Field of Glory II: Medieval is coming soon

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Veles
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Field of Glory II: Medieval is coming soon

Post by Veles »

Dux Limitis wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:37 am I think 2-3 models are enough for the 14th century knights.One with brigandine,one with coat of plates,and the last one with early plate.That don't seems will cost many resources.
Except that the criteria you have given don't make any sense. Knights and men-at-arms at the time were wearing different types of heraldic robes over their armour so it wasn't really possible to recognize what kind of torso protection are they wearing. The only elements of armour that could be used to tell them apart would be head and limb protection and shields. Now, I don't think that limb protection is very noticeable with this kind of graphics and scale. Helmets... well maybe? Shields would be the most noticeable difference but there weren't that huge differences between shield types across the XIV century (except the end of the century when most shields were abandoned by knights). In the XIV century differences in shield types used were more noticeable between different geographical regions rather than by dating.

The only thing that did change a lot during the XIV century was the styles of heraldic dress but I really doubt that anyone would notice these differences besides historical reenactors like me.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Veles wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:48 am
rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:10 am There are siege relief battles, fought outside the castle walls, with possible intervention by the castle garrison, but not sieges as such. This was a hard decision to make, since sieges were such an important part of Medieval warfare, but after a detailed analysis we decided that the system did not really lend itself to representing sieges. Relatively few sieges were resolved by assaults, and normal siege operations would make for a pretty boring game. Starving your opponent into submission probably wouldn’t be much fun.

I have no doubt that someone in the community will produce some sort of siege scenarios. The castle models are in place.
Sounds good to me. Are there any wooden fortification models to better represent Northern, Central, and Eastern Europe?
The castles we currently have in are wooden. Wood covered in mortar of some kind since leaving your defences open to being easily burnt down isn't a great strategy.

This gives some decent reasoning though despite his argument, I have seen a medieval image that shows wooden plank walls. But only one, out of the hundreds that don't.
https://youtu.be/tuDbUg-FOMY

But there are no smaller wooden or temporary bare timber fortifications yet. They're on my wish list, if only so modders have them, but you have to realise that everything has to be done 4 times for the random map generator to work, since the game will eventually include 3 locations and one weather variation. So doing just one is a sizable commitment and cost and the priority is to complete everything to a playable level first.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Veles
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Veles »

Patrick Ward wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:36 pm The castles we currently have in are wooden. Wood covered in mortar of some kind since leaving your defences open to being easily burnt down isn't a great strategy.

This gives some decent reasoning though despite his argument, I have seen a medieval image that shows wooden plank walls. But only one, out of the hundreds that don't.
https://youtu.be/tuDbUg-FOMY

Pat
Please be careful with using Shad as a source. For everything he gets right he makes al least two mistakes.
In this video, he made a lot of them. Especially about how wooden walls were built. He claims logs had to be put vertically resulting in a simple palisade. That's not only wrong but it's a gross oversimplification. He also completely underestimates the use of grit/soil and rock in wooden walls.
Of course, the way the wooden fortifications would differ depending on the region but generally speaking the biggest ones were built in Central-Eastern Europe by Slavs in form of Gords.

One example of how such a wooden wall could be built:

A box system in which layers of logs put horizontally create a dense "mesh" of boxes, each filled from the top with dirt, rocks, stones, sometimes pieces of wood. Then, they were siled with a layer of logs on top of which another "mesh" would be created and then also filled with dirt and stones. usually bigger rocks were put in lower boxes while small stones, gravel, clay, and earth in upper ones. Such walls were usually thicker at the base and were gradually tapering upwards.

Such "earth-wooden" fortification could be up to 12 meters high and sometimes were REALLY thick at the base like in Wrocław (Breslau) where they reached 25 meters of thickness.

Just to be clear, I'm not expecting you guys to add this kind of stuff to the game. I just had to point out how much Shad is in the wrong (personal grudge).
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Ancient+R ... d95792a473

Ancient Roman wooden fortifications
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=an ... BasicHover

Wooden fortifications of the early middle ages. Reconstruction. History, architecture.
https://www.dreamstime.com/wooden-forti ... e126571740

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Medieval Castle: Four Different Types
https://www.historyonthenet.com/medieval-castle
Within an Existing Roman Fortress
The earliest medieval castles built by the Normans were either constructed within an existing Roman Fort or were Motte and Bailey castles. These were soon replaced by Stone Keep castles as they offered better protection from attack. Concentric castles developed during the 12th and 13th Centuries and were virtually impossible to conquer.

Motte and Bailey Castles

Motte and Bailiey castles were the earliest form of medieval castles built completely from scratch by the Normans. As their name suggests they had two parts the Motte and the Bailey.

The Motte was a large hill made of earth on which was built a wooden keep or lookout. The outer edge was then surrounded with a large wooden fence called a palisade.

The Bailey was separated from the Motte by a wooden bridge that could be removed if the Bailey was occupied by enemies. The Bailey was the part of the castle where people lived and animals were kept. A large castle might have more than one Bailey.

To give added protection to the castle, both the Motte and Bailey would be surrounded by a ditch, sometimes filled with water. A drawbridge was used for access to the castle.

76mm

Post by 76mm »

toska wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 pm Don't worry, making a mod on that aspect is very easy.
Regardless of how easy, I'm probably going to have to rely on others for that mod, my graphics skills are negligible. But good to hear, anyway.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Yes bare, wooden, flammable "castles" were a thing but I've chosen to do mortar covered. I'm not going to cover every single possibility, design and theoretically viable alternative. I appreciate what you're saying but Shads arguments made enough sense for a game and meant I didn't have to start sculpting all those bloody logs. :D
I do have one small length of palisade but we're currently not using it for anything but decoration. Its by necessity too poly dense for what it is, how many we'd need for a viable wall and because took too long to sculpt.

And again .. this is not a topic to be lost in the announcements page. Please post in the main FoG forum.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lebo44 »

Any clue how much game rules/mechanics will differ between FOG2: Ancients and FOG2: Medieval?

Screenshots doesn't show any difference - map and unit types (morale/quality/maneuverability) look the same. I assume POA calculations, Zone of Control will remain the same as well. What about Impact/Melee phases? Any new unit functions or special abilities?

I'm inclined to apply for beta testing just to get access to new game rules ;)
Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lebo44 »

I just watched the early presentation on Twitch and noticed these banners. This is beautiful...

Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Lebo44 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:05 am Screenshots doesn't show any difference - map and unit types (morale/quality/maneuverability) look the same. I assume POA calculations, Zone of Control will remain the same as well. What about Impact/Melee phases? Any new unit functions or special abilities?
for example (and maybe the most iconic unit of the period), even if I guess you saw it :

Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lebo44 »

Hi Athos,

yes I noticed that of course. But it doesn't suggest any significant change in mechanics. Just another unit type (kind of advanced lancers) that will maybe result in some new modifiers to POA and cohesion tests. But I assume that general game mechanics will remain unchanged (POA, cohesion tests, impact/melee phases, ZOCs, movement, terrain characteristics etc).
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Suspense... :-)

I too guess that the general mechanics will remain the same with some refinements and that the main changes will concern what is specific to the period, ie the units (such as mounted crossbowmen. Knights...), their 'traits' (capabilities, APs...) and their interactions (relative net PoA...). For example, a fragment of code in FoG2: ancients showed that the devs had considered at some point in the past that Impact PoA of Knights when rear charging keils "was 200, but needed to be 300 to encourage knights to charge keils in the rear. However, this may make other types over-aggressive."

But there might also be a few major changes in mechanics, e. g the secondary ZoC or the new flank/rear charge mechanics the devs added to the Pike and Shot system when developing FoG2: Ancients.

Looking forward to seeing the actual changes (as you are).
Veles
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Veles »

Athos1660 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:08 pm But there might also be a few major changes in mechanics, e. g the secondary ZoC or the new flank/rear charge mechanics the devs added to the Pike and Shot system when developing FoG2: Ancients.
I'm for one interested if we will get new mechanics regarding missile weapons like bows and crossbows. I imagine that there should be a mechanical (as in-game mechanics) difference between "light" and heavy crossbows. Maybe (or rather for sure) there will be separate "longbows" capability for the Welsh and English.

Finally, maybe a game mechanic regarding pavises. As I see it, pavises should be giving a large benefit in a fight at a distance but not so much in close quarters.

I mean, the possibilities are endless. The real problem would be separating the actual fun ideas from the ones which look good on paper but not so much in-game. I guess we'll see what devs come up with.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

New units, new capabilities.

In the tabletop FoG book 'Oath of Fealty', Welsh or English archers have 'Longbow' as a shooting capability. So who knows ?
The real problem would be separating the actual fun ideas from the ones which look good on paper but not so much in-game. I guess we'll see what devs come up with.
I am not worried. They know what to do :-)
drewgalander
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by drewgalander »

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and I've missed it - but the requirements for FOG II Medieval state Windows 8/10. Does this mean that it absolutely will not run on Windows 7 or (as is often now the case with released games that don't list Windows 7 in the requirements) is it simply not being tested on that operating system? As you might guess from my question, my current system uses Windows 7 and as my system stats exceed all the other requirements I would prefer not to have to upgrade the operating system if I don't absolutely need to do so! :(
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

drewgalander wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:33 pm Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and I've missed it - but the requirements for FOG II Medieval state Windows 8/10. Does this mean that it absolutely will not run on Windows 7 or (as is often now the case with released games that don't list Windows 7 in the requirements) is it simply not being tested on that operating system? As you might guess from my question, my current system uses Windows 7 and as my system stats exceed all the other requirements I would prefer not to have to upgrade the operating system if I don't absolutely need to do so! :(
Here is a thread about this subject on Steam with a dev's reply : https://steamcommunity.com/app/1368870/ ... 815603621/
drewgalander

Post by drewgalander »

Many thanks :D
Last edited by drewgalander on Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drewgalander

Post by drewgalander »

Athos1660 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:06 pm
drewgalander wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:33 pm Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and I've missed it - but the requirements for FOG II Medieval state Windows 8/10. Does this mean that it absolutely will not run on Windows 7 or (as is often now the case with released games that don't list Windows 7 in the requirements) is it simply not being tested on that operating system? As you might guess from my question, my current system uses Windows 7 and as my system stats exceed all the other requirements I would prefer not to have to upgrade the operating system if I don't absolutely need to do so! :(
Here is a thread about this subject on Steam with a dev's reply : https://steamcommunity.com/app/1368870/ ... 815603621/
Thanks for that - response could usefully be on here also I think, so:

"PipFromSlitherine [developer] 20 Oct @ 4:47pm
Off the top of my head I can see no reason why the game wouldn't work on 7, but it is not officially supported. There have been no deliberate changes which would make it incompatible.
That said, you should absolutely upgrade. W7 is no longer secure.
Cheers
Pip"
Ivenend
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ivenend »

Hi Richard Bodley Scott.

Will the time period being extended after 1270 AD in later DLCs or Expansions of this game?
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

My understanding is that they hope to extend it out to 1500 presumably with a number of expansions. Look at the tabletop books and FoG I for an idea of the range of armies that potentially will cover.
Image Image

Return to “News & Announcements”