Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Slitherine to debut new PC game "Starship Troopers - Terran Command" in 2020

Post by AlbertoC »

Epsom, UK, December 2nd, 2019.

Slitherine LTD, the world’s leading publisher of digital wargames and strategy games, in collaboration with Sony Pictures Consumer Products, announced today “Starship Troopers - Terran Command”, a real time strategy game based on TriStar Pictures’s iconic 1997 movie to be released for PC in 2020.

“If you take one of the most iconic movies from the 90s and shape it into a strategy game of survival, that mixes classic real-time mechanics, tower defense and tactical deployment of units then you have ‘Starship Troopers - Terran Command’ in a nutshell”, says Iain McNeil, Development Director at Slitherine. “Modern strategy games are fast-paced and they successfully blend unit management, survival and captivating storytelling. Nothing is more suited to this type of gameplay than the Starship Troopers universe, where there is a continuous sense of danger and uncertainty”.

Set in the same universe of the original movie, “Starship Troopers - Terran Command” drops players right at the heart of a human colony overrun by the Arachnids. They must take the fight into bug territory, where they will lead an army of elite soldiers to defeat the alien menace. They will deploy their units in strategic locations to cover vital choke-points, build defence emplacements, and achieve superior firepower through the tactical use of elevation levels.

When creating this game, we aimed to capture the essence of the original movie and its universe. This is not only achieved by creating a coherent set of units and scenarios, but also by mimicking the language, visual elements, dialogues and the little details that made the film such an iconic, cult feature.”, Iain McNeil continues.

Slitherine is also a core strategy games publisher though and that doesn’t go away. This is why the British publisher is working with strategy games developer The Artistocrats to create a product that features complex mechanics, deep gameplay systems and a wide variety of options to turn a fast-paced strategy game into a mind-bending experience that involves multiple solutions to a very basic problem: to kill a lot of bugs.

The Artistocrats are the Belgian development studio behind the Order of Battle series and Commander: the Great War. Studio owner and lead designer Lukas Nijsten has been working on “Starship Troopers - Terran Command” for over two years now. The game is set to release in 2020.

To find out more about “Starship Troopers - Terran Command,” check out the product page.

bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Slitherine to debut new PC game "Starship Troopers - Terran Command" in 2020

Post by bebro »

Trailer and screens look pretty cool. I'm wondering where that Brain Bug is hiding this time tho.... :D
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: Slitherine to debut new PC game "Starship Troopers - Terran Command" in 2020

Post by Kerensky »

I have super fond memories of all the Starship Trooper user maps from Starcraft. I look forward to a proper SST game even after all this time.
And I will totally see if I can remake some of those old Starcraft SST maps in this game. ;)
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

In the film, Lt Rasczak has some good tactical advice for us all..:)

Alex20na
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Alex20na »

PoorOldSpike wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:28 pm In the film, Lt Rasczak has some good tactical advice for us all..:)

But...what if you see a dog? :|
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

He..."Lt Rasczak "...perhap's un-knowingly...seem's to be exhibiting a personality trait depicting...

[/quote]
...an individual who has the...
"Personality, Style & Grace" of a... 'Syphilitic.-Elephant'
Syphax
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Syphax »

Too bad you're not following the original source material for the Arachnids and the human forces. All of Earth's Mobile Infantry were in powered suits (e.g. mechs). The more conventional infantry was completely the movie's director's invention. Likewise the Arachnids actually did have weapons. They used ray guns.
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

Syphax wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:34 pm Too bad you're not following the original source material for the Arachnids and the human forces. All of Earth's Mobile Infantry were in powered suits (e.g. mechs). The more conventional infantry was completely the movie's director's invention. Likewise the Arachnids actually did have weapons. They used ray guns.
"Syphax post_The more conventional infantry was completely the movie's director's invention."
Now!!!...that makes much more sense!. I was of the 'Opinion' that Major..'Cranal-Anal-Inversion' was massively at play here...when...in essence...these ground troops were incredibly under-equipped...with essentially no body armor and as well essentially using feeble 'Pelet-Guns' instead of 'Ray-Guns'...to stop/confront ...'Heavily Armoured Elephants'.

"Syphax post'_All of Earth's Mobile Infantry were in powered suits (e.g. mechs).
Again!!!...this also makes much more sense!. Armored Suits...that could force-multiply their physical strength by say...X 10...and as well make them much more difficult to kill verses the blatant ease with which the Arachnids did kill the Troopers with impunity in the movie.

In addition...Heavy Ground Support was 'Non-Existant'???...Eg: Flame-Throwing-Tanks...using 'Napalm' or whatever. Air Support was almost never to be seen???.

So!...im glad you posted...making known these 'Glaring-Inconsistencies'...and bringing them to light. I was reticent in saying anything before...but now...your comment...finally moved me to action!.
Okie
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Okie »

I agree! The book should take presidence and Armor should be used but it looks like that is to late to change so we must make the best of it.
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by nexusno2000 »

Every time Starship Troopers is mentioned I get a little bit sad, as the original book by Heinlein is good, but the movies are utter trash :D

But the game does look good :D
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001
BloodCat
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by BloodCat »

nexusno2000 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:37 am Every time Starship Troopers is mentioned I get a little bit sad, as the original book by Heinlein is good, but the movies are utter trash :D
Can't agree more. The book was great, both in philosophical and military aspects, and could've provided a solid base for a detailed squad-level wargame, at least. The movie, though... all it can inspire is another CoH but with futuristic reskin.
stavros27
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by stavros27 »

Read the book and watched the first movie. I like the movie for a video game...although, tanks would be nice. Don't know if they had armor in the book, but unless they just put some in the background of the movie, they wouldn't serve any purpose.
vClaw
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by vClaw »

I'm a huge Starship Troopers fan since I watched the Rednecks animated series in my teen years. Sadly the franchise was not really treated well and the second of the animated movies was kind of bad... Hopefully this game will do the franchise justice and become a hit! :)

The satirical elements of movie 1 and 3 were very good, imo...

The reason there were no jump suits in the film like they were in the books were A) budget, they had to choose between awesome bugs or those suits, and they chose awesome bugs and B) Verhoeven (the director) thought the hopping of those suits would look silly...

There is an anime series if you can believe that, which follows the book much more closely.

The third film (Marauder) as well as the Rednecks animated series does have mecha suits ('marauders') and the following ones (Invasion and Prisoner of Mars, animated ones) have the troopers in more futuristic, Halo-esque armour.

I'd say it makes sense for the game to take the imagery of the first movie as this is widely the most well known.

The idea of sending hundreds of thousands lightly armed infantry into combat fit into the satire of the movie, as well. The Federation pretends citizenship is a great thing and that they respect their military but they're really just oppressive and the Mobile Infantry are almost literally just meat for the grinder in their eyes. In fact it's suggested that they use the war as an excuse to consolidate their own power. If you understand these themes you can appreciate the franchise way beyond a bunch of dudes shooting (or getting ripped apart by) bugs.
sara2020

Post by sara2020 »

Looks awesome
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Sad that its not power armour and mini-nukes
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
redjack
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by redjack »

Actually Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" is a sci-fitake on Leon Uris' "Battle Cry" WW2 epic.
Fire1137

Post by Fire1137 »

vClaw wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:01 am I'm a huge Starship Troopers fan since I watched the Rednecks animated series in my teen years. Sadly the franchise was not really treated well and the second of the animated movies was kind of bad... Hopefully this game will do the franchise justice and become a hit! :)

The satirical elements of movie 1 and 3 were very good, imo...

The reason there were no jump suits in the film like they were in the books were A) budget, they had to choose between awesome bugs or those suits, and they chose awesome bugs and B) Verhoeven (the director) thought the hopping of those suits would look silly...

There is an anime series if you can believe that, which follows the book much more closely.

The third film (Marauder) as well as the Rednecks animated series does have mecha suits ('marauders') and the following ones (Invasion and Prisoner of Mars, animated ones) have the troopers in more futuristic, Halo-esque armour.

I'd say it makes sense for the game to take the imagery of the first movie as this is widely the most well known.

The idea of sending hundreds of thousands lightly armed infantry into combat fit into the satire of the movie, as well. The Federation pretends citizenship is a great thing and that they respect their military but they're really just oppressive and the Mobile Infantry are almost literally just meat for the grinder in their eyes. In fact it's suggested that they use the war as an excuse to consolidate their own power. If you understand these themes you can appreciate the franchise way beyond a bunch of dudes shooting (or getting ripped apart by) bugs.

I believe people actually miss take the first film. They complain about the marauder suits not being therr and yeah it was a budget thing but if you follow the story, you can see its in the beginning of the war... They wouldnt have had the marauder suits so quickly anyway.. I own every movie title including the roughneck series and yes the book too, but i believe the movie this game is taking the action from is doing it the right way. Cant wait for the games release!

Return to “News & Announcements”