The Battle of the Bulge Spring Clash Tournament has begun!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

The Battle of the Bulge Spring Clash Tournament has begun!

Post by AlbertoC »

The first round starts today!

The 14 participants are already facing each other on the battlefield. They know there will only be one winner, but who will it be?

You can follow the tournament by clicking on this link. Each player will have exactly 4 days of time to submit the entirety of their turns for the match. Each round will last exactly 10 days, after which the next round will begin, so this means next round will start on April 13!

Good luck, and may the best commander win.
Gerifonte
Tournament Champion
Tournament Champion

Re: The Battle of the Bulge Spring Clash Tournament has begu

Post by Gerifonte »

where is Grab? My opponent. Does not send me rounds... :( :(
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Guys, please remember to play your turns.

If you don't play enough turns and you time-out you're going to be kicked out of the tournament automatically.
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Huragan »

I'm a newbie playing my first Slitherine tournament; however, if I may be so bold as to suggest that for next time, player's time zones be made public along with their call signs in the Current Round screen, so that we know if the opponent is stalling or simply asleep.

PS Gerfonte, I believe that after the spectacular turn around in your German attack and American defence poor Grab has gone back to the drawing board... It's a long way down to fall from the #1 position :D
SMSDIGITAL
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by SMSDIGITAL »

Hi there,

RE: Tournament Server

Unable to reach server for Allied move. Played my Axis turn fine but cannot play the other match. Is there maintenance ongoing etc?

Many Thanks
SMSDIGITAL

Post by SMSDIGITAL »

Huragan wrote:I'm a newbie playing my first Slitherine tournament; however, if I may be so bold as to suggest that for next time, player's time zones be made public along with their call signs in the Current Round screen, so that we know if the opponent is stalling or simply asleep.

PS Gerfonte, I believe that after the spectacular turn around in your German attack and American defence poor Grab has gone back to the drawing board... It's a long way down to fall from the #1 position :D

I also think that time zones would be a handy piece of information. It's lucky my sleeping patterns are terrible otherwise we'd be lucky to get one move a day done in the tournament with the way things stand at the mo.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

The problem is that timezones alone aren't completely meaningful. We experienced that with the Panzer Corps tournament which we ran manually as it was direct elimination: people would play at odd times. Instead we asked them at what times of the day they'd be willing to play.

Anyway, it's useful feedback. We're looking forward to bringing some improvements to the tournament system. We'll report this feedback to the team working on it. Thank you!
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

SMSDIGITAL wrote:Hi there,

RE: Tournament Server

Unable to reach server for Allied move. Played my Axis turn fine but cannot play the other match. Is there maintenance ongoing etc?

Many Thanks
Hi SMSDIGITAL,
sorry to hear you're having issues. The information you're giving us is a bit generic though. Could you send an e-mail to support@slitherine.co.uk detailing your problem please?

Also, please let us know if you were able to play any turn previously, and please try again today and see if the error occurs again.
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Huragan »

AlbertoC wrote:

The problem is that timezones alone aren't completely meaningful. We experienced that with the Panzer Corps tournament which we ran manually as it was direct elimination: people would play at odd times. Instead we asked them at what times of the day they'd be willing to play.
I imagine there is no easy solution, as some of us will play at a drop of a hat, eagerly waiting for the opponent turn to arrive, while others may only have an hour a day at a prison regulated time. :D

For instance, my opponent religiously done a turn at 8am his time (I imagine before he went to work), 1 at noon, and then we'd exchange turns from 6-11pm his time again. Regardless of his commitment, I knew that he lived in Europe and me in North America, and therefore I could count on a turn waiting for me after 1pm my time. The time zone stamp simply provides a base line as to when one might expect a turn and sets some expectations for an exchange. Once a game begins, a pattern will set, or both parties can agree on an exchange rate. Either way, there is a bit of good will/forgiveness if I know that my opponent is in a different time zone... while a hate crime might be committed if he is in the same zone as me and no turns are sent :twisted:
Last edited by Huragan on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Huragan »

Hi Alberto

I posted a comment in your other thread with the same name (The Battle of the Bulge Spring Clash Tournament has begun!). I'm re-posting it here below in the next comment, I am hoping to get a response

Thanks
Last edited by Huragan on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Huragan »

Postby Huragan » 04 Apr 2017 22:00

Hi AlbertoC

I joined the BotB SCT blindly and care free without knowing or reading the tournament rules. I have since found a post by Daniele from Jan 2016 about the previous tournament that has shed some light; however, I still have some questions.

1) Am I correct in assuming that the in-game score points have no bearing on the tournament points? We are just looking to win as quickly as possible and in as few turns as possible and racking up in-game points is irrelevant to the tournament ranking.

2) The "bye" that Daniel refers to in his post is talking about a forfeit when one of the players does not execute any turns or some other situation?

3) What is this tournament's prize... other than knowing that you have defeated several worthy opponents in a challenging game that you can tell your great grand-children about? Will there be a ballad written in your honor and incorporated into the national anthem of a country of your choice. I vote for a bronze life sized statue and a Pacific island to be named after the winner.... but that's just me. :D

I include a copy of Daniele's post below:

Battle of the Bulge Tournament!

Daniele » 22 Jan 2016 15:26

Are you ready to embark in a tough challenge?

We are setting up a great Battle of the Bulge Tournament and we are inviting you all to take part in this event!

Rules

The tournament will be 3 rounds of Paired Games on the Battle of the Bulge scenario.

Matchmaking is via a Swiss Chess system with players getting 20 points for each game that they win.

Each round lasts for 10 days and each player has 4 days of turn time within the round (their remaining time is displayed in-game).

If a players timer expires then the opponent wins the game.

If, for whatever reason, a player is awarded a bye then they get 15 points for each game skipped in this manner.

The overall winner is the player with the highest number of points at the end of all 3 rounds (Max 120). If there is a tie then the prize will be split amongst the joint winners.

The prize is $50.00 of discount on any purchase!

To apply you have only to click here or directly in the Tournament section
Hurry up! The tournament will start once we reached 16 participants!
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi!

On the points front, yes, it's all about the Day of victory. (conveniently however, in Bulge if you've earned a lot of points, you've usually won early :) )

An early victory (Day 19 or before) will award the Max points.

Ta!
grab
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by grab »

Unable to play my latest turns, I get a message I'm not the player in this game.
HJB
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by HJB »

I also have a lot of technical problems; sometimes I must close the game and start again - for each single turn.
Gerifonte
Tournament Champion
Tournament Champion

Post by Gerifonte »

Why do people aim for these torunaments if they are not going to play?

My opponent grab, has not played practically. We were still on the 17 day.
And now how is this? How many points do I receive for each game due to my opponent's abandonment?

This is a reduction of points for me? For example in my game as German was about to cross the mossa and automatic victory

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
grab
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by grab »

Gerifonte,

You seem to be the type of player that gives our hobby a bad name. Your comments about me are unfounded, rude and defamatory.

I have regularly returned my turns to you with the exception of the weekend of 1st and 2nd April when I was in the Netherlands. I have returned several turns a day when I have been able to.

The last turns you sent me would not run, "I was not a player in that game" and they have disappeared from the games list. I have not abandoned the game and have no intention of giving up. I posted the problem here so that you would be aware of the issue and that the mod might be able to resolve the issue. Further I am not the only one having technical issues.

I would welcome action from the mods to curb Gerifontes accusations.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (113.1 KiB) Viewed 71742 times
Last edited by grab on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Please guys, calm down.
The web admins will look into this.
grab
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by grab »

Thanks vPaulus
Gerifonte
Tournament Champion
Tournament Champion

Post by Gerifonte »

grab wrote:Gerifonte,

You seem to be the type of player that gives our hobby a bad name. Your comments about me are unfounded, rude and defamatory.

I have regularly returned my turns to you with the exception of the weekend of 1st and 2nd April when I was in the Netherlands. I have returned several turns a day when I have been able to.

The last turns you sent me would not run, "I was not a player in that game" and they have disappeared from the games list. I have not abandoned the game and have no intention of giving up. I posted the problem here so that you would be aware of the issue and that the mod might be able to resolve the issue. Further I am not the only one having technical issues.

I would welcome action from the mods to curb Gerifontes accusations.
I do not try to defame anyone but I'm basing myself on the facts.
I do not know why it refers to days 1 and 2 since the tournament started on 3 and did not send its first turn until 4.
And if you or some of us have technical problems is a good idea is to indicate it in the forum in time.
If this is due to a technical problem I hope to solve it. And my apologies to grab,
But please comment on this forum any technical problem so that we are informed.
grab
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by grab »

I reported the technical issue as soon as it happened. Prior to that it all seemed fine to me and we were exchanging turns.

Return to “News & Announcements”