Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

random27
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: Slitherine links with Games Workshop on new licensing ag

Post by random27 »

lol i don t need to get out more :)
i m cop in real life i'm married and have 3 children , games like battle academy for pc or games workshop games are my hobby. I m playing warhammer battle and 40 k in an association.
I love my work and take a lot of time with my children but i don t sleep a lot so i can play on my computer a lot of time
My wife loves games too and is a fan of mangas so she understands me :)
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

No expert on Warhammer, but it is a table top wargame that has a very specific style of design.

I love the WFRP design, so I am familiar with it to some extent.

And I have all of Battle Academy.

But the dynamics of both designs, not sure they blend.

I am not saying I don't like the thought, just want to ensure there is at least one voice stating some concern that it might not work.

I have seen Squad Leader scenarios made to fit inside of Steel Panthers for instance, and while it looks real close, they are totally different games all the same and you see it when you look real close.
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

Nice one random27, well you made me smile !!!

Regards

JDM
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

jdm wrote:Nice one random27, well you made me smile !!!

Regards

JDM

Same here... !

Far too well balanced a reply, and a lifestyle - I reckon he can't really be a wargamer after all :wink:
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
random27
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by random27 »

Happy to make you smile :)
The worst is all i have said is true :)
Larac
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Larac »

Done correctly this could become your biggest game.

Still have 1st ed Rule book, 16 pages of rules 100+ fluff.

The Bible before all the changes to history GW has been making.

Will help in anyway to make this a great game, as if done with care, could really bring Wargames back to the gamers view point.

Also if not following the rules exactly, which is fine as the PC can do so much more, please make it WEGO

Lee
Jonah75
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Jonah75 »

I trust WFB will be just behind? Geek-heaven!
TimSnoddy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TimSnoddy »

Personally I think this is the most bizarre licensing agreement I have ever heard of. Not to say something good might not come out of it. The previous RTS GW computer games complemented their figure games. Completely different experiences. A turn based game? Last thing GW will want is for it to be anything like the tabletop version. No way do they want to cut down on those sales of oh so expensive models. Why buy the models if you can have a similar experience on computer? Perhaps even a better experience, no complicated rules to reference, no ton of stuff to carry around and it should be easy to find opponents. So as far as GW are concerned you need to make a computer game using their intellectual property but not at all like the tabletop game. Rather a strange design draft. If it is very different will it appeal to GW figures players? Now I know you could say all the same things about FOG but look at the age demographic of the two sets of players. GW players are a lot younger and used to computer games. I can't wait to see what comes out of it and knowing Slitherines record on computer games it will probably be pretty good in which case I will buy it, I am just baffled trying to imagine it.
Grimnirsson
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Grimnirsson »

Last thing GW will want is for it to be anything like the tabletop version. No way do they want to cut down on those sales of oh so expensive models. Why buy the models if you can have a similar experience on computer?
You may have a point here. And actually I didn't consider this valid point because of my excitement although I am well aware of it...I remember our pure shock when we opened the new W40k board game by FFG - Horus Heresy...FFG has such a high quality in their game components and then they publish a W40k game with minatures so ugly you don't believe it at first. Here's the part of our review regarding that point:
There is absolutely no reason why these miniatures belong to the ugliest miniatures ever published in a FFG game, while belonging to such a strong tabletop franchise – except our theory that FFG was forced by Games Workshop to downgrade their miniatures in order to not to compete with the original Warhammer 40k miniatures. This was the only reason we could think of because we KNOW that FFG is absolutely capable of doing quite good miniatures and when they don’t, there must be another reason.
http://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2012 ... eresy-ffg/

Slitherine, beware of the Big Watchdog that is GW and don't go down the road FFG had to take...
morg444
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by morg444 »

PLEASE MAKE THIS GAME SIMILAR TO THE NEW XCOM. 40k with a similar stype as xcom would be insane! Take my money now!
Jollup

Post by Jollup »

Please make it as close to the table-top game as possible. There are many 30-40 something people out there who simply do not have the time to spare painting figures, organising games, or travelling to games workshop outlets.

My addition to the warhammer 40k iPad/pc/mac game would be to have a paint module so you could virtually paint your figures for use in the game. In-app purchases for mods, new paint sets, decals, flags etc....
I would love to "paint" my own army again, but haven't got the time or space to get paints out and spend hours waiting for inks to dry etc....

Anyway. PLEASE SIGN ME UP FOR BETA TESTING... I have been waiting for this to come to my computer for over 25 years!!!!!

Oh.... and please, please, please make it as close to the tabletop game as possible!!!
mbpopolano24
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mbpopolano24 »

Very good news, hopefully we will learn more about game mechanics soon.

Personally, the idea to make it closer to the latest X-COM is a good one. Also, and judging by the commercial success of that game (many TBS games are released constantly, but just a few are so well received by many), it would be a smart idea.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

TimSnoddy wrote:Personally I think this is the most bizarre licensing agreement I have ever heard of. Not to say something good might not come out of it. The previous RTS GW computer games complemented their figure games. Completely different experiences. A turn based game? Last thing GW will want is for it to be anything like the tabletop version. No way do they want to cut down on those sales of oh so expensive models. Why buy the models if you can have a similar experience on computer? Perhaps even a better experience, no complicated rules to reference, no ton of stuff to carry around and it should be easy to find opponents. So as far as GW are concerned you need to make a computer game using their intellectual property but not at all like the tabletop game. Rather a strange design draft. If it is very different will it appeal to GW figures players? Now I know you could say all the same things about FOG but look at the age demographic of the two sets of players. GW players are a lot younger and used to computer games. I can't wait to see what comes out of it and knowing Slitherines record on computer games it will probably be pretty good in which case I will buy it, I am just baffled trying to imagine it.

Hmm, they did it with the FOG franchise, so why not w Warhammer?
I realise they dont also sell the minis like GW does but....

My only gaming experiance w WH40k is SSI's PG type Rites of War, could have been great but they were so stingy with the few units available and the maps were small and few in #

SSI's (again, what a great company that was) Final Liberation was clunky , the campain game was weak but the actual tactical battles were fun and the combat mechanism seemed sound. Squad based / individual units , move em and watch out for opportunity fire!(kinda like Steel panthers)

BTW, what the heck is a "bolter" rifkle/pistol supposed be? A giant caliber slug thrower? Made up type of energy weapon?( that needs to eject copper shell casings LOL ) :)
Durin1978
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Durin1978 »

After more than a month could it be possible to reveal some more solid info?

Which general direction will the game take?
Will you play the Imperium? Or more than one faction?

I am sure you already have a vage idea for the game, and am very sure that Games Workshop gave you a lot of restictions what you were not allowed to do, so for all the loyal fans and for their minds sake reveal please some more info before we all go mad.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Expect more news in May
mbpopolano24
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mbpopolano24 »

Great, thanks... hopefully the beginning of May.....
Durin1978
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Durin1978 »

Now we have may, Where are the info´s?!?

I know I run very low on patience. Sorry :(
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Half of May is a better bet I would say...
ahtf
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by ahtf »

DSWargamer wrote:No expert on Warhammer, but it is a table top wargame that has a very specific style of design.

I love the WFRP design, so I am familiar with it to some extent.

And I have all of Battle Academy.

But the dynamics of both designs, not sure they blend.

I am not saying I don't like the thought, just want to ensure there is at least one voice stating some concern that it might not work.

I have seen Squad Leader scenarios made to fit inside of Steel Panthers for instance, and while it looks real close, they are totally different games all the same and you see it when you look real close.
agree with your post, I think Battleacademy style can work but with completly different map design. I do belive panzer corps map design come closer to the tabletop game.
Durin1978
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Durin1978 »

lordzimoa wrote:Half of May is a better bet I would say...

I don´t know how I made it, but I gathered enough patience to make it to half of may. I hope new news will come soon. Just don´t forget us :)

Return to “News & Announcements”