The Battle of the Bulge Spring Clash Tournament has begun!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

grab
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: The Battle of the Bulge Spring Clash Tournament has begu

Post by grab »

That's why I wanted to know where you are. It seemed to me that as I was getting up you were going to bed and visa versa. If that was the case I am not surprised we did not finish our games.
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Huragan »

grab wrote:That's why I wanted to know where you are. It seemed to me that as I was getting up you were going to bed and visa versa. If that was the case I am not surprised we did not finish our games.
I am sure you two gentlemen will agree that a "Time Zone" stamp next to the player's name would have been invaluable. This way when you start your game, you know what to expect, can provide some time windows to your opponent for when you can be available to do your turns, and be understanding when it comes to receiving your turns in a less than timely manner... I guess we can count on this information for the next tournament :)

I believe all games are done; Congratulations to Capote for taking the 1st place trophy.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Gerifonte wrote:
Shards wrote:Thanks!

I believe I can see the correct games in the system now, it seems to have become confused with that last game. I'm not quite sure what's happened! It certainly shouldn't be a 20-0 scoreline. Do either of you recall whether victory was on the 22nd, 23rd or 24th?
Last game (Gerifonte/German)
The turn we were playing was on 22 and we were going to 23. Game finish in sunset day 22. I think
Hi,

I've check this against the game now, and I was correct, this shouldn't have been a 20-0 result (which should only be for the Automatic victory for crossing the Meuse).

Given that it was Day 22, the score should have been 17-3.

Which is somewhat awkward as that changes the top positions in the rankings!! Giving Gerifonte 86 and Capote 82...

Personally, given that you've managed to completely draw your final round play-off (17-3, 3-17), I'd award a glorious draw.. but it's Alberto's tournament so I'm going to horribly pass the buck :D
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Hi guys

First off, apologies for this... unfortunately there have been unforeseen problems with some of the algorithms we implemented recently. We are very sorry! We are currently fixing all the problems, so at least these issues won't happen again.

That said, it seems that the score between Gerifonte and Capote was wrong. Without the bug, Gerifonte would have gotten more points and he would be the winner of the tournament. I believe that the real ranking shouldn't be affected by bugs, so Gerifonte is leading. He's going to be the winner of this tournament. We'll make it official once the tournament is over.
Capote
Tournament Champion
Tournament Champion

Post by Capote »

AlbertoC wrote:Hi guys

First off, apologies for this... unfortunately there have been unforeseen problems with some of the algorithms we implemented recently. We are very sorry! We are currently fixing all the problems, so at least these issues won't happen again.

That said, it seems that the score between Gerifonte and Capote was wrong. Without the bug, Gerifonte would have gotten more points and he would be the winner of the tournament. I believe that the real ranking shouldn't be affected by bugs, so Gerifonte is leading. He's going to be the winner of this tournament. We'll make it official once the tournament is over.
My victory vs Gerifonte was automatic victory:

Our games:

17/04/23 16:13
First game:
The following game has completed

Battle: Battle of the Bulge
Turns: 61

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/jbCs4qW.png)

17/04/23 18:28
Second game:
The following game has completed

Battle: Battle of the Bulge
Turns: 123

Please, Keep an eye on the games and on the scores.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Ahh! Thanks for clearing that up Capote! You guys were referring to your second game, which is 20-0 on the scoreboard. But from that screenshot, which does indeed look to me like a 20-0 victory, it must be just that the games are listed in different orders!

Gerifonte, can you confirm that?

Sorry for the confusion!
Gerifonte
Tournament Champion
Tournament Champion

Post by Gerifonte »

Hi,
The case that we indicated with problems was in relation to the game in which I was German, but in the end the result was correct (17-3 as indicated). The game in which I was ally finalized without problems (20-0 ). The final score is correct
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Perfect, thanks!

Sorry for any misunderstanding, glad that we have a worthy winner and honourable and knowledgeable players :)
Beemerhead19
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Beemerhead19 »

I have two tournament games versus jotajotajota that are stuck on my list of ongoing games. I cannot get rid of them. The games timed out because he stopped moving after the first day. Both games declared me the winner but gave him more points where he was German. He had taken Bastogne but was not yet an automatic victory. Was maybe the 19th or 20th at best. Can we clarify these scores and then clear these games on my panel?

Was an enjoyable tournament in spite of some of the glitches.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi!

Sorry that those have been left hanging on your list, we'll get them removed asap.

From looking at the scores, they seem about right as jotajotajota was obviously active even if timezones stopped you completing the games.

Thanks!
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Congratulations to Capote for a well deserved victory!
Beemerhead19
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Beemerhead19 »

Shards wrote:Hi!

Sorry that those have been left hanging on your list, we'll get them removed asap.

From looking at the scores, they seem about right as jotajotajota was obviously active even if timezones stopped you completing the games.

Thanks!
Thanks for clearing and clarifying. I look forward to the next tournament!
Capote
Tournament Champion
Tournament Champion

Post by Capote »

AlbertoC wrote:Congratulations to Capote for a well deserved victory!
I wanted to win this tournament. it's my third try in three years.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Capote wrote:
AlbertoC wrote:Congratulations to Capote for a well deserved victory!
I wanted to win this tournament. it's my third try in three years.
Expect the official announcement and your prize on Monday! :D
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Huragan »

Hi Alberto

To start... thanks for organizing this tournament, even though it was plagued with technical glitches, it was loads of fun.

I wanted to make a community suggestion. As human beings we crave recognition and as participants in the tournament it would be nice to receive a service medal signifying our valiant struggle for the first place. The Slitherine forum already changes our avatar picture based on the amount of blog posts we submit. Although I don't have clear visibility into your website architecture, being a technical manager I know form the 10+ years of e-commerce projects I led just how easy or how monumentally difficult it could be to implement changes. The change I am suggesting you run past the dev team is how difficult it would be to add avatar badges next to or under the avatar.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1YVu ... E5TLWQtcWM

I'll only outline to pros... as I'm sure the nay sayers will give you plenty of reasons why it can't be done.

1) recognition of community members fosters a sense of belonging and encourages participation.
2) enthusiastic participants will insure the word spreads about future tournaments, thereby increasing your membership numbers. (Personally I was surprised that only 14 of us answered the call for the BotB tournament, but than again I stumbled upon the tournament purely by accident instead of eagerly anticipating the roll call)
3) increased awareness will grow the Slitherine community, allowing for more sales revenue and more "on sale" marketing campaigns ala 75% off all PanzerCorpse products which will get more people involved (I owned a copy of PC, but bought another one for my brother this week as the price was irresistible)
4) increased numbers will mean you can actually ask for some token tournament entry fee, and increase the various prizes accordingly. After all the gaming industry has hit 91 billion dollars in revenue in 2016 and there are titles whose tournaments have $500,000 or more in prise money.
5) with the multitude of titles that Slitherine has under it's belt, there is no reason why you could not run a new tournament every month. This strategy can be used to breath life into older titles, having those who already own it reinstall the game, while those who don't could purchase it on sale prior to the start of the tournament.

I could go on, but this now becomes a decision for your executive team and their vision of where they want the company to go. Bottom line is that the Slitherine/Matrix brand stands for strategy gaming... there is a lot of us who enjoy more cerebral challenges and not the bunny hopping FPSes or the click 5 times a second RTSes loved by over-caffeinated twitch tweens. I guarantee you that you are not reaching us (I base this on the fact that majority of this forum members that have a Slitherine account have never posted a single comment). As a community leader you could set a goal to hear at least once from every member of this board on any subject with any type of feed back. If achieved, I guarantee the sales figures will dramatically increase.

Return to “News & Announcements”