Slitherine to debut new PC game "Starship Troopers - Terran Command" in 2020

Starship Troopers - Terran Command is a thrilling real-time strategy game set in the Starship Troopers movies universe. Take command of the Mobile Infantry and do your part in the war against the Arachnid threat. Ensure that human civilization, not insect, dominates the galaxy now and always!
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Slitherine to debut new PC game "Starship Troopers - Terran Command" in 2020

Post by AlbertoC »

Epsom, UK, December 2nd, 2019.

Slitherine LTD, the world’s leading publisher of digital wargames and strategy games, in collaboration with Sony Pictures Consumer Products, announced today “Starship Troopers - Terran Command”, a real time strategy game based on TriStar Pictures’s iconic 1997 movie to be released for PC in 2020.

“If you take one of the most iconic movies from the 90s and shape it into a strategy game of survival, that mixes classic real-time mechanics, tower defense and tactical deployment of units then you have ‘Starship Troopers - Terran Command’ in a nutshell”, says Iain McNeil, Development Director at Slitherine. “Modern strategy games are fast-paced and they successfully blend unit management, survival and captivating storytelling. Nothing is more suited to this type of gameplay than the Starship Troopers universe, where there is a continuous sense of danger and uncertainty”.

Set in the same universe of the original movie, “Starship Troopers - Terran Command” drops players right at the heart of a human colony overrun by the Arachnids. They must take the fight into bug territory, where they will lead an army of elite soldiers to defeat the alien menace. They will deploy their units in strategic locations to cover vital choke-points, build defence emplacements, and achieve superior firepower through the tactical use of elevation levels.

When creating this game, we aimed to capture the essence of the original movie and its universe. This is not only achieved by creating a coherent set of units and scenarios, but also by mimicking the language, visual elements, dialogues and the little details that made the film such an iconic, cult feature.”, Iain McNeil continues.

Slitherine is also a core strategy games publisher though and that doesn’t go away. This is why the British publisher is working with strategy games developer The Artistocrats to create a product that features complex mechanics, deep gameplay systems and a wide variety of options to turn a fast-paced strategy game into a mind-bending experience that involves multiple solutions to a very basic problem: to kill a lot of bugs.

The Artistocrats are the Belgian development studio behind the Order of Battle series and Commander: the Great War. Studio owner and lead designer Lukas Nijsten has been working on “Starship Troopers - Terran Command” for over two years now. The game is set to release in 2020.

To find out more about “Starship Troopers - Terran Command,” check out the product page.

Nomada_Firefox
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Slitherine to debut new PC game "Starship Troopers - Terran Command" in 2020

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

I looks good. It was a very big surprise to discover a new game in progress from Slitherine in a universe as Starship Troopers. You are working in all the good licenses with exception from Star Wars.
uneducated
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Slitherine to debut new PC game "Starship Troopers - Terran Command" in 2020

Post by uneducated »

This is delightful news. Well done to Slitherine for taking care of this and thank you to The Aristocrats for development!

The films were great fun, of course, but the original (1959) is a classic in Science-Fiction and well worth the read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers
Solaristics
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Solaristics »

uneducated wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:10 am This is delightful news. Well done to Slitherine for taking care of this and thank you to The Aristocrats for development!

The films were great fun, of course, but the original (1959) is a classic in Science-Fiction and well worth the read.

It is a fun movie and all but the original book provides a framework for a serious computer wargame that unfortunately looks like it will never be made. The 1976 Avalon Hill game is still the only serious gaming treatment of the book as far as I am aware.
edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by edb1815 »

Solaristics wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:52 am
uneducated wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:10 am This is delightful news. Well done to Slitherine for taking care of this and thank you to The Aristocrats for development!

It is a fun movie and all but the original book provides a framework for a serious computer wargame that unfortunately looks like it will never be made. The 1976 Avalon Hill game is still the only serious gaming treatment of the book as far as I am aware.
I have that game. A great board game that would have been great by itself as the basis for the PC game. After having read the Heinlein classic and played the boardgame, the movie version left much to be desired (IMO). The movie was more about the individuals in the typical Hollywood way, than the world created by Heinlein. Not many likely remember that in the book there was a second alien race called skinnies (also featured in the AH boardgame).
Solaristics
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Solaristics »

edb1815 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 pm

I have that game. A great board game that would have been great by itself as the basis for the PC game. After having read the Heinlein classic and played the boardgame, the movie version left much to be desired (IMO). The movie was more about the individuals in the typical Hollywood way, than the world created by Heinlein. Not many likely remember that in the book there was a second alien race called skinnies (also featured in the AH boardgame).
You are my new best friend :). Did you get the General magazine expansion for the game (Apr/May 1977)?
CaesarCzech
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by CaesarCzech »

since its based on movie version i sincerely hope that with your moral choices you dont intend to turn democracy threatened by space tyrannids with mandatory military service that you can refuse at the cost of losing your voting privileges into some sort of Nazi earth.
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

Solaristics wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:35 pm
edb1815 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 pm

You are my new best friend :). Did you get the General magazine expansion for the game (Apr/May 1977)?
I think so. Plus I have most General back issues on CD. It was one of my first games following WS&IM, Panzer Leader & Panzer Blitz
Turtler
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Turtler »

CaesarCzech wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:35 pm since its based on movie version i sincerely hope that with your moral choices you dont intend to turn democracy threatened by space tyrannids with mandatory military service that you can refuse at the cost of losing your voting privileges into some sort of Nazi earth.
This. Dear GOD so much this.

Paul Verhoeven may have a slick sense of aesthetics, but his grasp of the source material and political philosophy ranges between ignorant and insulting. Dislike the Confed or Heinlein as one might like (I have my own axes to grind with both) but it helps that one's chewout of it is at least based on reality.

I can fully understand keeping Verhoeven's aesthetics, because they work and even if they didn't they are so iconic now, but the guy's plotting needs to be thrown in a fire and burnt. To death. (Like what Goebbels would have to any German reporters dumb or brave enough to risk showing the Reich's citizens a live broadcast from Normandy.)

The announcement mention of "Following orders" or "rebel" really made me uneasy, to say the least. I'm sure it can still be a swell game even if it goes with Verhoven's vision, but I don't think it would be that helpful (and frankly Slitherine and its cousins have worked with other IPs that would be much more fitting for the typical "Oppressive Survival" vs. "Dangerous Freedom" dilemma, like 40K) and would hurt the ability for the game to be all it could be. Besides, there are plenty of other material to be had for moral dilemmas, such as limited resource allocation, civilian defense v. willing he war.. dealing with legal dissident groups like anti-militarists (such as Rico's Dad), ungrateful businesspeople (...Ditto), dissident filmmakers (*cough*), secessionist Mormons, and alien races that are not best buddies with humanity but can at least not inherently, biologically hostile to it (like the Skinnies) in addition to Fed jagarsery, cloak and dagger nonsense, and civilian accountability.

BTW Devs. Have you heard of the upcoming Steam game, "Burden of Command"? It looks like that might be useful fodder for it.

In any case, I might be a bit grumpy. I have no doubt that it'll be a well crafted game.

(Small caveat to Czech though: the military service isn't "mandatory" in any sense of the word, nor is it exclusively military. It is completely voluntary- and indeed they go to great effort trying to get people to wash out- but necessary to add legislative rights to one's other human rights).

PS: Granted, I have a somewhat larger chip on my shoulder than most, because for some damn reason I've spent a while considering about what an actual Fascist movement growing out of the Federation would look like, basically starting from the Federation's viewpoint and then adding actual Fascism, with a fair dose of classical references from Sparta and Imperial Rome.

TL:DR, It'd be a clandestine, anti-government terrorist group that calls itself "The Spartiates" or "The Similars." They argue that the Federation's existing constitution is doomed and likely to doom humanity because of inherent contradictions (arguing that office-holding should be limited to those who will put the common good over individual interests without following the "necessary corollary" that the state should be organized to maximize "The Greater Good (TM) and leaving it unable to fight an existential total war in an uncaring universe or to "discipline" dissident groups. Especially those spearheaded by wealthy, protected civilians who do not have "enough" responsibility imposed on them, who they fear could partner with "corrupt" citizens to form special interest groups for mutual advancement at the expense of the whole.)

So their "solution" is to coup the government, abolish the constitution and all rights, and turn "civilians" to a state something like Helots giving their resources and labor to a totalitarian state directed by full-time revolutionaries and upheld by a caste of warrior-citizens. Then have the transformed human state use its resources to wage open-ended total war to crush any "potential" threat to humanity's primacy in the stars.

Not that they're terribly close to that goal yet, instead honeycombing Federation society as sleeper agents trying to keep their cover and slowly prepare the stage for the coup without undermining humanity's outside front, only occasionally going in shooting when exposed or if the rewards are too great (and thus giving us a bunch of humanoid, evil-player-faction-standin enemies like the Skinnies, to break up bug-bashing).
CaesarCzech

Post by CaesarCzech »

Turtler wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:02 am

Snip
Honestly its one thing to portray terran command as sacrifacing 1Milion to save 2 Milion and doing it without regret just running the numbers game and portraying them as some evil incompetent monsters , OH AND BTW DID YOU KNOW THEY ARE EVIL ?!!!!. I wont mind if they make Terran Command ruthless but have it make sense for gods sake instead of having them be pointlesly ruthless.
Turtler

Post by Turtler »

CaesarCzech wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:40 am
Honestly its one thing to portray terran command as sacrifacing 1Milion to save 2 Milion and doing it without regret just running the numbers game and portraying them as some evil incompetent monsters , OH AND BTW DID YOU KNOW THEY ARE EVIL ?!!!!. I wont mind if they make Terran Command ruthless but have it make sense for gods sake instead of having them be pointlesly ruthless.

Agreed, which is one of my main caveats with Verhoeven's hatchet job and screams of "FASCIST!" Heck, even when I set about trying to create *Actual Fascists* for the setting (the aforementioned "Similars") I wanted to write them convincingly and with nuance. I still think they're evil monsters (totalitarian, genocidal nutjobs is like that) and I also think they're wrong. I don't agree with them. BUT I wanted to portray them as something people could understand why people might agree with them. And that they make at least some interesting or good points (like about the structure of society or problems fighting in a pity-less galaxy).

I mean, to be fair one or two evil/incompetent/cartoonishly evil and incompetent figures in Terran Command in it could work well (as long as there's some explanation for how they got to where they were). And even more elsewhere. After all there's no reason why Terran Command would be all of one mind or one morality. But it shouldn't be the dominant thing. The Feds have issues but they don't have THAT many issues. And again, the idea that they're Fascist totalitarians (...who let uncensored broadcasts from the front happen, defend civilian rights, and so on) needs to die.

Or at the *absolute minimum*, if they are totalitarians, at least pay some respect to the lore by indicating that this probably wasn't always the case, so drop some hints about why it happened/how we got here from the original.
Spotlight22
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Spotlight22 »

Sounds great.
CaesarCzech

Post by CaesarCzech »

Turtler wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:10 am
CaesarCzech wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:40 am

Agreed, which is one of my main caveats with Verhoeven's hatchet job and screams of "FASCIST!" Heck, even when I set about trying to create *Actual Fascists* for the setting (the aforementioned "Similars") I wanted to write them convincingly and with nuance. I still think they're evil monsters (totalitarian, genocidal nutjobs is like that) and I also think they're wrong. I don't agree with them. BUT I wanted to portray them as something people could understand why people might agree with them. And that they make at least some interesting or good points (like about the structure of society or problems fighting in a pity-less galaxy).

I mean, to be fair one or two evil/incompetent/cartoonishly evil and incompetent figures in Terran Command in it could work well (as long as there's some explanation for how they got to where they were). And even more elsewhere. After all there's no reason why Terran Command would be all of one mind or one morality. But it shouldn't be the dominant thing. The Feds have issues but they don't have THAT many issues. And again, the idea that they're Fascist totalitarians (...who let uncensored broadcasts from the front happen, defend civilian rights, and so on) needs to die.

Or at the *absolute minimum*, if they are totalitarians, at least pay some respect to the lore by indicating that this probably wasn't always the case, so drop some hints about why it happened/how we got here from the original.
I mean if they actively want to show the Nasty side there is way. We are fighting over planet, So if they are going the fucked up route, make it clear that its the Planet Command that is fucked not whole federation, Basically One Command is shitty,incompetent and corrupt, that way it still makes sense without making whole Federation evil.
Ginsu11

Post by Ginsu11 »

Verhoeven's statements that the film questions US foreign policy, and inspiration from the Cuban Missile Crisis are not usually brought up in discussion but I find those to be the most clear indications of what he was trying to depict with the Federation.

War inevitably makes us act like fascists, which was supposed to mean we cross lines of ethics, morality etc to achieve victory, despite the best intentions.

Look at this way
The Federation didn't police or prevent colonists entering the quranteen zone.
A war was triggered with the bugs who are ignorant about how we operate.
The Feds decide to go to war against them despite the absurdity of how far away the bugs are. (The bugs are no threat as long as we keep clear from their zone.)
After a failed attempt at commiting genocide, the bugs actually launch counter attacks against other colonies, and we enter a literal war of survival, with the Feds regarding MI as expendable asserts in what is seen as a war or attrition.

Further stimulating this is the prooaganda. Many people see no issue as it's honest. But the horrific thing here is that what the Feds promote is absurd and yet they think its correct behaviour.

- targeting children for federal service
- schools encouraging kids to be xenophobic
- Live executions streamed during family times

Yes it's accurate, they do all of the above but should they?
Should they even have gone to war?

Yes the Fed even tolerate questions like those, but remember in a society where you are required to enlist to vote, any political enemies or even negative public opinion can be removed by sending troopers to die. No troopers, no votes.

So now you've got a government with a strong ideology, self assured it's just in it's behaviour and locked in a war for survival at any cost.

The way this fits in with the gameplay of compliance is that you will be given orders that are not tactically sound, but if you do not comply the Federation will not step in to remove you either, they would just limit their support. They are not Nazi's, never were. They are just utterly wrong and completely convinced otherwise.
Fire1137
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Fire1137 »

I am soo excited to see this game being produced. I showed my kids the trailer for this game and then had to go watch the first movie with them! I know people prefer the comic realm however I was happy to see them base this off the first movie! #1 had an epic cast. As for this game I hope they capture being able to upgrade officers (Your it till your dead or I find someone better) and permadeath playing a real part. Lots of Heroes died... I havnt seen a ton of material on the concept yet, but from what I see... I love it!!
esfera57

Post by esfera57 »

I really like it
NoCaAbY

Post by NoCaAbY »

Hi!
I'm a big fan of the Starship trooper universe, and when I found out about the upcoming game, I was thrilled. But the question arose - why in the strategy for such a universe will only be a single game? Is it caused by some mechanics? I think fans and just players will be happy to at least co-op mode, not to mention playing for bugs. So, what is the reason for this decision?
Immelmann_slith

Post by Immelmann_slith »

why on earth did the developers NOT READ THE BOOK!! instead they follow that god awful movie!!! they do not even come close to the book! that is NOT MI!!! that is a bunch of retards, running around in leather harnesses!!

damn! let me get my copy, i got one in my library.........................................ok, mobile infantry..........

"a suit isn't a space suit - although it can serve as one. a suit is not a space ship - but it can fly, a little. suited up, you look like a big, steel gorilla, armed with gorilla sized weapons. the suit is considerably stronger than a gorilla. if a mobile infantry man were to swap hugs with a gorilla, the gorilla would be dead, crushed to death."

does that sound like the MI we see in the movies, or this game? nope! compared to the book, the movie guys are just a bunch of panty wastes.

mobile infantry landing in shuttle craft???????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT...............THE.................GHUQ? SERIOUSLY? YOU CAN NOT EVEN DO THAT CORRECTLY!! ARRRRGH!!! to the bible we go people.......

"Usually, a Cap trooper of the Mobile Infantry in platoons would drop from individual capsules launched from troop transports in orbit. after being ejected from their transport's launching tubes. MI troopers dropped to the surface by breaking their descent through a system of expendable heat shields and drogue parachutes. nearing the surface, their suit rockets fired to reduce speed for the final drop into the combat zone."

oh! and lets not forget, THEY NEVER EVEN MENTION THE SKINNIES!!! LETS REFER TO THE BOOK AGAIN, SHALL WE?......

"humanoid. 8 - 9 feet tall. much skinnier than we are, with a much higher body temperature. they do not wear any clothes and stand out in a pair of snooper like a neon sign."

i did manage to capture a picture of one during our the battle of skinny-5 on 9 / 7 / 2157. https://ibb.co/sJNjVBF

i will admit, they do an excellent job with the arachnids. again, to the book.......

"the bugs are not like us. the pseudo-arachnids are not even like spiders. they are anthropoids that happen to look like some madman's concept of a giant, intelligent spider, but their organization, psychology and economy are more like that of ants or termites: they are communal entities, the ultimate dictatorship of the hive. do not make the mistake of thinking they act purely from instinct. their actions are as intelligent as ours. (stupid races don't build spaceships!) and are much better coordinated. it takes a year to train a private to fight and to mesh his fighting with his mates. a bug warrior is HATCHED, able to do this."

all in all, the movies are truly an abomination to such a fine piece of work by robert heinlein. he is probably grumbling from his grave right now! i hate the movies, but love the book, so chances are, i will not be purchasing this game, as it follows the movies, NOT the book.

to truly play the M.I. or the skinnies, or the arachnids, go purchase avalon hills starship troopers..........https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/670 ... p-troopers

you see those MI on the box cover? that is what the mobile infantry look like, NOT those toads in the movies.

"we are the boys who go to a particular place, at H-hour, occupy a designated terrain, stand on it, dig the enemy out of their holes, force them then and there to surrender or die. we're the bloody infantry, the doughboy, the duckfoot, the foot soldier who goes where the enemy is and takes him on in person."

-robert heinlein "starship troopers" RIP 'ol buddy!!
GuernseyMan

Post by GuernseyMan »

Why are people so hung-up about the book vs the film. It's quite clearly a game based on a film of the same name. The developers chose to use the film as their basis rather than the book which is entirely their call. They probably did read the book and then discounted much of it as not being what they wanted to do with this game.

I've read the book and watched the first film a number of times and enjoyed both, in different ways.

Personally, the film version of Starship Troopers has been crying out for an RTS for years and looks as though that's finally come about. The game will either succeed or fail based on how good it is, not on it's adherence to Startship Trooper's canon (book or film).
JonDead

Post by JonDead »

Latest news??? Coming in 2020?

Return to “Starship Troopers - Terran Command”