Simple Mod Help

PC/MAC : Turn based Empire building in the ancient Greek World.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

nmcclell
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Simple Mod Help

Post by nmcclell »

I really only want to do one thing. I want to give the heavy cavalry unit, Kinsmen, to the Aeolian Ethnicity. I have created Spartan/Mod/AeolianMod thus far but am unsure where to go from here.

Thanks
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Simple Mod Help

Post by Horseman »

Find the squads text file and open with a text editor (Notepad works fine for me)

Then scroll to the unit you wish to add (Kinsmen in this case) amongst the unit info you should see a section were it lists who can make the unit "made by" followed by the name of the culture. Simply change one of the lines that says "// NO" to read "MadeBy GreekCavalry"

Note I think Aeolian is Greek cavalry......Ionian is Greek Naval.....Dorian is just Greek but you may need to check this

Next step in the same place check to see what level building is needed to construct Kinsmen, IIRC they are a top level heavy cavalry so you'll probably need a heavy cavalry barracks lvl 3 which no Greeks can build (only Macedonians and eastern nations) so you'll need to open up the building text file, find the required lv building (and maybe the one before it though I think Aeolians can build lvl 2 heavy cavalry barracks anyway) and in the same way as you did with the unit add them to the "made by" list

On a side note I've never bothered with a mod folder, just make sure you make a copy of any altered files and keep them some where safe and edit the files in the game folder.....but others may disagree

Hope this helps, typing from memory but if you need anymore help please ask...I still have the game installed so can always have a proper look and give slightly more detailed instructions :D
nmcclell

Post by nmcclell »

Alright, I edited the text with notepad. Where do I want to move the squads.txt and buildings.txt files.
Thank you for all the help by the way, I probably would have hosed the game data without the help haha.
nmcclell

Post by nmcclell »

So I replaced the files in my mod directory with the new ones but I never received the option to turn on the mods. I played a scenario and attempted to build the elite heavy cav barracks with the aeolian but could not.

Then I attempted to replace the txt files within the original data directory and the game couldn't function. I have it back to the default files now and it works fine. Can't get the mod to work though :(
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

If you're making a mod folder then this thread will help you better than I can

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32
Mazeppa
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Mazeppa »

Hi,

I know this was a long time ago, but I believe people viewing this thread with the same concern as the OP could really find my help here useful. I've successfully modded the dardanian such that they could train massed archers and xystophoroi units so I believe I could help your issue here.

First, you have to take a look at the squads.txt file. Now, you say you wanted the Aeolians to have the Kinsmen cavalry unit, amirite? (Nice choice). So scroll down to the Kinsmen unit and the part where it says "//No", change one of these to "MadeBy GreekCavalry" - you have to do it the exact wording like this.

Once you done this, go to the buildings.txt file and look for "HeavyCavalryBarracks3" (I think) as Kinsmen are a tertiary cavalry unit only recruitable in the elite heavy cavalry barracks. Then go to the "// No" lines and edit one of them to "MadeBy GreekCavalry".

Voila!! You've made kinsmen recruitable for the Aeolian Greeks. But don't save it in some separate MOD file.. Save it in the original data folder but just keep a back-up of the original just in case you've made the game crash because of your modding. But if you encountered a crash, you'll have to look back to those 2 files and see where you made an error. I believe there is a pattern you must follow in the "// No" lines where there is only one place where each ethnic group is represented, so if you put "MadeBy GreekCavalry" in the wrong line, chances are you may encounter that crash. Just follow the pattern you see in the .txt files.

Good luck :)
(I believe I may be wrong with the "pattern" thing - but I did exactly according to the pattern and had no crash playing pre-historic Greece with the dardanian trojans. So I assumed there might be a pattern you must follow. o.O )

Return to “Spartan & Gates of Troy”