Panzer Corps 2 - A look to the future

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2 - A look to the future

Post by AlbertoC »

Hello All! This is Alex, lead developer of the Panzer Corps series. Panzer Corps 2 released three weeks ago (time flies), and we can already draw some first conclusions.

On the whole, we are really happy with how the game has been received. Metascore reached 84 and all 13 critic reviews were positive, which is very rare for a niche wargame, and an improvement over the prequel. User reactions have also been positive overall, and many war-hardened veterans of this genre told us that Panzer Corps 2 was the best game which they ever played, and better than the predecessor in every way.

Although it is 2020 and we had to update the graphics to modern standards, it’s very satisfying to hear that the new game does not only stand out because of the graphics, but also because of advancements in gameplay. In particular, players feel that the new game is more deep and tactical, without losing its charm and simplicity; that all unit classes are now useful; that the game rewards varied army composition and combined arms approach like never before, and that the number of available options allows to adapt the game to any playing style and provides a lot of replayability.

However, we will readily admit that it’s not all perfect, and there are definitely issues and things to improve. Upon release, the game has some stability issues, performance issues and bugs, especially in Multiplayer. We apologise for these defects, consider them all a top priority, and are working on them right now.

⦁ We are getting all crash reports in real time and collect them all in a big database. In each patch we address at least some of the most common crashes, and then watch how the number of events drops, so stability of the game is quickly improving. If you are playing Panzer Corps 2 and get a crash, please do press “Send & Close” button to send a report to us, and ideally also add a short description of what you were doing when the problem occurred.
⦁ There are no simple methods to improve game performance, so we are already working on a deep refactoring of the engine to provide good performance on a wider spectrum of PCs, even not the most recent or top-of-the-line models. Preliminary results look promising.
⦁ As for Multiplayer, this is where most of the time of the whole team goes right now. We are not only fixing problems, like annoying desyncs in online games. There are also several major features in the pipeline, in particular tournaments, ranked games and more content, both competitive and co-op. Panzer Corps was primarily a single player game, but we want Panzer Corps 2 to shine in Multiplayer as well.

Although many players eagerly embraced Panzer Corps 2, some others remain unconvinced. I read everything posted in player reviews and on the forums, and so I’m aware of all concerns which people voice. For example: the map looks blurry, units are hard to recognize in 3d, some mechanics could use more balancing (e. g. heroes), there is not as much content as Panzer Corps had, random maps need more options, and so on. All these concerns are perfectly understandable and valid. We will always keep them in mind and will likely address most them as we develop the series further. Our goal is to make Panzer Corps 2 a game for everyone, a definitive experience for all fans of this genre.

From experience we know that such games have a long life span and get even better over time. Panzer Corps is a prime example here; it enjoyed a record-breaking 1000+ online players this February. Not bad for a 9 years old game! We are confident that the release of Panzer Corps 2 is also just the beginning of a long and exciting journey, which we will happily share with our vibrant player community.
TJLionheart
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - A look to the future

Post by TJLionheart »

Keep up the great work, much appreciated, can't wait for the new grand campaigns ;).
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

TJLionheart wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:39 pm Keep up the great work, much appreciated, can't wait for the new grand campaigns ;).
Yeaaahhh!!!
jeffoot77
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by jeffoot77 »

The big problem of PC2 is the AI .

edit: and for me the other problem is the impossibility to have very big maps like in PC1 (what is the use of the "fast move option "of all AI units with spacebar ? )
my custom mini-campaign in order of battle :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302

Panzer corps mods archive : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/
crisse88
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by crisse88 »

The MP aspect sounds perfect from my point of view. I cant wait to get outflanked by my opponent :wink: . It would be awesome to have one map in MP that encompasses the entire eastern front. Is it something you've considered internally?
ivanov
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by ivanov »

Please fix the lack of sound of the vehicles. The sound is very important for the immersion.
Mickey Mouse

\m/ \m/
Gwaylare
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Gwaylare »

AlbertoC wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:51 pm
⦁ As for Multiplayer, this is where most of the time of the whole team goes right now. We are not only fixing problems, like annoying desyncs in online games. There are also several major features in the pipeline, in particular tournaments, ranked games and more content, both competitive and co-op. Panzer Corps was primarily a single player game, but we want Panzer Corps 2 to shine in Multiplayer as well.
Really glad to read this. PC2 has a lot of potential here to become a great multiplayer game. Just do it.

Best regards
Gwaylare
Gelete
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Gelete »

I would love some kind of role military carreer for the player.

I guess is shouldnt be that difficult and I am not asking for something really detailed. You get promotions and medals when achieving good perfomances.

Some sort of military carreer in which you begin as a Generalmajor in Poland (or in any other teather in case you start later on the war). Then you could have some ranks like the real ones:
1.-Generalmajor
2.- Generaleutnant
3.- General der Infanterie
4.- Generaloberst
5.- Generalfeldmarschall which would be the hardest and final target.

Also the adition of some regular medals like:
1.- Iron Cross 2nd and 1st classes.
2.- German Cross in Gold
3.- Knights Cross and its oak leaves, swords, diamonds and golden diamons
4.- Eventually a Great Cross of the Iron Cross in case you win the war and you already hold all previous decorations.

Also an option to see your unfiform with ranks and medals... well with this system it would be my perfect game.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

IN the FUTURE PACIFIC campaign for the japanese forces please !!!!
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

calmhatchery wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 am IN the FUTURE PACIFIC campaign for the japanese forces please !!!!
In all seriousness, why the interest to visit the Pacific. Does OOB not cover that extensively already, or do you want to see Panzer Corps style campaigns and mechanics over there in that theater?
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

Kerensky wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:22 pm
calmhatchery wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 am IN the FUTURE PACIFIC campaign for the japanese forces please !!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote=Kerensky post_"In all seriousness, why the interest to visit the Pacific". Does OOB not cover that extensively already, or do you want to see Panzer Corps style campaigns and mechanics over there in that theater?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agree!...OoB does cover that extensively. However!... at the same time that I'm with you and am agreeing with you 'resolutely'... I still can't tear myself away from the hope that somehow 'Slitherine'... will find a way to come up with something exciting and intriguing in this department.
RockyRakoon
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by RockyRakoon »

Any hope of an eventual Mac version?
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Kerensky wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:22 pm
In all seriousness, why the interest to visit the Pacific. Does OOB not cover that extensively already, or do you want to see Panzer Corps style campaigns and mechanics over there in that theater?
YES!! Definitely!! OOB is great. but the mechanics and rules are little different.
Johannex

Post by Johannex »

ivanov wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:48 am Please fix the lack of sound of the vehicles. The sound is very important for the immersion.
That would also be my primary complaint with the game at the moment. The sound design (especially the vehicle movement, why do tanks or halftracks sound like oridinary trucks?...) begs for a proper overhaul, the game would benefit greatly from it.

As far as future content is concerned - BIGGER MAPS, please! The ones in the base game feel very small, often restricting.
Edmon
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Edmon »

Johannex wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:58 am
ivanov wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:48 am Please fix the lack of sound of the vehicles. The sound is very important for the immersion.
That would also be my primary complaint with the game at the moment. The sound design (especially the vehicle movement, why do tanks or halftracks sound like oridinary trucks?...) begs for a proper overhaul, the game would benefit greatly from it.

As far as future content is concerned - BIGGER MAPS, please! The ones in the base game feel very small, often restricting.
This is a perference thing, I really like the small maps because I like the fact they are very tactical and every decision matters. I also don't like massive waits between turns as 200 units make their moves.

They have massive maps for those that like that experience, in the scenario mode.
jeffoot77

Post by jeffoot77 »

" I also don't like massive waits between turns as 200 units make their moves."

--> there is the SPACE bar which accelerate the turns of AI. The interest of PC2 is to play big maps with this option.
my custom mini-campaign in order of battle :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302

Panzer corps mods archive : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

jeffoot77 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:46 pm " I also don't like massive waits between turns as 200 units make their moves."

--> there is the SPACE bar which accelerate the turns of AI. The interest of PC2 is to play big maps with this option.
I miss some stuff on AI turn as it is let alone if you speed things up!

I like big maps but I also like smaller maps too. The game needs to keep a balance between the two though in order to cater for all types of players.

It may may even be worth thinking about two separate campaign....1 epic style to suit the "bigger is better" players and one where the scenarios don't get huge for the players who offer a smaller maps. Might be a lot of work though!
Gaelic_Laoch

Post by Gaelic_Laoch »

Just want to post a thank you for such a great game. I am at home in lockdown and PC2 has passed the hours away allowing me to do my work while popping into the game to make my next move into Poland. Please keep supporting the game!
urbanov4
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urbanov4 »

What I miss from the game:

- multiple victory conditions (not historically accurate that one defeat will lose everithyng)
- diversified campaign tree, depending on winning conditions and/or players choices
- bigger maps
- I felt supply system better in PZC1 (till this time I never faced the fact in PZC2 that I am out of ammunition or fuel. In PZC1 it was a critical point to organize your resources well).
- Grand Campaigns (like it was in PZC1 after Grand C DLC came). My opinion: the more is better, and it never can be enough :)
(-maybe this is just my wish: cinamatic feedthrough movies between campaigns. Thy were last in teh Panzer General series and they made a very good war feeling for the game, also I felt them some kind of reward after an (un)successfull campaign.)
- I think, the old sístem of upgrade was better. Not realistic to save all of your money when upgrade your unit to a totally different one. The old sístem, when you could upgrade your units only to the analogous types for a cheaper price made the choice more difficult, when you had to plan your whole campaign, but also more interesting. If you can do anything you lose part of cahllange.
- Historically accurate multiplayer scenarios, even if they are not totally balanced (D-day, El-alamein, Poland, Battle of Britain, etc-not just the kind of Steamroller etc. hypothetical ones).

I am wondering the feedback of other players and also developers about my raisings.
sternspieler

Post by sternspieler »

I discovered that if aircraft (fighters) are rebased to a location beyond their normal combat zone to an airbase that has been recently captured and still has enemy aircraft located there (such as after a day of rain), rather than rebasing they will attack. A nice trick if you know it, but seems a bit unfair.

Return to “News & Announcements”