Currently unplayable (SOLVED)

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

TimS_slith
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:16 pm

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by TimS_slith » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:02 pm

I have just finished the tutorials which I managed to get through without any crashes. The game play was extremely slow and the animation was very choppy to the point that finishing the tutorials was not at all enjoyable and I can’t see going on to the campaigns until this is fixed. Also, the GPU was at max the whole time and the fan noise was really unpleasant. Possibly the result of my I5 XPS laptop but my days of buying a new laptop every time a new game comes out are over.

I also found that it was difficult to see many of the units as they totally blended with the map background and even more difficult to distinguish between unit types such as the fighters and tactical bombers. I do like the new features and was left feeling that had the new features been added to the old game, or the old maps and units been retained, that this would be a better game. All in all very disappointing.

Vanha
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by Vanha » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:03 pm

Can't start a new scenario, mission or campaign, same old freezing on the loading screen...

Tried disabling Soundblaster GX6 and got the game loading 3 times... but after that it was back to the normal loading screen freeze... for a second I was sure I had it figured.

Vanha
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by Vanha » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:51 pm

Might have found a fix... 5 out of 5 times loading without a freeze or "not responding".

If anyone is having a similar or exact same issue as me:

1. Type "Graphic settings" in to the Windows search bar
2. Choose classic app
3. Browse to your Pz2 installation folder and select PanzerCorps2.exe
4. Select options and High Performance

graph.jpg
graph.jpg (69.45 KiB) Viewed 861 times


Selecting "High Performance etc. options" from Nvidia control panel had no effect at all, strangely selecting them from windows have. More on this, when I actually have time to play the game.

Vanha
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by Vanha » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Nope still keeps freezing... god damn... :evil:

PoorOldSpike
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by PoorOldSpike » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:47 pm

Dunno if this is relevant, but when I start PC2, a message comes up saying- "WARNING: Known issues with your NVidia graphics driver, update to latest driver"
I'll update later but meanwhile the game runs fine with no issues.
Tanks were invented to make war more fun

Vanha
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by Vanha » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:58 pm

PoorOldSpike wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:47 pm
Dunno if this is relevant, but when I start PC2, a message comes up saying- "WARNING: Known issues with your NVidia graphics driver, update to latest driver"
I'll update later but meanwhile the game runs fine with no issues.
Already have the latest one 445.75

Have over 300 games and this is the only one refusing to run.

PoorOldSpike
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by PoorOldSpike » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:12 pm

Another thing worth mentioning- during installation a warning message came up saying some geeky stuff about a missing file or something, and that the "Installation might fail", but I carried on with the installation and it didn't fail, and the game runs perfectly.

So if I were you Vanha I'd do a reinstall in case the "missing file" thing is affecting you behind the scenes.
Tanks were invented to make war more fun

Vanha
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by Vanha » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:32 pm

PoorOldSpike wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:12 pm
Another thing worth mentioning- during installation a warning message came up saying some geeky stuff about a missing file or something, and that the "Installation might fail", but I carried on with the installation and it didn't fail, and the game runs perfectly.

So if I were you Vanha I'd do a reinstall in case the "missing file" thing is affecting you behind the scenes.
Yep, reinstalling the game currently and on a different SSD drive.

eddieballgame
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Posts: 478
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:53 am

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by eddieballgame » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 pm

Not sure if this will help.
Running on a 'win 7' & a 'win 10' laptop; all is well except for one issue that was, easily, resolved.
I use large 'tv monitors' (40+ inches), & on one I had to adjust the screen resolution to a specific setting.
Otherwise I could not activate the buttons at the bottom.

Before that, I could still load a random scenario via the Editor which I found interesting.

Vanha
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by Vanha » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:05 pm

Vanha wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:32 pm
PoorOldSpike wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:12 pm
Another thing worth mentioning- during installation a warning message came up saying some geeky stuff about a missing file or something, and that the "Installation might fail", but I carried on with the installation and it didn't fail, and the game runs perfectly.

So if I were you Vanha I'd do a reinstall in case the "missing file" thing is affecting you behind the scenes.
Yep, reinstalling the game currently and on a different SSD drive.
Still the sama issue... 0% CPU 0% GPU 0% DISK and nothing happens...
blah.jpg
blah.jpg (65.32 KiB) Viewed 768 times

PoorOldSpike
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by PoorOldSpike » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:03 pm

Incidentally which game version are we talking about, the current one is 07 so perhaps some left-over background stuff from the two earlier versions needs to be cleaned out to give us a clean slate when installing 07?

PS- I only found out there was an 07 accidentally when somebody casually mentioned it in a post, so I wish new updates would be announced in big bold letters somewhere so we don't miss them.
Tanks were invented to make war more fun

Vanha
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by Vanha » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:12 pm

PoorOldSpike wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:03 pm
Incidentally which game version are we talking about, the current one is 07 so perhaps some left-over background stuff from the two earlier versions needs to be cleaned out to give us a clean slate when installing 07?

PS- I only found out there was an 07 accidentally when somebody casually mentioned it in a post, so I wish new updates would be announced in big bold letters somewhere so we don't miss them.
The 07. Did a clean reinstall, Checked all the boxes on GOG Galaxy when uninstalling.

Now running "sfc /scannow" command

Vanha
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by Vanha » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:07 pm

Out of ideas, waiting for the next patch.

Win 10, 3570K, 980Ti, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Creative G6, Logitech G710, Logitech G502

PoorOldSpike
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by PoorOldSpike » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:09 am

Vanha wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:07 pm
Out of ideas, waiting for the next patch.
Win 10, 3570K, 980Ti, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Creative G6, Logitech G710, Logitech G502

Dunno if there's any clues in the screenshot below, it comes up about once in every 10 times I start PC2, it's all geek to me-

Image
Tanks were invented to make war more fun

Vanha
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by Vanha » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:31 pm

Pretty sure the problem is within Comodo Antivirus. Exiting the security suite doesn't help, neither creating custom rulesets to firewall, but turning antivirus off seems to do the trick... Played at least 4 hours without a single freeze, turned antivirus on and the freezing is back. Strangely the security suite doesn't say it's blocking or hindering the game, but it sure seems like it does.

PoorOldSpike
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by PoorOldSpike » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:52 am

I wonder if it makes a difference whether we download games from the manufacturer or Steam?
Personally I've had various issues with Steam in the past (it's download times are horrendous and I especially dislike the way it auto-updates stuff as there seems no way to turn auto-updates off) so nowadays I always download from the manufacturer if at all possible, for examp I d/loaded PC2 from Slitherine.
Tanks were invented to make war more fun

Vanha
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Currently unplayable (SOLVED)

Post by Vanha » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:34 am

Vanha wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:31 pm
Pretty sure the problem is within Comodo Antivirus. Exiting the security suite doesn't help, neither creating custom rulesets to firewall, but turning antivirus off seems to do the trick... Played at least 4 hours without a single freeze, turned antivirus on and the freezing is back. Strangely the security suite doesn't say it's blocking or hindering the game, but it sure seems like it does.
Had another multihour session without any problems, so case closed. Hope this helps others with similar issues.

Pill
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Currently unplayable

Post by Pill » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:11 am

Vanha wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:29 pm
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 - motherboard integrated and never used
Realtek High Definition Audio - motherboard integrated and not used
Sound BlasterX G6 - up to date
Freed 12GB from drive C: although I have tried to set temp and page file stuff to other drive previous to this.

I know power and GPU load are different things, exactly why I pointed it out. So let's see the exact same scenario with high settings for comparison.

high_settings_powerVH.zip

As we can see the CPU and GPU are still okayish, but the power usage is a problem... maybe my PSU is dying, after all the whole gaming rig is at the very end of it's life cycle.

Still I find it odd, that high power hogging happens in a still leaderboards type off a screen and not while in a scenario/mission.
Task Manager is of limited use when troubleshooting, particularly if going by the numbers when tabbed out to the desktop :)
Its' hard to pinpoint a hardware issue remotely but I read your first post and my initial thought was PSU (provided nothing is overclocked). Windowed mode reduces the GPU load in turn reducing power draw... PzG 2 is resource heavy which can be a blessing and a curse, high GPU load will reveal an underpowered PSU pretty quick.

drjeff21
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Currently unplayable (SOLVED)

Post by drjeff21 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:53 pm

Every time I try to start a scenario or campaign I encounter the "An Unreal Process Has Crashed...." screen posted by PoorOldSpike. I was working directly with support to try to resolve (sending requested logs and files, etc.) and after several days the support person stopped responding. I have given up on PanzerCorps 2 at this point.

Post Reply

Return to “Panzer Corps 2: Tech Support”