Field of Glory II: Medieval is coming soon

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Field of Glory II: Medieval is coming soon

Post by 76mm »

Adebar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm This is the only detail which is bothering me TBH; getting strange Battle Academy vibes here (great game, but the graphic style … :roll: ). Too toy-like - I prefer the more ´realistic' look of FOG2 Ancients maps/textures.
Yeah, me too.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

I must admit I like what some call the toy-like look of FoG2: Medieval. I don't think the 3D models are more toy-like than in FoG2 Ancients :

... just that FoG2: Medieval is more colourful (textures), just like on the medieval pictures of the era one can still watch :

...and like the real Medieval clothes iirc (far from what one could expect from the so-called 'Dark Ages').

(and the metal seems also more shiny)
Last edited by Athos1660 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

Athos1660 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:27 pm I don't think the miniatures are more toy-like than in FoG2 Ancients :
The 3D units are fine and of the same style of FOG2 Ancients. I'm talking exclusively of the maps. They're a bit too ... neat ... for my taste. It's a wargame after all.

I think I even spotted some pretty red flowers somewhere ... :roll: :mrgreen:

IC XC
NI KA
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Adebar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:38 pm
Athos1660 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:27 pm I don't think the miniatures are more toy-like than in FoG2 Ancients :
The 3D units are fine and of the same style of FOG2 Ancients. I'm talking exclusively of the maps. They're a bit too ... neat ... for my taste. It's a wargame after all.

I think I even spotted some pretty red flowers somewhere ... :roll: :mrgreen:
To each is own :-)

I was also talking about the landscape.

This...

is imho very much like and as colourful as...

One thing I do like about P&S and FoGII: Medieval (I can't say for FoGII: Ancients) is their Art style that is not totally realistic (I do agree with you) but that is very much like the pictures and drawings of their period.

Some won't like it, but wow ! I for one do.

That's just how I see it.
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Sorry, can`t resist:

Teutonic knight (whispers): "Behold, my brethren! In those phantasmal poppies´shadows some savage Smurfs might be luking, striving for our souls and possessions ..."

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IC XC
NI KA
deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

If the maps make terrain such as rough more obvious, I'm all for it. Tired of squinting at the map to see what is open and what it rough. I do think the banners are a little too large though.

Deeter
BillLottJr
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by BillLottJr »

Asymmetrical shield designs!
lapdog666

Post by lapdog666 »

i wish the animations were more smoother and bit more cinematic/stylish tho. considerable overhaul of ALL animations would be great , but i suspect its not cost effective
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

I agree with what most are saying: unit depictions look colourful and attractive (especially the cavalry) while the landscape could just do with a little alteration. Some scrubs, shades, and grass in the open green patches would be nice.

Overall, looks impressive, though.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
bodkin
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by bodkin »

I wish there was a way to alter the saturation, I find the brightly coloured units in Ancients and from what I've seen of Medieval to be to unrealistic. I know it's a tabletop simulation but these guys may have been campaigning for weeks or months with little opportunity to wash their clothes. If you look at the way gamers paint their miniatures they usually have a more subdued look. They shouldn't look like a football team that's just run onto the field.
bssybeep
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by bssybeep »

I love the upgraded look of the 3D units over FOG2. They don't look too "toy like" The new look does the Medieval period proud and is a big reason for a purchase.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Are they LH Mounted crossbowmen ?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Athos1660 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:37 am Are they LH Mounted crossbowmen ?
No, those are Cavalry mounted crossbowmen. Light Horse mounted crossbowmen will appear when we move further south.
Richard Bodley Scott

Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Cavalry mounted crossbowmen ? Nice.
So AP=16 and not unmanoeuvrable ? Fast and agile non-light cavalry for flanking... ?
Will there be lots of this unit or is it a rare unit ?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Athos1660 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:01 pm Cavalry mounted crossbowmen ? Nice.
So AP=16 and not unmanoeuvrable ? Fast and agile non-light cavalry for flanking... ?
Will there be lots of this unit or is it a rare unit ?
Not very numerous at present, though there will be more of them in post-1319 Polish armies.
Richard Bodley Scott

Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Thank you for all the information. Looking forward to 'riding' these horses.
Lukew
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lukew »

Good to see Medieval starting to be covered. There are a couple of points I would like to see addressed

1 Adjustable figure scales for custom battles. Medieval battles could involve armies numbering just a few hundred a side to thousands. As opposed to FOG II it would be preferable to select the size of battle in game for custom battles, scenarios etc.

2 Variable unit strengths reducing from maximum strength allowing for pre battle casualties (desertion etc)

3 More use of formations. We already have the pike block square from FOG II but some troop types used wedge formation giving an initial impact advantage in melee

I would have liked the Crusades to have been included in the initial module but hope that this will be the subject of the first DLC, followed by a late Medieval DLC covering the Swiss, Hundred Years War etc Gunpowder weapons isa capability I suspect many of us will welcome.

In time I would also like to see games covering Asian warfare during the Ancient and Medieval eras. Horse and Musket (7YW, Napoleonic and firsrt half of the 19th Century) and Age of Rifles (second half of the 19th Century) would also be good. :-)
Lukew
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lukew »

Also it wools be nice to be able to scroll down to ground level for a knight's eye view
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

FOG2 Medieval does use a scaling system to ensure that armies are suitably sized for the historical period and region. Most western feudal armies are scaled to 50% of base unit size, whereas further east some armies use 100% scaling and some (e.g. Mongols) even higher. If two armies with different scaling meet in a custom battle, the average of the two scaling factors is used for both sides. This representing the side with lower manpower having to pull out all of the stops to be able to meet the side with larger manpower at all in open battle.

Consequently, the number of men represented by each unit varies from one theatre of battle to another. This system was already used in the Epic Battles and historically-based Campaigns in FOG2: Ancients, but has been extended to Custom Battles in FOG2: Medieval to avoid unrealistic numbers appearing in "normal" western Medieval battles.

The scaling does not affect actual gameplay, apart from the reported number of men and casualties. (Realistically, of course, it should, as it changes the ratio between unit frontage and shooting ranges, but we did not want to get into the complexities of having different rules for scaled battles).
Richard Bodley Scott

toska
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by toska »

76mm wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:01 pm
Adebar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm This is the only detail which is bothering me TBH; getting strange Battle Academy vibes here (great game, but the graphic style … :roll: ). Too toy-like - I prefer the more ´realistic' look of FOG2 Ancients maps/textures.
Yeah, me too.

Don't worry, making a mod on that aspect is very easy.

Return to “News & Announcements”