Diplomatic issues in Gates of Troy and mercs

PC/MAC : Turn based Empire building in the ancient Greek World.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Mazeppa
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Diplomatic issues in Gates of Troy and mercs

Post by Mazeppa »

So I just bought Gates of Troy some few days ago and explored it for a while and indeed, some aspects are very different compared to Spartan. And the diplomatic system is also very different.

Once, I sent my diplomat to a neighbouring city state (achaea) - (I believe I was playing the pelasgian argives) and initially, their attitude was antagonistic (around 30%) so I spammed up gold darics and gifts of money but still.. Those f****rs didn't improve anything at all - even at a point that they were around 28%-ish. It couldn't be caused by any of their diplomats because I had none from them at all.

It was also the same thing but this time, with the epeans of elis.. But this time, they DID send a diplomatic to me and I to them. Spammed up gold darics and had no failure (like the last one) but their attitude kept decreasing. This was also the same with some of my other neighbours - I sent a diplomat over, did nothing and suddenly it went from neutral to hate. Srsly.. -.-" Sure, if that particular city didn't send a diplomat to you and you kept trying to increase its attitude and do nothing for a few turns, their attitude to you would decrease, but Jesus Christ! Not as fast as THAT! :shock:

Sooo, tell me.. How does the diplomatic system work in Gates of Troy? I'm confused as f**k... What are the factors the come into play with every group's attitude towards you? AFAIK, it's definitely not the same as Spartan..

Also, I've played around the vassalization feature - and its a pretty nice thing included in the game but in my opinion, it kinda DOES reduce the challenge of the game a little and because of using it twice, I've conquered all the cities in the pre-history campaign in just under one day in impossible difficulty. The Maeones which had under 80-something cities and the Achaeans with over 100 cities (I think) were left and was both vassalized under my thumb - and heck.. It wasn't cheap.. The achaeans cost around 8 million silver for that o.O (and before that, it was 11 or 12 million until I spammed up "redirect egyptian recruiters" , "Exploit stasis mercenaries" and "Exploit stasis army" to bring it down and conquer the rebels that resulted from that tactic) - and the Maeones cost around 4 and a half million.

So in regards to the vassalization feature, what are the factors contributing to it besides high opinion towards you, the number of cities/armies they have and the missions they gave their diplomatics on your field?

There are also other things I've spotted in GoT.. And some, I believe are little bugs. E.g. The "Amphipolis" city was named "Amphilochikon" - but that was a city just above the acarnania region belonging to the "Amphilochians".. Is that a bug of some sort? o.O

And one more thing.. How the hell do you get mercenary barracks? What ethnic group can do it?

Tl;dr
1. How does the diplomatic system work in Gates of Troy? What are the factors the come into play with every group's attitude towards you?

2. In regards to the vassalization feature, what are the factors contributing to it besides high opinion towards you, the number of cities/armies they have and the missions they gave their diplomatics on your field?

3. How the hell do you get mercenary barracks? What ethnic group can do it?

Return to “Spartan & Gates of Troy”