Ilipa 206 BC (Carthage vs Rome)

Player written historical scenarios for the Field of Glory gaming system.

Moderators: terrys, philqw78, rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Ilipa 206 BC (Carthage vs Rome)

Post by rbodleyscott »

Scenario written and submitted by Flamberge

My first (and quick) attempt at a historical Scenario.

The Battle of Ilipa 206 BC
During this battle Scipio Africanus attacked the Armies of Hasdrubal and Mago Barca. The result of this battle pretty much was the end of Carthage's presence in Spain.

Using the army lists from Rise of Rome and using the various estimates of troops, troop types, and my desire to make the game around 800 points and roughly even on points (though Carthage does have an advantage) I came up with the following Lists:

Rome

Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus (C in C) IC
Marcus Junius Silanus TC
Lucius Marcius TC

Roman Cavalry X4
Roman Cavalry X4

Velites (protected average) X4
Hastati (armored superior) X4
Principe (armored superior) X4
Triarii (armored elite) X2

Velites (protected average) X4
Hastati (armored superior) X4
Principe (armored superior) X4
Triarii (armored elite) X2

Spanish Allies (Iberians)
TC (C in C)
Scutarii X8
Scutarii X8
Scutarii X8
Caetrati X8

Fortified Camp

Total 823 points

Carthaginians

Hasdrubal (C in C) TC
Mago Barca TC

Spanish Cavalry (Protected) X4
Spanish Cavalry (Protected) X4
Numidian Light Horse X6
Elephants X2
Elephants X2
Numidian/Spanish Javelinmen X8
Poeni Foot X8
African Spear X6
African Spear X6
African Spear X6

Spanish Allies (Iberians) group 1
TC
Scutarii X8
Scutarii X8
Caetrati X8

Spanish Allies (Iberians) group 2
TC
Scutarii X8
Scutarii X8
Caetrati X8

Fortified Camp

Total 903 points

Terrain: is an open field except for a hill placed at the center of the rear table edge on both sides of the table. Both armies must place their camps on their respective hills.

Special Rules: The Carthaginians must place their entire army on the table before the Romans place their troops. The Carthaginian foot must be placed in the center of the line. The Carthaginians must place a Spanish Allied Contingent on each flank but they may plave their cavalry, LH, and Elephants wherever they choose. No flank marches are allowed.
As an option to allow the Carthaginian player more flexibility you could eliminate restrictions on where he must place his troops but he still must place his entire army befor the Roman player has to place his troops.

My reasoning behind forcing the Carthaginians to place their army first is because of the way troops were deployed during this era and how battles were fought. Prior to the actual battle for several days the Carthaginians lined up their troops on the plain where the battle was to be fought and the Romans responded in kind. After staring at each other all day they returned to their respective camps and repeated the process for days. After many days of seeing how the Carthaginians were placing their troops Scipio decided to reorder how he was going to line up his troops. He then ordered his men to rise early, eat, and prepare for battle. He then ordered his light troops and cavalry to attack the Carthaginian pickets in the morning and had his army line up on the field. The Carthaginians responded quickly and after repelling the Roman lights, were ordered to follow the Romans onto the field of battle (probably without a chance to eat breakfast). As the Romans were an esitimated mile away and due to all the dust that would have been kicked up it is ulikely that Hasdrubal would have been able to tell the Romans had changed their deployment and it is equally unlikely that Hasdrubal could have changed how he deployed his battle line even if he wished to. Because of the lengthy and complicated way troops were marched out onto the field and in a strict sequence it would have been very difficult for Hasdrubal to rearrange the lines and it is also unlikely Hasrubal would have understood what advantage the Romans would have anyway.

I would appreciate any suggestions/comments or if you play the scenario how well or badly it went.

--------------------------------------------

After seeing the scenario guidelines posted by Millsy I see a few things I left out.

Date: 206 B.C.
Historical
Complexity: Simple
Size: slightly above average # of troops/points.
FOG supplement needed: Rise of Rome
Objectives: the goal of both forces is simply to smash the enemy. In other words the victory conditions are the same for a "standard" game

Historical overview: There were three Punic armies in Spain when Scipio took over command in Spain. One led by Hasdrubal Gisco, another by Hasdrubal Barca, and the last by Mago Barca. Any one of which was the equal of the Roman army in Spain. After a brilliant capture of New Carhage by Scipio he was able to gain tremendous amounts of material as well as gaining the support of thousands of Spanish troops. In 208 B.C. he was able to defeat the army of Hasdrubal Barca (its unclear wether the battle resulted in a marginal or great victory but we do know Scipio outmanuever his enemy). After that battle Hasdrubal Barca led his army into Italy in attempt to help his brother Hannibal (he failed to reach him but that is another story). This left only two Punic armies in Spain, tipping the balance of power towards Rome. Scipio fought several minor victories in Spain in an attempt to draw Hasdrubal Gisco into a piched battle but failed. In 206 BC Hasdrubal Gisco became more confident when he linked up with the army of Mago Barca. Scipio marched his army near the enemy outside Ilipa. Several minor skirmishes occured between elements of the two armies before the real battle was to take place. The Carthaginian force was appoximately 70,000 (though Livy puts it at 50,000) and the Roman force was about 45,000, only about half of which was his experienced legions and alae. The scenario given is a reconstruction of the main battle that took place between the armies of Scipio Africanus and Hasdrubal Gisco.
gilnocky
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by gilnocky »

I like the Ilipa scenario and hope to play it in the next few weeks. I'll email the results after we do the scenario. I have one observation though; the terrain is described as "open field". As this means something very specific in FOG I think the correct terrain would be simply "open". A review of my references describe the battlefield as an open "plain" and "suitable to an army of this type". Xanthippus taught the Carthaginians to use their armies in open ground so that their cavalry and elephants had ample room to maneuver. An open field would not allow Scipio to maneuver his legions into flanking positions and it would put the Roman heavy foot at a disadvantage against the spanish medium infantry Scutarii. Let me know what you think.
Chris
flameberge
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by flameberge »

gilnocky wrote:I like the Ilipa scenario and hope to play it in the next few weeks. I'll email the results after we do the scenario. I have one observation though; the terrain is described as "open field". As this means something very specific in FOG I think the correct terrain would be simply "open". A review of my references describe the battlefield as an open "plain" and "suitable to an army of this type". Xanthippus taught the Carthaginians to use their armies in open ground so that their cavalry and elephants had ample room to maneuver. An open field would not allow Scipio to maneuver his legions into flanking positions and it would put the Roman heavy foot at a disadvantage against the spanish medium infantry Scutarii. Let me know what you think.
Chris
It never even occurred to me that when I wrote "open field" that there were game connotations to that. Poor description on my part. Your correct that "open" would be more correct.

Return to “Historical Scenarios”