Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2 - Spanish Civil War || Dev Diary #2

Post by AlbertoC »

New Units and You

With the Field Marshal access of the Spanish Civil War only days away, we have one more dev diary for you to enjoy before you embark on your own journey into the new Panzer Corps 2 DLC. In order to properly represent the battles of the upcoming DLC, we have added dozens of unit models and also unit entries to the game files.

And today, we want to highlight the fantastic work our artists have done for us in providing you with these awesome new weapons of war. At the bottom of this announcement, you can find a complete list of all unit entries that have been added to Panzer Corps 2 alongside the first two Axis Operations DLC that are included in your Field Marshal editions.

New Models

Panzer I Breda

First off, we have a conversion of the humble Panzer I. Historically, this field modification was done as the Nationalists, Germans, and Italians in Spain quickly realized the machinegun armament of the Panzer I was insufficient to take on Soviet made, Republican manned, T-26 tanks.

Experimental Tank Design Codename: Verdeja 2

THIS INFORMATION IS CLASSIFIED. THIS UNIT IS UNAVAILABLE BY NORMAL PURCHASING MEANS AND CAN ONLY BE ACQUIRED BY ALTERNATIVE MEANS...

Henschel Hs-123a

Next, we have a biplane unit that many players will probably recognize, as it continued to serve with the Wehrmacht into World War II. The Henschel 123a proved to be a reliable and rugged ground attack aircraft even in very cold weather conditions.

Heinkel He-70 Rayo (Spanish nickname: Lightning)

The primary recon aircraft for the player in the Spanish Civil War, the He-70 Rayo offers great movement speed, high vision radius, and spotting bonuses against nearby enemy units. For the time, it was an extremely fast aircraft, setting numerous world speed records even before the start of the Spanish Civil War.

Sdkfz 221

The predecessor to the very well known and popular German recon vehicle sdkfz 222, the 221's most notable different is the smaller, machine gun armed turret.

Heinkel He-112

One of many fighter designs Germany was eager to experiment with during the Spanish Civil War. Despite performing exceptional well in trials and even seeing some combat testing in Spain, ultimately the sleek looking He-112 would be overshadowed by the superior performing and now well renowned Messerschmitt BF-109 fighter.

Trubia

Our first non-German new model to look at today, we have the bizarre Trubia tank. Pressed into service, the Trubia wasn't a purpose built tank. It served as one of several tractor conversions fielded by Spanish Republican forces to combat their Nationalist foes. Despite its large barrels looking like cannons, the Trubia was armed exclusively with machineguns only. The thick covering that makes the barrel look like a cannon are actually cooling jackets.
By the way, if anyone designs plush toys, let us know. We want an adorable Trubia tank plushie please!

Bilbao

One of several armored cars present in the campaign, the antiquated Bilbao vehicle will be a regular, but not terribly threatening, sight on the battlefield, especially in the early years of the Spanish Civil War.

UNL-35

Unlike the maligned Bilbao, the UNL-35 was a much more formidable armored car. It is clear to see the design's Soviet origins, and the performance of this vehicle is actually respectable and perhaps even superior to the somewhat under-gunned sdkfz 221. A potentially valuable prize to capture and field in your own army.

I-16 (Spanish Nationalist nickname Rata, Republican nickname Mosca)

No coverage of the Spanish Civil War would be complete without the presence of Soviet I-16 fighters. These aircraft operated in Spain as early as late 1936, and proved extremely effective at dealing with German He-51 biplane fighters. Not until the arrival of the BF-109B would the Ratas finally be cleared from the skies of Spain during the massive Battle of the Ebro.

Spanish Militia, Guardia Civil, Regulars, Colonial Infantry, and International Brigades

We touched on the various new infantry appearing in the Spanish Civil War, but here is a closer look at them. Both sides fielded various militia and guardia civil units. Nationalist Regulares are the equal of the Republican Brigada Mixtas. Franco's elite professionals of the Army of Africa take the form of Colonial infantry, while various Republican International brigades offer extremely determined resistance to any Nationalist or Condor Legion assault!

We hope you enjoyed this preview showcasing just a few of the new unit models arriving soon in Panzer Corps 2. You can look forward to discovering even more of the new unit models once you launch into the Spanish Civil War DLC Campaign!

New Unit Entries List

CONDOR LEGION
Panzer IA
Panzer IB
Panzer IIA
Sdkfz 221
Sdkfz 222
Sdkfz 231 6 rad
3.7cm Pak 36
Panzer I Breda
2cm FlaK 30
3.7cm FlaK 18
Sdkfz 10/4
8.8cm Flak 18
7.5cm FK 16 nA
10.5cm leFH 18
He-51
He-112
BF-109B
He-70 Rayo
He-123a
He-45
Ju-87a
Ju-52 bomber
Ju-86
Do-17z

SPANISH NATIONALIST
Militia
Regulares
Guardia Civil
Colonial Infantry
ES Cavalry
Verdeja 2
37mm Bofors

SPANISH REPUBLICAN
Militia
Brigada Mixta
Guardia Civil
International Brigade
BT-5
T-26
Trubia
FT-17
BA-6
Bilbao
UNL-35
AAC-1937
37mm M1930
45mm M1932
20mm M33
75mm Vickers M31
76.2 M31
70mm Schneider M08
75mm Schneider M06
105mm Vickers M22
122mm M10/30
152mm M10/30
I-15
I-16
Tupolev SB

ITALY
CTV Infantry
Cr32
Lancia Ansaldo 1ZM
SM81

GERMAN
Azul Infanterie
Azul Infanterie 43

CZECH
CZ Infantry
CZ Engineers
LT vz.35
LT vz.38
OA vz.30
3.7cm KPUV
20mm VKPL
83.5mm Skoda
75mm vz.15
100mm Skoda vz14/19
150mm vz.25

DANISH
DK Infantry
DK Guards
DK Motorcycle
37mm Bofors
20mm M/38
75mm FRC M27

Extra Information

All new units and units models are available FOR FREE for all owners of any edition of Panzer Corps 2 to enjoy in their own custom content. These units and unit models will arrive in a patch alongside the Spanish Civil War DLC or Axis Operations 1939.
No extra purchase is required for any non-campaign asset.
SineMora
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Spanish Civil War || Dev Diary #2

Post by SineMora »

AlbertoC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 pm DANISH
DK Infantry
DK Guards
DK Motorcycle
37mm Bofors
20mm M/38
75mm FRC M27
I'll take that as a hint :wink:
Mildly pretentious Swede. Goes by Path on most platforms, including Steam.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=596&t=98034 -- Generalissimus AAR (no Trophies / Heroes)
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Is a spoiler warning appropriate if the announcement is a reveal?

There is indeed juicy nuggets of information in there with Danish units and Azul Infanterie...
Ezequiel1996
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Ezequiel1996 »

was the bf 109 E-1 used during the last phase of the spanish civil war by the condor legion?
Ezequiel1996

Post by Ezequiel1996 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condor_Legion i have found that they used the bf 109 C D and E, that's intersting
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

"Holy!-Freaking!-Lightening!!!"...... what a 'Spectacular Presentation!!!'
The 'Unit-Visualizations' are 'Awsome!!!'... the next step up! [Which is not currently possible :( ] is rendering them into something like resembling... 'Total-Realism'.

quote: "AlbertoC"
we have added dozens of unit models and also unit entries to the game files.

And today, we want to highlight the fantastic work our artists have done for us in providing you with these awesome new weapons of war.

I'm going to ask 'again!' as I did some great long time ago... regarding the quantity purchasing of the 'Game-Units'.

If it is practical at all... in order to make this 'Campaign-Simulation' as realistic as it can be made to be under the circumstances... I personally would like to have available an 'Access-Button' that could be used to initiate the "action-effect" of providing the actual 'Historical-Resource-Equipment-Totals'... that were able to be fielded at that time-period.
Akkula
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Akkula »

Beautiful, just beautiful!.
Just one small request: please resize the I-16, nowadays is HUGE in comparison to other fighters :)

Regards,
Akkula.
Eastern Front: Soviet Storm (v1.96): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50342
Modern Conflicts (v1.95): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062
KesaAnna
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by KesaAnna »

Lol , I EXPECTED to be disappointed in my hearts desire , and then I saw this ;
AlbertoC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 pmJu-87a
:shock:

I then did a Google search using the term , " Ju-87a " to reassure myself that I wasn't mistaken , or imagining things ! :lol:

Yay ! I have wanted to see my beloved , precious Jolanthe in a war game for decades !

The flying pig of death will take to the skies of Spanien !

Time for me to celebrate , with an improvised flying pig of death anthem !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGx_NCj3k9k

Jolanthe !

Jolanthe !

Jolanthe ! :mrgreen:

AlbertoC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 pm We want an adorable Trubia tank plushie please!
It is rather cute . The next best thing to the Bob Semple tank I suppose . :D
AlbertoC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 pm Bilbao

One of several armored cars present in the campaign, the antiquated Bilbao vehicle will be a regular, but not terribly threatening, sight on the battlefield, especially in the early years of the Spanish Civil War.
And I suppose that's the next best thing to the antiquated British Rolls- Royce armored car. Maybe I can capture some of those ?

Grrr , you folks keep turning out units I love , but I can't possibly buy / field them all !
AlbertoC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 pmNo coverage of the Spanish Civil War would be complete without the presence of Soviet I-16 fighters.
Along with the Fiery Battle , the only enemy aircraft I can forego my hatred enough to covet. Maybe I can capture some of those ?

Grrr , you folks keep turning out units I love , but I can't possibly buy / field them all !
AlbertoC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 pmSpanish Militia, Guardia Civil, Regulars, Colonial Infantry, and International Brigades

Those Spanish Nationalist troops are so juicy , that now I want to pretend that Emilio Mola didn't die , and play the Spanish Nationalist faction !

International Brigades ?!

Tsk , Tsk , George Orwell is just gonna have too die ! :twisted:
AlbertoC wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:15 pmAzul Infanterie
The Blue Division ?! I'm going to have too re - organize my future German Grand Campaign forces. Now that we are going to have them , I simply cannot live without a contingent of the Blue Division !
Retributarr wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:26 pm
The 'Unit-Visualizations' are 'Awsome!!!'...

I suspect a lot of people , especially people with small monitors , habitually play the game zoomed out.

Once in awhile you have to pause , and zoom in close , because the models in this game , yes , even the infantry models , really are awesome ! :D
JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 »

who's coming with the units stats, jeeez.... PzI Breda... Soft Attack 1 because it has a 20mm autocannon... yet SDKFZ221 which has just a machine gun gets Soft Attack 7 ??? These stats are completely made up and make absolutely no sense... even if that Breda did not have any HE rounds, 10 round burst of 20mm AP rounds would do much more damage than a machine gun burst... (yet HE rounds were commonly available, because they were issued to Anti-Aircraft guns which used them as a main projectile...)
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

JaM2013 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 am who's coming with the units stats, jeeez.... PzI Breda... Soft Attack 1 because it has a 20mm autocannon... yet SDKFZ221 which has just a machine gun gets Soft Attack 7 ??? These stats are completely made up and make absolutely no sense... even if that Breda did not have any HE rounds, 10 round burst of 20mm AP rounds would do much more damage than a machine gun burst... (yet HE rounds were commonly available, because they were issued to Anti-Aircraft guns which used them as a main projectile...)
Great "Stool-Pigeon-Work"... "JaM2013",,, whether you are correct in your observations or not... I personally would not know. However... nevertheless... it is still inspiring to see that someone is making sure that "Devepoper-HQ" is kept on their toes or on the straight and narrow as it were!.

Keep up the 'Good-Work!'.
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

Retributarr wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:47 am
JaM2013 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 am who's coming with the units stats, jeeez.... PzI Breda... Soft Attack 1 because it has a 20mm autocannon... yet SDKFZ221 which has just a machine gun gets Soft Attack 7 ??? These stats are completely made up and make absolutely no sense... even if that Breda did not have any HE rounds, 10 round burst of 20mm AP rounds would do much more damage than a machine gun burst... (yet HE rounds were commonly available, because they were issued to Anti-Aircraft guns which used them as a main projectile...)
Great "Stool-Pigeon-Work"... "JaM2013",,, whether you are correct in your observations or not... I personally would not know. However... nevertheless... it is still inspiring to see that someone is making sure that "Devepoper-HQ" is kept on their toes or on the straight and narrow as it were!.

Keep up the 'Good-Work!'.
Its not the only "inconsistency" in Panzer Corps 2... Unit stats are way too much biased towards Soviet units, where certain tanks are insanely overpowered like for example T34-M43 which got same Hard Attack as Panzer IV with long gun.. and most funny is the T34/85 with Hard Attack same as Panther, which is pure fiction, as 7.5cm KwK42 completely outclassed 85mm D-5T at any range... i could go on and on with similar stuff, which btw i did report in the past (i did participate in beta) but my concerns were completely ignored..
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

JaM2013 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:53 am
Its not the only "inconsistency" in Panzer Corps 2... Unit stats are way too much biased towards Soviet units, where certain tanks are insanely overpowered like for example T34-M43 which got same Hard Attack as Panzer IV with long gun.. and most funny is the T34/85 with Hard Attack same as Panther, which is pure fiction, as 7.5cm KwK42 completely outclassed 85mm D-5T at any range... i could go on and on with similar stuff, which btw i did report in the past (i did participate in beta) but my concerns were completely ignored..
"JaM2013"... your comment "Struck-A-Nerve" in me... because what you have just described... is what I have experienced!.

Some Russian-Tanks are just 'Totally-Invincible' to even the most experienced powerful tank that the Germans can field... why is that???. The only way I could take it out was by using the 'Stuka' dive bomber several times to incrementally bring down the Russians-Tank strength down notch by notch until 'My-Tanks' could finally deliver the 'Coupe De Grace!'.

Yes!... some Game-Units need to be 'Re-adjusted!'... as their settings are 'Way-out-of-reasonableness'.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

I have to admit that the announcements look fantastic and I'm looking forward to PzC 2 Grand Campaign
BTW a few more Italian units from the 1930s and we can create a mod about the war in Abyssinia too :wink:
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

T34 is a mythical tank, but problem is, it was not that great besides the initial shock in 1941 when Germans didnt really have guns that could deal with more than 60mm of armor at medium distances, but that doesnt mean it stayed that way entire war... when PaK40 came, T34 were getting killed at insane rate (20.000 T34 every year) because flaws these tanks had were extremely impacfull - 2man turret meant commander was also a loader, therefore he did not have time to observe the battlefield and search for targets which resulted in tanks fighting practically blind, and falling into ambushes. it also meant rate of fire was reduced below optimal, and German tanks commonly out-fired the Russians 3:1 or more (more space in 3man turret also meant faster loading).. After all, during WW2 Soviets lost staggering 98500 armored vehicles, and around 300000 tankers, which gives 3.1 killed per destroyed tank.... (compare that to American Sherman with 0.5 killed per destroyed tank, yet Sherman is called a "Deathtrap" by some media..)
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

kondi754 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:55 am I have to admit that the announcements look fantastic and I'm looking forward to PzC 2 Grand Campaign
BTW a few more Italian units from the 1930s and we can create a mod about the war in Abyssinia too :wink:
"kondi754"... yes a war in Abyssinia... hmmm'... if making the 'Spanish Civil War' was difficult... a war
... a Campaign in 'East Africa' would very likely be much more difficult?.

I was always wondering why "Mussolini" made the decision to prosecute the War in East Africa?... Well!... I think that I found out why!. 'Mussolini' knew that if France and Britain decided to put an end to his rampaging adventure... that his 'Supply-Corridor' by means of the 'Suez-Canal' would then be blocked to Italian Supply Ships... meaning that... that would spell doom or defeat to his East Africa army group... as no more supply shipments would be coming through.

Mussolini also knew that France and Britain... were seeking to enlist 'Italy' to join them in their upcoming confrontation with Adolf Hitler!. Because of that... he felt that they had given him the go-ahead as far as not interfering with his effort to take East Africa... so Mussolini decided to risk doing just that.

I came across an excerpt in one of topics dealing with the 'Mussolini-Topic'... where it stated that 'Mussolini' knew that his supplies would be cut, but as well... he thought that if he could take French and British Somoliland as well as the British ports... and such... as well as now that the French and British would see that he had vanquished all of East Africa... that they would come to their senses... and sue for peace with him, then let him have his conquests... thereby letting him off the hook!.

So!... "Mussolini"... was taking a huge 'Gamble' that this would work out... he was taking a big chance... as Hitler did on a few occasions.
sebb81
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by sebb81 »

JaM2013 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:01 am T34 is a mythical tank, but problem is, it was not that great besides the initial shock in 1941 when Germans didnt really have guns that could deal with more than 60mm of armor at medium distances, but that doesnt mean it stayed that way entire war... when PaK40 came, T34 were getting killed at insane rate (20.000 T34 every year) because flaws these tanks had were extremely impacfull
I think your numbers are overestimated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34#Mass_production
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Italy in 1935 was considered in Europe and the World as one of the military powers, an economically strong country (thanks to the sensible economic policy of the fascists in the 1920s), but Mussolini needed spectacular success.
Unfortunately, involvement in Spain and above all in East Africa ruined the country, which in 1940 was therefore unprepared for war. In addition, it was not at all certain in 1935-36 on which side Mussolini would ultimately go.
The decisive reason for the decision to support Hitler in the war was the surprisingly easy defeat of France, Mussolini knew that this was the last chance to stand on the side of the winners and participate in the division of loot, to repair the treasury after the huge expenses of 1936-39.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

This looks absolutley great and I'm looking forward to the DLC even more. That's a lot of equipment to choose from and do those tiny upgrades that make me want to push to the next scenario to see what I can change for it.

The only thing I would perhpas adjust is the fact that He-70 has no passive air attack. It did have a rear gunner, so [1] would probably be appropriate.
JaM2013

Post by JaM2013 »

sebb81 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:02 pm
JaM2013 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:01 am T34 is a mythical tank, but problem is, it was not that great besides the initial shock in 1941 when Germans didnt really have guns that could deal with more than 60mm of armor at medium distances, but that doesnt mean it stayed that way entire war... when PaK40 came, T34 were getting killed at insane rate (20.000 T34 every year) because flaws these tanks had were extremely impacfull
I think your numbers are overestimated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34#Mass_production
my fault, it was supposed to be 20000 tanks, but not all were T34. in 1942 they lost 6600 T34 tanks(15100 total), in 1943 it was 14 700 T34 (23500 total tank lost) and in 1944 they lost 13700 T34 out of 23700 tanks lost. Overall, out of 54550 T34 manufactured during WW2, 44900 were lost ( 83% loss rate) btw in 1941 they lost 2300 T34 and 900 KV tanks, out of 20500 tanks lost by Soviet Red army(it counts tanks with units and delivered to units till end of the year)...

more details here:

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/the- ... rformance/

fully agree especially with this quotation:
Of the total of 20 500 Soviet tanks lost in 1941, approximately 2 300 were T-34s and over 900 were mostly KV heavy tanks.(7) Even if the T-34’s loss ratio was better than seven for every German tank, it was still most likely in the region of four or five to one. Frankly, if 2 300 of any new Wehrmacht tank type had been lost within six months of its first deployment, even with a loss ratio of one to one (let alone 0.2-0.3 to one), then most WWII historians would have described the tank’s combat record as an unmitigated diaster.
Kanthe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Kanthe »

Hi there. New units, I like!
But one thing: In spanish civil war, the Panzer II was not used!
Only Panzer I A and B where used in Spain.

Return to “News & Announcements”