Pike and Shot: Campaigns announced!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Pike and Shot: Campaigns announced!

Post by Daniele » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:11 pm

“Never do any enemy a small injury for they are like a snake which is half beaten and it will strike back the first chance it gets.” – Niccolò Machiavelli

Boots are pounding the ground for days. Dirty and grimy soldiers are marching in the ranks with the sergeants trying (mostly in vain) to keep them disciplined.

Too many days have passed since the last plundered town and now food is starting to run out. The men are nervous.

Suddenly a cry from the head of the column. Scouting cavalry have spotted enemy heavy pikemen formations supported by artillery.

It is time to spill some blood!

Pike and Shot: Campaigns is a brand new all-in-one package. It includes the Pike and Shot base game and the Tercio to Salvo expansion, plus 21 new skirmish army lists for the rest of Europe during the period of the Italian Wars (1494-1559) covering the armies of England, Scotland, Denmark, Sweden, German States, Austria, Hungary, Transylvania, the Ottoman Empire, Poland-Lithuania and Russia!

But the main new feature is the strategic map system, implemented to allow you to lead your armies to victory over an entire theatre of operations, taking into account strategic considerations such as terrain, available manpower, supply, attrition, sieges and economic damage.

Pike and Shot: Campaigns includes 4 campaigns:

Gustavus Adolphus, set in the “Swedish phase” of the Thirty Years War, allows you to play as Swedes or Imperialists.
English Civil War allows you to play as Royalists or Parliamentarians.
Great Turkish War, set in the period of the famous Siege and Battle of Vienna in 1683, allows you to play as Austria and Poland or as the Ottoman Empire.
Pike and Shot allows you to match any two armies from 1494 to 1648 in a struggle for dominance.

With Pike and Shot: Campaigns the infamous Iron Century with all of its military innovations is depicted at its best!

If you already own Pike and Shot and Tercio to Salvo, prepare for a great promotion. The game launches on August 13th!

Get more information about the game from the official Product Page

CR
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Pike and Shot: Campaigns announced!

Post by CR » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:45 am

Hi
Is the 'Campaigns' game to be available on iPad. I have P&S and T&S for the iPad and have always thought that a strategic overview game addition would make a really good game a great game.
Regards
CR

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:41 am

CR wrote:Hi
Is the 'Campaigns' game to be available on iPad. I have P&S and T&S for the iPad and have always thought that a strategic overview game addition would make a really good game a great game.
Regards
CR
Unfortunately it is not possible for us to make the Campaigns game available on the iPad because Apple is no longer accepting submissions for 32-bit games.
Richard Bodley Scott

Freyr Oakenshield
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Freyr Oakenshield » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:47 am

Great news!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwXNI5ii4_WIzfA1Yi0Hp-w
https://twitter.com/Freyr_O

Chaldean

Post by Chaldean » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:02 pm

Great news, great game! And just in time, I was running out of historical battles :)

Hopefully the campaign system will not be too micro intensive and most of the focus will be on battles. Unlike Total War games where campaigns draaaaaaaaaaaaaag. And hopefully it will produce interesting battles.

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:38 am

Chaldean wrote:Great news, great game! And just in time, I was running out of historical battles :)

Hopefully the campaign system will not be too micro intensive and most of the focus will be on battles. Unlike Total War games where campaigns draaaaaaaaaaaaaag. And hopefully it will produce interesting battles.
It's just mostly battle.

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hoplite1963 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi Jomni
I have been involved in the beta testing for this and you should have no worries here. The system is battle centred and would work very well for your Japanese Mod. By the way speaking of this did you know that Samuel Hawley's book "The Imjin War" (covering the conflict from the Korean perspective) is now out in paperback and on Kindle for a fraction of the price of the original hardback edition?

Kind regards
Ian

TLord

Post by TLord » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Chaldean wrote:Great news, great game! And just in time, I was running out of historical battles :)

I hope the series will avoid the rabbit hole Total War went down with, on the one hand, wanting to please those who want dynamic battles, and on the other trying to please those that want complex economies, city building, family trees and the whole thing ended up pleasing neither side and being a mess (well to me anyway).

I'll be blunt: I just want to imagine myself being Gustavus Adolphus and leading an army in the field. If I have to spend too much time with city development, trade, taxation, churches I am not going to be happy so I will be happier if this series steers clear of too much of that stuff. That's the sort of thing those Paradox games do really well and it's fine for that but after scratching my head with the last Total War's economic system and all of that I'd really not want to find that in this. Just give me my army and let me go to it. :D

Chaldean

Post by Chaldean » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks for replies Jomni, Hoplite and TLord!

I guess that even without empire management any historical and detailed Thirty Years' War campaign would consist mostly of maneuver, plundering and sieges. Based on the screenshots I'm optimistic. Seems that there are some real decisions but it is not overly complex.

Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Opps might help if I got my facts right on who was asking the question before I answered it :-(

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:15 am

The campaign system is very much about giving context to the battles and is not intended to be played stand alone. It does not have the depth to be interesting on its own, it just adds flavour and immersion, but leave the emphasis entirely on the battle system.

mdavis41
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mdavis41 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:20 pm

I was really pleased to see this announcement. I hope with the re-issued games within the new Campaign game you will update the units to represent their historical counterparts. Some modders have already produced detailed English Civil War battles with the actual units named and given unique flags. This adds a lot of historical flavor. I hope you can do the same for at least the larger Thirty Year's War and English Civil War scenarios.

Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:05 am

BTW, what will happen to Pike & Shot and Pike & Shot - Tercio to Salvo when Campaigns comes out? Will they still be in the catalogue?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwXNI5ii4_WIzfA1Yi0Hp-w
https://twitter.com/Freyr_O

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:38 am

On PC they will be retired and replaced by this as it includes them.

On iOS they will remain as we can;t release any new content on iOS as the engine is 32 bit which apple has decided they wont allow any more.

AEWHistory
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by AEWHistory » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:58 am

Pardon if this is a stupid question of just not pertinent to Slitherine, but why did Apple choose to do this? It seems rather silly since not all programs require 32-bit coding. Is this to increase compatibility with future iPads?

As and aside, I try to buy most Matrix/Slitherine games for the iPad, even when it turns out I don't play them much. I sincerely hope you guys release more for this platform. As much as Apple frustrates me by becoming another "big brother" I do enjoy gaming on my iPad.

Best, Aaron

EDIT: where does that leave patches for 32-bit games? I assume they aren't stopping this, right? I would love to see the skirmish system bulked up and it definitely sounds like this isn't going to happen for this game and certainly not the iPad version. :cry:

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:43 am

AEWHistory wrote:Pardon if this is a stupid question of just not pertinent to Slitherine, but why did Apple choose to do this? It seems rather silly since not all programs require 32-bit coding. Is this to increase compatibility with future iPads?

As and aside, I try to buy most Matrix/Slitherine games for the iPad, even when it turns out I don't play them much. I sincerely hope you guys release more for this platform. As much as Apple frustrates me by becoming another "big brother" I do enjoy gaming on my iPad.

Best, Aaron

EDIT: where does that leave patches for 32-bit games? I assume they aren't stopping this, right? I would love to see the skirmish system bulked up and it definitely sounds like this isn't going to happen for this game and certainly not the iPad version. :cry:
They stopped accepting patches for 32-bit games too.

There is, however, still scope to add to the game using mods.
Richard Bodley Scott

Neoberger

Post by Neoberger » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:34 pm

When? Tomorrow? :shock:

Return to “News & Announcements”