Adding Scenarios to Main Campaigns

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Stormchaser
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Adding Scenarios to Main Campaigns

Post by Stormchaser » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:25 pm

I was wondering is was possible to modify the Axis Operations Campaigns, specifically to add new branches and missions to them.

I saw a comment in another thread about how the 1939 Axis Operations Campaign might have had a better initial reaction if the players were given the choice to do the Saar Offensive Scenarios or go to an extended set of Poland Missions. Now, there's no use crying over spilled milk now, and trying to ask for 4-5 more maps to be added to it after the fact would just waist everyone's time as I'm sure the developer's are focused on future updates. But if it was possible for modders to make that branching path (ideally without breaking the Commendations, Core Import/Export, and other Axis Operations features.) and add it in, well, hopefully everyone wins?

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: Adding Scenarios to Main Campaigns

Post by Kerensky » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:59 pm

It's as easy as a few text adjustments to the campaign's script.lua file.

Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:11 pm

Kerensky wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:59 pm
It's as easy as a few text adjustments to the campaign's script.lua file.
Really?
Well then.
I guess I've got a new project to work on in my spare time.

dalfrede
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by dalfrede » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:35 am

Yes it is very easy.
It came up in the Beta. Some one wanted to start '39 with his '45 army.
I edited the campaign path to go from Kursk[43] to Libya[41].

Monty didn't take it very well.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:56 am

Relinking scenarios is done outside the editor, but it's still a very straightforward and simple text editing task.

The real work is putting the content together. :P

I don't think it will be a very satisfying experience to play the main game's few Poland battles as a branch alternate to the Saar Offensive content.

Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:37 pm

Kerensky wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:56 am
Relinking scenarios is done outside the editor, but it's still a very straightforward and simple text editing task.

The real work is putting the content together. :P

I don't think it will be a very satisfying experience to play the main game's few Poland battles as a branch alternate to the Saar Offensive content.
Well, the idea would be to add in 4 new Polish scenarios (Current tentative plan is Tuchola Forest, Bydgoszcz, Danzig/Gdynia, and Lodz), plus ideally a 5th Bonus Scenario (Not entirely sure yet what to do for that one...). These missions would comprise an alternate path which you can choose to start after Czechoslovakia and end right before Bzura, instead of the Saar Offensive missions.

Have to make sure I add equivalent Bonus Objectives and Commendations, but at least Kerscher and Dir only really probably need a few small tweaks to their respective events and they should still fit this path. The real issue is the Somua Gift Unit, which I see 2 options for:
1. Just reflavor the event to something similar to the something more like the KV-2 event, AKA instead of using equipment you captured yourself, you pull some strings to have some shipped to you in the aftermath of the Saar Offensive.
2. Mod in a 10TP or 14TP prototype as an alternative Gift Unit for going this route instead. On one hand, I personally somewhat prefer this option, if only because obscure equipment is fun equipment imo; but on the other hand that's extra work on an already fairly big project, especially since I'd have to make sure it can eventually be used in the 1940 and later Axis Operations. Plus, maybe I could then make the optional mission a raid on where you get reports that the Polish are destroying their prototype equipment and blueprints to prevent capture (As is the case that likely happened to the 14TP prototype historically), maybe have some PZL.46 Sum as the cache reward for it if I really want to add another new unit for some reason.

Cache rewards I'm leaning towards some more of the 7TPdws (Maybe the other 7TP type as well at the start at least, so Retrograde players have an early tank option with identical stats to the Pz38), maybe some more of the Polish Recon units, and one of the best equipment I could find in the Polish arsenal: the 155mm wz.17 (And hey! Panzer Corps 1 Warsaw callback, eh?). Probably give more equipment over all per cache, to make up for the lesser quality compared to the Char B1s you can get in the Saar path.

Anyway, that's my ideas and plans at the very least. Initial experimentation with the editor has pretty clearly shown that I probably won't even have a basic, standalone test run anytime soon unfortunately...

Tassadar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Tassadar » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:02 pm

Stormchaser wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:37 pm
Unit, which I see 2 options for:
1. Just reflavor the event to something similar to the something more like the KV-2 event, AKA instead of using equipment you captured yourself, you pull some strings to have some shipped to you in the aftermath of the Saar Offensive.
2. Mod in a 10TP or 14TP prototype as an alternative Gift Unit for going this route instead. On one hand, I personally somewhat prefer this option, if only because obscure equipment is fun equipment imo; but on the other hand that's extra work on an already fairly big project, especially since I'd have to make sure it can eventually be used in the 1940 and later Axis Operations. Plus, maybe I could then make the optional mission a raid on where you get reports that the Polish are destroying their prototype equipment and blueprints to prevent capture (As is the case that likely happened to the 14TP prototype historically), maybe have some PZL.46 Sum as the cache reward for it if I really want to add another new unit for some reason.
4TP recon tank could also be an interesting award. We only get wheeled recons for quite a long time (can't recall around when the Panzer IIF appears in the game, but that's only around 1941 I think).

Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:31 pm

Tassadar wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:02 pm
Stormchaser wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:37 pm
Unit, which I see 2 options for:
4TP recon tank could also be an interesting award. We only get wheeled recons for quite a long time (can't recall around when the Panzer IIF appears in the game, but that's only around 1941 I think).
The 4TP would certainally be an interesting option, however, I think it works better as a possible cache equipment than a Gift Unit, as apparently the reason it never made it past the Prototyp stage is because the Polish Army expected it to be outdated before a proper production line could be set up.
Plus, I want whatever Gift Unit I decide on be roughly on the same level as the Somua S35 on the Saar route so players don't have to worry so much about picking the route with the best unit or having their preferred route have a clearly worse option. And I feel like it's easier to pull that off with another Tank than a Recon.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 Scenario Design”