Next Spartan type game

PC/MAC : Turn based Empire building in the ancient Greek World.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Vonotar
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Next Spartan type game

Post by Vonotar »

Hi,
I've had Spartan & Gates of Troy for a few years and come back to it occasionally. Were there any plans for a sequel? I thought there Slitherine were going to make Legion 2, but I've been keeping my hopes up since 16 Nov 2004 it seems!
http://www.gamershell.com/companies/sli ... 86419.html
Anyway - glad Slitherine is alive and making games.
J
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

All I can say is "We're working on something" :)
anguille
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by anguille »

iainmcneil wrote:All I can say is "We're working on something" :)
You have got my attention now :shock:

When can we expect some news (spring, summer, autumn 2011)?

Cheers
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hopefully have some news early next year.
scarfacetarraff
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by scarfacetarraff »

Certainly would go great on the iPad and iPhone. Maybe just bring Spartan over to the Apple devices. ;)
"Hasta la victoria siempre!"
Legion (Mac/iPad), Spartan (Mac), GoT (Mac), Legion Arena (Mac), CEaW (Mac/DS), CNaW (Mac), HGE: Rome (DS), Egypt: EaE (iPad), FoG (Mac), Battle Academy (Mac/iPad), Unity of Command (Mac), CTGW (iPad)
ChrisH
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by ChrisH »

A Gates of Troy style campaign that uses Field of Glory for the battles would be perfect!
xaal70

Post by xaal70 »

.....any news ?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Nothing we can talk about yet. There is work on going but everything else is eating up time from it at the moment.
gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gollummen »

A Gates of Troy style campaign that uses Field of Glory for the battles would be perfect!
No. The battle system in Spartan, Chariots of war and Legion is beautiful and in my opinion much more "realistic" take on battles in the ancient period than Field of glory.
anguille

Post by anguille »

gollummen wrote:
No. The battle system in Spartan, Chariots of war and Legion is beautiful and in my opinion much more "realistic" take on battles in the ancient period than Field of glory.
I agree. I would have loved to see them continue after Spartan with Legion II and the same combat model (Legion Arena was the next step). Anyway, even if they use the Field of Glory engine for battle (which is a good engine but battles are longer than in the previous games), i would be very happy to have again a decent addition to 4x game set in the Antics. Another good battle engine is the one Magitech used for Takeda 3, Sango 2 etc...unfortunately, they had to stop making these games....they should have joined Matrix like Slitherine did. Iain, Any hint about your next game would be greatly appreciated....

Currentely playing: Panzer Corps and (finally) Field of Glory).

PS: I did register some games on the website but they don't show up in my Forum account? What am i doing wrong?

Cheers
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Anguille make sure you use the same username when registering as when logging in to the forum. If you made a type you migth end up with 2 accounts with serials in one and forum account in the other.
dithyrambos
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by dithyrambos »

iainmcneil wrote:All I can say is "We're working on something" :)
*Crosses fingers* Here's hoping for Legion II! I have always been a HUGE fan of your older games. Still play Legion on my laptop. Would play Chariots of War and Spartan, except they don't work on Vista (and I only recently found out about the .dll download, and at present don't have my copies with me, but shall install and play as soon as I can!) I've been waiting for 6 years for Legion II (ever since I first found out about the possibility it could happen someday). Hopefully I won't be waiting much longer! :D
"Now Dithyrambos, the Thespian captain... by trade an architect and by no means a professional soldier, had already distinguished himself with such magnificent courage throughout the day..." From Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

They do work on Vista - or is that the dll issue you mentioned?
dithyrambos

Post by dithyrambos »

iainmcneil wrote:They do work on Vista - or is that the dll issue you mentioned?
That is what I was referring to, yes. Without the .dll they won't work. And until recently, I did not know about this fix, so for a long time now it has been stuck in my head that they don't work on Vista. I am quite overjoyed that with this .dll they will work! (well, Spartan, at least. My laptop seems to really hate Chariots of War, it will freeze any time I try to even initialize the startup menu for CoW. Spartan at least installs, then just won't run. So I know with the .dll Spartan will work. I hope that would also enable Chariots to work, but if not, I will be happy to at least have Spartan again. :) )
"Now Dithyrambos, the Thespian captain... by trade an architect and by no means a professional soldier, had already distinguished himself with such magnificent courage throughout the day..." From Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Next Spartan type game

Post by bebro »

Spartan was the first game I got from Slitherine. I'd certainly appreciate a new game that goes into the same direction. IIRC my only complaint about Spartan/GoT I had was that it could be more friendly to modding, but the game itself was superb.
anguille

Post by anguille »

Anything new on this?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We were working on a Legion II project in the Spartan engine but the team hit a road block so its a bit stuck. We have the art but nobody to piece it all together in to a game setting up the data, doing the research etc.
malthaussen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by malthaussen »

I'd be happy with the straightforward Spartan/Troy engine and a few customization options:

1) A random map generator. This would be so cool. I've been playing around a little with the modding tools, so I can see a random map generator would be a non-trivial task, but the only bad thing about this game is the limited number of worlds to conquer.:) Failing that, it would be neat to have more maps, including places like East Asia, Central America, and whatnot. Ahistorical, yeah, but so what?

2) Customization options: things like changing the name of a city, of your people, units, etc... naming your own generals, maybe even having a means to select from different user-customizable pix for them; a way to either learn how to build the units of other force mixes, or create your own force mix. Most of these would amount to ways to alter the various files from within the game.

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."
anguille

Post by anguille »

any news on this?
Vonotar