Campaign Ideas?

Player written historical scenarios for the Field of Glory gaming system.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators

mbsparta
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Campaign Ideas?

Post by mbsparta »

We are wanting to try some sort of campaign centered around the Late Roman Republic and some of her enemies. Does anyone have any ideas for campaing with FoG and or tried anything from this time period?

Mike B
ShrubMiK
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ShrubMiK »

You could use the simple campaign rules in DBA, a few rule changes required to cover how BGs are lost and re-recruited, but in principle I don't think it would be too hard because the rules assume 12 elements in a DBA army and replacing those elements one-for-one with BGs (with larger BGs of weaker troops) would probably give some quite reasonable armies.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

You could just convert Attrition point losses to say 25 Army points and run the DBA system.

Don't worry about whether its LF or KN attrition losses. The object is not accounting. And even showing up with 750 points to an 800 point foe is a big enough disadvantage.
paulburton
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by paulburton »

I have run a couple mini-campaigns in DBA over this period. The most successful pitted Pompey, Lucullus and Crassus against Sertorius, Spartacus and Armenia. It is a good period with a mix of foreign and Civil wars (often simultaneous) and one I keep going back to.
SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by SirGarnet »

Unless the goal is to have people play particular powers, I like adapting the 2 Hour Wargames simple campaign rules ideas that basically work as a dice driven war and battle generator and randomize force composition somewhat so you don't always get the ideal army or exactly equal points and as many battles as needed are generated for those who show up, and thus the story moves along. The players thus represent captains, not kings, and no one is necessarily stuck with nya particular army through the campaign.

There are also specifically Rome vs. Others multiplayer campaigns out there where everyone can play both a Roman faction and a non-Roman faction opposing other players. It's too easy to get complicated and bogged down.
mbsparta

Post by mbsparta »

For lack of a better plan, we started a narrative campaign, often used in GW games. In this case we have two Roman powers-to-be; Sulla and Marius (and his son). Sulla is currently fighting a campaign against the Pontics, while Germans and Gauls are fighting it out up north. Marius is currently recruiting to challange Sulla's leadership of Rome. Sulla has beaten the Pontics once, while the Germans have gotten the upper hand on the Gauls. I guess we'll just see where things take us. Thanks for the feedback. We may try one of the suggestions next time.

Mike B
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I ran a campaign many years ago based on the situation in Asia Minor just prior to the 1st Mithridatic War. This allows for local manoeuvring between the various minor kingdoms and Roman intervention, initially on a low key scale - unless Mithridates runs amok, requiring a full scale response.

If you have access to the Slingshot archive CD, I wrote an article on the campaign approx 30 years ago.

I think someone else wrote a more recent article about a similar scenario.
deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

Christopher Anders on the Gulf Coast has produced a FoG-specific set of campaign rules that do exactly what you are seeking. I haven't played them, but they look really well thought out and failry well playtested. It covers the eight big states in Europe in 285 BC and are called Scepter of Blood. Well worth taking a look at. I can't attach them, but you can get them off the Berthier's Deck forum here:

http://berthiersdesk.webs.com/dispatche ... ID=1467794

Hope that helps,

Deeter
berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by berthier »

To be honest with you, my 285 BC Campaign (which was itself derived from a DBA campaign called 218 BC, I think, that I found online years ago) turned out to be more complicated than the players were ready for. The "A Piece of the Empire" turned out to be a lot more fun and simple but still had some problems. I might could tweak 285 into something easier to run if you give me some more detailed guidelines of what you are looking for in the campaign.

Christopher Anders
SirGarnet

Post by SirGarnet »

Campaign is a pretty broad term, covering everything from context-based battle generators for players who show up on a game day to play to full-fledged campaigns with players in fixed roles representing powers or leaders. Battle generators don't require a gamemaster, a full campaign does and involves work and participation all round, and often bog down for lack of either of these or sheer complexity. Unless players can add allies, rotate, or create alliances for balance, I suggest success be evidenced in victory or prestige points or sesterces etc. providing perhaps depth of overall resources but not more than a small strength differential on the battle field (unless you allow battles where the burden of attack and a time limit are upon one side).

My suggestion is to start with a battle generator and add to or convert it if participation is good.

vakarr

Post by vakarr »

Slingshot November 2009 (the current issue) has a set of FoG campaign rules that include Republican Romans

Cheers,

Chris
Andy1972

Post by Andy1972 »

I ran a one day DBA campaign about a month ago here at the house with six players.. The year was 1230AD Eastern Europe.. Poles, Hungarians, Germans, Serbs, Teutonics and the Epirot Byzantine.. It was quite balanced... I think it would make a good basis for a FOG one also.. To keep the games quick you could keep the armies at 650-700 pts.
Po-tae-toes! Mash 'em up and put 'em in a stew!
Mehrunes
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Mehrunes »

vakarr wrote:Slingshot November 2009 (the current issue) has a set of FoG campaign rules that include Republican Romans

Cheers,

Chris
As the SoA homepage is down, where can one get this?
klayeckles
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by klayeckles »

We have all but wrapped up an outstanding campaign that included 6 players and a referee. the web site is as follows: http://tcfog.wikidot.com/start

you started with an army, and as you expanded your empire you gained income which translated into additional armies/transport fleets. once the empires started bumping iinto each other, the fun really kicked in...we'd allow about 2 weeks per turn so folks could get their battles resolved...but if things got done early then the campaign progressed. we got thru turn 13 in about 4 months...i fought about 6 battles..sometimes with a fresh 800pt army, sometimes with one that had taken some attrition or losses...i had 3 armies in play.

the web site has all the rules, maps, and discussion for your digestion. Scot Gore was the designer.
http://tcfog.wikidot.com/start
klayeckles

Re: Campaign Ideas?

Post by klayeckles »

Folks...i'm currently running a 6 player campaign that is getting some great gaming results and player reviews. in this campaign each player picks two different army lists of the anceint period that they'd like to play. the objective is to win 2 consecutive battles in 2 different locations. So a player moves into one of the battle areas (an ancient wonder site like "hanging gardens, pyramids etc), where another player will also enter. so the movement is abstract and largely only to determine which player you will fight. Instead the system is designed around a strategic chit system whereby each player prepares for a campaign season by choosing any 3 of 20 different strategic chits to bring along. these chits add flavor to the army, weaken or confuse the enemy, alter the battlefield, or give a limmited special power to a unit or two.

the whole purpose is to add some minor flavor to a battle without overpowewring the game system. so for instance Beloved General Chit gives the army 2 additional break points. Propaganda drops the enemy's break point levle by 2. Vetrans Forward raises the quality of a unit or two at the expense of two others. Poison lowers the capability of an enemby general. Local Knowledge allows some additional powers in the set up, Scouting gives some initiative bonus, Fanatical Hero increases the charge distance of a unit or two. and so on...the result is each army gets a few little benefits, making for more strategy, more fog of war, and more fun and variety. Then the system limits the player's ability to reuse the same chits, so as to make every battle different. result...FUN! more info? send me a message.

Return to “Historical Scenarios”