terrain:
  • Plain: 100% (i.e., retaining its original value).
  • Steppes: 103% (i.e., increased by 3%).
  • Hill: 106%.
  • Forest: 109%.
  • Desert: 112%.
  • Marsh: 115%.
  • Mountain: 118%.
  • Alpine: 121%.
3. As a second adjustment, that adjusted distance is multiplied to a factor, based on the region's proximity to a coast or (failing that) to a river:
  • adjacent to Coastal Water: 100% (i.e., retaining its adjusted value).
  • adjacent to River but not Coastal Water: 108% (i.e., its adjusted value increased by 8%).
  • None of the two above: 116%.
4. The modifiers are finally assigned, based on final adjusted distance for each region:
  • No modifier. lower than 30 000.
  • Remote Region I. 30 000 - 75 000.
  • Remote Region II. 75 000 - 135 000.
  • Remote Region III. 135 000 - 210 000.
  • Remote Region IV. 210 000 - 300 000.
  • Remote Region V. 300 000 or higher.
When it comes to Administrative Burden, each region with a distance of 52 500 (middle of Remote Region II interval) or higher to the nearest capital, will contribute with an additional percentage of [ ( distance - 52 500 ) / 52 500 ] compared to vanilla, e.g., a region with distance of 70 000 to nearest capital will contribute with 33% more to the faction's Administrative Burden than the region does in vanilla.

(Factions without any capitals will receive a flat Remote Regions region modifier, equivalent to that of Remote Region II, for all its regions, and furthermore, all its regions will contribute 100% more to the faction's Administrative Burden compared to vanilla.)

For better visuality and understanding which distances may be relevant for situations, each red and blue line represents a distance of 100 000 in the game. Thus, across the map below (slightly cut off, compared to the game), west-to-east, the total distance is 1 000 000, and north-to-south it is 600 000.

As can be seen in the examples below, the distance between Rome and Tarentum is a bit less than 100 000 (i.e., around 70 000 if measured in more detail) and the distance between Rome and Byzantium is slightly more than 200 000.

Changed or added files:
Scenario.bsf
TEXT1.txt
DATA/MODIFIERS.csv
DATA/UI/TEXTURES/MODIFIERS/MOD_Icon_Custom_RemoteRegion_I,II,III,IV,V,X.dds
DATA/SCRIPTS/Events_Plugin.bsf
DATA/SCRIPTS/Faction.bsf

Zipped files for FoGE containing 310 BCE and 550 BCE available for downloads:
  • v1.3.4 as of November 2, 2020.
  • v1.3.7 (for human players only) as of May 4, 2021.
Last edited by kronenblatt on Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 am, edited 27 times in total.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
FrenchDude
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: [MOD] Remote Regions for 310 BCE

Post by FrenchDude »

Looks like a very good idea :D !

I think that I’m going to use your mod for my next campaign ! Always wanted to make administrative burden more severe in order to diminish snowballing for middle/late game. How is the overall gameplay affected by the mod ? Is the AI dealing well with it ?

Can you tell me what files you modified, so I could copy-paste them in my own custom scenario ? I’ve already been making my own custom scenario with new units, so I’d like to combine both your mod and mine for my enjoyment :D
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

FrenchDude wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:50 am Looks like a very good idea :D !

I think that I’m going to use your mod for my next campaign ! Always wanted to make administrative burden more severe in order to diminish snowballing for middle/late game. How is the overall gameplay affected by the mod ? Is the AI dealing well with it ?

Can you tell me what files you modified, so I could copy-paste them in my own custom scenario ? I’ve already been making my own custom scenario with new units, so I’d like to combine both your mod and mine for my enjoyment :D
Cool! Please let me know what you think.

Modified files are now presented at the end of the first post in this thread.

FrenchDude

Post by FrenchDude »

kronenblatt wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:30 am
FrenchDude wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:50 am Looks like a very good idea :D !

Cool! Please let me know what you think.

Modified files are now presented at the end of the first post in this thread.
Thank you :)
kronenblatt

Re: [MOD] Remote Regions

Post by kronenblatt »

The mod is now available for the 550 BCE 'Rise of Persia' Grand Campaign as well. The download link in the first post of this thread contains mods for 310 as well as 550 BCE.

Enjoy!

Elm0xz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Elm0xz »

Hi, your mod looks quite interesting. How do you calculate the distance between provinces? Do you use ingame travel time or simple distance in straight line?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Elm0xz wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:01 am Hi, your mod looks quite interesting. How do you calculate the distance between provinces? Do you use ingame travel time or simple distance in straight line?
The latter, using the FUNCTION Faction_Politic_NearestCapitalID(factionID, regionID).

Surt
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Surt »

kronenblatt wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:17 pm The initial purpose of the Roman campaigns into the dark forests of Germany during the decades around 1 CE was to protect Transalpine Gaul by controlling the area between the Rhine and the Elbe rivers. But the Teutoburger Forest disaster in 9 CE made it clear that maintaining control beyond the river Rhine would be far too costly resource and attention wise, leading to the withdrawal of the Roman frontier to the river Rhine and the establishment of the Rhine and Danube rivers as the natural northern border of the empire. Rome would never again push its territory deeper into Germany.
The other reason why they failed was that as opposed to many Mediterranean areas there was no infrastructure of any note, the forests where dark foreboding places full of marshes and swamps. All other conquests were against civilised or semi-civilised nations, in addition to the Roman failure in Germania, slow conquest of Espania, failures against the desert nomades and picts. The Persians failed against the Armenians/Kurds? (mountains in the Median empire that are unoccupied, and still were at the time of the march of the 10000, Anabasis) , the Scythian's (multiple times, no cities/infra to occupy), several desert tribes/oasis (Lost Army of Cambyses).
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Surt wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:09 pm
kronenblatt wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:17 pm The initial purpose of the Roman campaigns into the dark forests of Germany during the decades around 1 CE was to protect Transalpine Gaul by controlling the area between the Rhine and the Elbe rivers. But the Teutoburger Forest disaster in 9 CE made it clear that maintaining control beyond the river Rhine would be far too costly resource and attention wise, leading to the withdrawal of the Roman frontier to the river Rhine and the establishment of the Rhine and Danube rivers as the natural northern border of the empire. Rome would never again push its territory deeper into Germany.
The other reason why they failed was that as opposed to many Mediterranean areas there was no infrastructure of any note, the forests where dark foreboding places full of marshes and swamps. All other conquests were against civilised or semi-civilised nations, in addition to the Roman failure in Germania, slow conquest of Espania, failures against the desert nomades and picts. The Persians failed against the Armenians/Kurds? (mountains in the Median empire that are unoccupied, and still were at the time of the march of the 10000, Anabasis) , the Scythian's (multiple times, no cities/infra to occupy), several desert tribes/oasis (Lost Army of Cambyses).
Exactly: they couldn't exercise control and security due to lack of necessary infrastructure. And developing and maintaining that infrastructure would be too costly.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

nikossaiz wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:44 am
The Remote Regions mod is finalised
so, what are the changes that this mod offer? more factions on the edge of the map? anyway, i like your other 2 mods ( still need to be told how to compine winter and alternative armies in order to use them both ) that is why the curiosity :)
I think you will get a good overview of the changes of this mod in the first post of this thread. See above, basically:

The mod introduces two features: (1) penalties in the form of region modifiers in the case of regions being very remotely located from any of the faction's capitals, and (2) also increases the Administrative Burden for the same reason.

(1) The region modifiers are applicable as follows, distance wise between the region in question and the closest capital of the faction (no modifiers are added for regions with distances lower than 40 000):
Remote Region I. 40 000 - 80 000.
Remote Region II. 80 000 - 120 000.
Remote Region III. 120 000 - 160 000.
Remote Region IV. 160 000 - 200 000.
Remote Region V. 200 000 or higher.

(2) When it comes to Administrative Burden, each region with a distance of 40 000 or higher to the nearest capital, will contribute with an additional percentage of [ ( distance - 40 000 ) / 40 000 ] compared to vanilla, e.g., a region with distance of 60 000 to nearest capital will contribute with 50% more to the faction's Administrative Burden than the region does in vanilla.

nikossaiz
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by nikossaiz »

wow, quite impresive! we talk about a new mechanic!

two questions.
would those disadvantages apply to AI also?
factions like Antigonids or seleucids or Carthage will have this adittional disadvantage from the start? on higher difficulties would be trully hard.
I usually play as macedon. So i fight against the other diadochi factions early on. Due to in game diadochis' mechanic and if my opponent loosing hard, many regions may deside to come with me, that in turn is very possible to cripple my economy also and made me collapse, wich shouldnt be the case. i mean, the distances and the costs are ballanced around the various factions mechanics?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

nikossaiz wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:03 am wow, quite impresive! we talk about a new mechanic!

two questions.
1. would those disadvantages apply to AI also?
2. the distances and the costs are ballanced around the various factions mechanics?
Thanks!

1. Yes, to all factions, AI and player alike.
2. No such balancing to e.g. vanilla Diadochi mechanics has been made. The Remote Regions mod is deliberately made to cripple and limit larger factions if regions are far away (so consider where you locate your capital(s)). Do you have to accept these regions transferring to your faction from other Diadochi factions, because that would that be a strategic decision whether it's worthwhile to add them to your faction.

nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

No such balancing to e.g. vanilla Diadochi mechanics has been made
i will try it nevertheless i am curious how this will affect the ai expansion. Will propably wait for the compination of your 3 mods into one though, since i curentlly play with the alternative armies.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

nikossaiz wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:21 am
i will try it nevertheless i am curious how this will affect the ai expansion. Will propably wait for the compination of your 3 mods into one though, since i curentlly play with the alternative armies.
Great! Try it out and let me know what you think. Please also note that the random winter mechanism is in there, in the latest version. Will add that to the description in the first post too.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

nikossaiz wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:21 am
Here's my combined mod with all the three features into one; is now called Ghosts on the Thrones. :) (Named after a book that I really liked, about "The Death of Alexander the Great and the Bloody Fight for His Empire".)
x310BCGhostsOnThrones_20201102_1613.7z
(297.99 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

Just downloaded, i will play it as soon as i get home. I assume is save game compatible ( dont find a reson not to be )
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

nikossaiz wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:07 pm I assume is save game compatible ( dont find a reson not to be )
Agree: there's no reason (that I can think of) why it shouldn't be save game compatible. Probably your current round will lack the Remote Region modifiers, but that will be sorted out in the next round.

Enjoy!

nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

i played only for 3-5 turns last night ( so not a deep feedback as yet ) but few clear points shown on me.

1) i very like the UI icons that blend with the vanillas one and make it extremely easy to understand what the mod is about at a glance. same with the tooltips, good job!!

1) all regions without the mod have maluses either because are newly conquered, terrain based disadvantages, different cultures etc. the thing is that for all those, player and AI can do something to counter them over time. so maybe not connect the distances with the capital only but also a beaurocratic building? just saing, i dont know if it is possible at all. or make the distances a little more forgiving? ( i very like the concept, so i will keep it for the flavor for sure, i may end lower the penalties a bit, )

2) since i use it in an ongoing campaign save, the AI that was allready empire size in my current game ( antigonids, rome ) had super hard time. the thing is that i like to have empire size opponents, so I will try it on a new game and see how the AI faction react from the start.

3) the weather mod add a different tension on the campaign map. i saved an objective region because of the enemy delay, and also destroy a very well coordinated plan of mine because of the same reason. i like it.

overall super good job. Thank you!
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

nikossaiz wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:15 am i played only for 3-5 turns last night ( so not a deep feedback as yet ) but few clear points shown on me.

1) all regions without the mod have maluses either because are newly conquered, terrain based disadvantages, different cultures etc. the thing is that for all those, player and AI can do something to counter them over time. so maybe not connect the distances with the capital only but also a beaurocratic building? just saing, i dont know if it is possible at all. or make the distances a little more forgiving? ( i very like the concept, so i will keep it for the flavor for sure, i may end lower the penalties a bit, )
2) since i use it in an ongoing campaign save, the AI that was allready empire size in my current game ( antigonids, rome ) had super hard time. the thing is that i like to have empire size opponents, so I will try it on a new game and see how the AI faction react from the start.
Many thanks for your feedback and glad that you appreciate the features! :)

1. Yes, maybe the penalties should be lowered. I have not finetuned any of that; just made some rough levels.
2. Maybe the penalties should only apply to the player and not to the AI.

nikossaiz

Post by nikossaiz »

Many thanks for your feedback and glad that you appreciate the features!
believe me it is my pleasure!

1) i allready lowered the penalty valews into a more subtle way. I personaly like them more this way, but i think that the main perpuse of the mod ( become stalled and unable to expand further certain borders ) could potentially become undermined. but anyway, if there isnt other way like connect distances with buildings or expand the distances further ( so more regions to become 1 and less V ) i would stick with lower valews.

2) oh no, the player has allready to many penalties and if you cranck the difficulty a little bit this can become a nail. wouldnt want the AI to have more artificial bonuses this way.

Return to “MOD”