Armour for hirdsmen?

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Armour for hirdsmen?

Post by stockwellpete »

Is there any chance of having "some armour" added for Anglo-Saxon hirdsmen via this beta please, Richard? It has been discussed elsewhere and you seem to be open to that change. Just to close the gap a bit between protected hirdsmen and armoured huscarls.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Armour for hirdsmen?

Post by rbodleyscott »

Yes, I suppose so. The only thing that has stopped me so far is that I know for certain that certain people (present company excepted) will then demand that they have new models showing armour! That isn't going to happen.
Richard Bodley Scott

pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by pompeytheflatulent »

Why not just have half huscarls and half hirdsmen in the relevant lists during the transition period?
melm
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by melm »

pompeytheflatulent wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:24 pm Why not just have half huscarls and half hirdsmen in the relevant lists during the transition period?
Sounds good. And then paint their tunic with same colour. Job done.
Meditans ex luce mundi
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pompeytheflatulent wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:24 pm Why not just have half huscarls and half hirdsmen in the relevant lists during the transition period?
Because they are unlikely to have had any wholly armoured units at all.
Richard Bodley Scott

Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

Always surprised to see how cosmetics matter to some. FoG miniatures are so small! :-)

If I were you, I’d just change the figures in squad.csv and mention in the patch notes that the armours are being cleaned and repaired at the blacksmith's or that the Anglo-Saxon hirdsmen are waiting for a trade agreement with Vercingetorix to buy them in Gaul...
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:20 am
Because they are unlikely to have had any wholly armoured units at all.
Yes. I suppose the greatest concentrations of fully armoured hirdsmen would be in the "royal" Saxon armies, but even then you are talking about a relatively small numbers of soldiers.
melm

Post by melm »

Athos1660 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:22 am Always surprised to see how cosmetics matter to some. FoG miniatures are so small! :-)

If I were you, I’d just change the figures in squad.csv and mention in the patch notes that the armours are being cleaned and repaired at the blacksmith's or that the Anglo-Saxon hirdsmen are waiting for a trade agreement with Vercingetorix to buy them in Gaul...
We can take a look at the models in Warhammer 40k: Sanctus Reach, another game published by Slitherine. And same engine as FOGII. So FOGII has the potential to have breathtaking miniatures like its peers.

If whole armoured soldiers is anachronistic, then we'd better wait.
Meditans ex luce mundi
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

melm wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:03 pm We can take a look at the models in Warhammer 40k: Sanctus Reach, another game published by Slitherine. And same engine as FOGII. So FOGII has the potential to have breathtaking miniatures like its peers.

If whole armoured soldiers is anachronistic, then we'd better wait.
We each have our own priorities. :-)
So do the devs. And it is a small team.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

There is no need for a separate model. Just make all hirdsmen units have "some armour" and that covers all eventualities very simply.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

stockwellpete wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:34 pm There is no need for a separate model. Just make all hirdsmen units have "some armour" and that covers all eventualities very simply.
It is done for the next update.
Richard Bodley Scott

pompeytheflatulent

Post by pompeytheflatulent »

Athos1660 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:22 am Always surprised to see how cosmetics matter to some. FoG miniatures are so small! :-)

No, I just really wanted to avoid another unit like the well-equiped shieldwall from the Anglo-Danish list: looks like huscarls, walks like huscarl, quacks like huscarls. But closer in price and capabilities to regular old shieldwalls. Really confusing when playing.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

pompeytheflatulent wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:29 pm No, I just really wanted to avoid another unit like the well-equiped shieldwall from the Anglo-Danish list: looks like huscarls, walks like huscarl, quacks like huscarls. But closer in price and capabilities to regular old shieldwalls. Really confusing when playing.
Ok :-)

(btw my comment was meant to be just a light-hearted reply to rbodleyscott's first post. No harm intended.)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:22 pm
stockwellpete wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:34 pm There is no need for a separate model. Just make all hirdsmen units have "some armour" and that covers all eventualities very simply.
It is done for the next update.
Cheers Richard. :D
toska
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by toska »

I feel that late veteran hoplites also need some armor
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

toska wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:46 pm I feel that late veteran hoplites also need some armor
Hoplite armour generally became lighter towards the end of the weapon system's lifespan though.

Return to “Field of Glory II - 1.5.26 Open Beta”