edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Field of Glory II - The Wolves have arrived

Post by edb1815 »

Dux Limitis wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:34 am
edb1815 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:42 pm
Dux Limitis wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:50 am

Most of the time I'm in campaign and custom battles against AI,the main cavalry army's AI(like sarmatians) mostly just DON'T charge when facing the late roman infantry units so don't say that "they can get out of position easily when they charge".And rough terrains?You don't have those "providential" rough grounds place in right postions and can put the enemy into bad situations every time.Especially on the steppe map

Arrian's against the Alans and Ammianus' the battle of Argentoratum in Res Gestae the backrank bowfire are based on the situations of enemy did active charge.In game they DON'T do active charge so the backrank archers as defensive POA points almost useless.Then I have to FORCED the enemy to charge so I need the backrank archers can do active shoot.
I do have a campaign started I think it is the 3rd century crisis one but I don't recall this situation you describe. I will have to start it up again. When you say they don't charge how far away in hexes are they from the infantry - the lancers I mean. Do they ride up or sit at the baseline?
For late roman campaign you should play the stilicho's,not the 3rd century crisis.But if you just wanna meet this situation I suggest you should just start a custom battle between the late roman(313-378ad's list,you play the romans) and sarmatian(25-375ad's list).

And,some times they do have sit at the start line,but most of the time they'll ride up to your frontline then just wait in front of your infantry but they just don't charge.
Ok I will try a custom battle. Yes after looking at it I see that the Crisis campaign is before the army reforms. Frankly the cavalry should be trying to work around the flanks and not charge straight in which IRL was a bad thing for the cavalry, - horses won't charge into a barricade (shieldwall) with pointy sticks!
Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Dux Limitis »

edb1815 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:19 pm
edb1815 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:42 pm

I do have a campaign started I think it is the 3rd century crisis one but I don't recall this situation you describe. I will have to start it up again. When you say they don't charge how far away in hexes are they from the infantry - the lancers I mean. Do they ride up or sit at the baseline?
So I need back rank archers for late roman infantry units.
For late roman campaign you should play the stilicho's,not the 3rd century crisis.But if you just wanna meet this situation I suggest you should just start a custom battle between the late roman(313-378ad's list,you play the romans) and sarmatian(25-375ad's list).

And,some times they do have sit at the start line,but most of the time they'll ride up to your frontline then just wait in front of your infantry but they just don't charge.
Ok I will try a custom battle. Yes after looking at it I see that the Crisis campaign is before the army reforms. Frankly the cavalry should be trying to work around the flanks and not charge straight in which IRL was a bad thing for the cavalry, - horses won't charge into a barricade (shieldwall) with pointy sticks!
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

Dux Limitis wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:40 am

OK so before I delve into WatG armies I did play out Late Romans v Sarmations with the lists above. I took 2 artillery and 2 massed archers in addition to a selection of infantry and cavalry on the flanks. The Sarmation army advanced aggressively. I had only one hill with 2 squared of rough terrain in the center where I based artillery and archers. Not counting my mistake of letting an archer unit get caught in the open the lancers did charge infantry units. Now I did have a situation that you described where 2 cometenses units held off lancer units. I think what you are seeing is the lancers don't charge when the odds are not good for them, ie; against good HI. They did charge the auxilla palatina and the limitani and when they did I was able to flank them with cavalry or hit them with another infantry to get a 2 v 1. Did the lancers sit in front of the line? Only in several places and it effectively took units out of the battle. This was on Legate difficulty and I won in the end. So iIMO the POA is sufficient for the back rank archers, especially given the defensive nature of the Roman infantry at the time. You also need to look at the effect against other historical opponents like the Germanic infantry before changing it just for one opponent.

edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

edb1815 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:56 am
Dux Limitis wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:40 am

OK so before I delve into WatG armies I did play out Late Romans v Sarmations with the lists above. I took 2 artillery and 2 massed archers in addition to a selection of infantry and cavalry on the flanks. The Sarmation army advanced aggressively. I had only one hill with 2 squared of rough terrain in the center where I based artillery and archers. Not counting my mistake of letting an archer unit get caught in the open the lancers did charge infantry units. Now I did have a situation that you described where 2 cometenses units held off lancer units. I think what you are seeing is the lancers don't charge when the odds are not good for them, ie; against good HI. They did charge the auxilla palatina and the limitani and when they did I was able to flank them with cavalry or hit them with another infantry to get a 2 v 1. Did the lancers sit in front of the line? Only in several places and it effectively took units out of the battle. This was on Legate difficulty and I won in the end. So iIMO the POA is sufficient for the back rank archers, especially given the defensive nature of the Roman infantry at the time. You also need to look at the effect against other historical opponents like the Germanic infantry before changing it just for one opponent.

I think the lancers will charge to your late roman units because the version 1.5.12 give the lancers +50 POA vs foot?In the previous version they rarely to do that thing.And,I'm in centurion difficulty,is this relate to the difficulty?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Dux Limitis wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:11 amI think the lancers will charge to your late roman units because the version 1.5.12 give the lancers +50 POA vs foot?In the previous version they rarely to do that thing.And,I'm in centurion difficulty,is this relate to the difficulty?
No, it is not related to Difficulty. And the new +50 POA is only against steady Offensive spearmen, Defensive Spearmen or Pikes, none of which exist in the Late Roman army. And it isn't "extra" it is instead of their 100 POA for lancers being completely cancelled vs these types. They always had 100 POA vs Roman infantry, and continue to do so.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “News & Announcements”