No protection against reload cheating in PBEM++?

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Master-of-Crab-People
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

No protection against reload cheating in PBEM++?

Post by Master-of-Crab-People » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:02 pm

I was shocked to discover that at any point during my turn I can press "Exit to Menu" and then start my turn from the beginning...

Is it how it is supposed to work? Is there any way to prevent this kind of cheating? How is it possible to hold a tournament with such a flaw in PBEM?

:(

leightwing
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: No protection against reload cheating in PBEM++?

Post by leightwing » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:01 am

I was thinking the same thing. I play with friends so it's not a big deal. In fact we have an agreement that you are allowed to "replay" ONCE due to a legitimate mis-click, AND you must do your best to duplicate your play up to that point. Generally speaking we consider mis-clicks to be orders that have been either ignored or miscommunicated, etc.

KarisFraMauro
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by KarisFraMauro » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:24 am

... Dang you may have a point. I won't say it's a super big advantage necessarily, depending on the map, but yeah it is definitely a concern.

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:46 am

We track every download and upload of a game turn and ban players that abuse the turn based nature of the games.

KarisFraMauro

Post by KarisFraMauro » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Whew, load off my mind! There have been times when I had to quit my turn halfway through because of some kind of glitch issue, but when that happens I generally just give up on the game entirely.

Brenmusik
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Brenmusik » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:30 pm

KarisFraMauro wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:33 pm
Whew, load off my mind! There have been times when I had to quit my turn halfway through because of some kind of glitch issue, but when that happens I generally just give up on the game entirely.
You are welcome to give up on my Russian Campaign :wink:

leightwing

Post by leightwing » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:20 pm

Shards wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:46 am
We track every download and upload of a game turn and ban players that abuse the turn based nature of the games.
Thank your for responding. This is good to hear. I assume you only do this with tournament games? I see no reason to do it with private "locked" games unless they somehow make a difference in some scoring/rating system that I'm not aware of.

conboy
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by conboy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:45 pm

Leightwing,
Nobody checks pickup games locked or not.
I have no idea how to catch someone at it.
I can't tell one ass whippen from another one.

conboy

Also, there's no rating system for pickup game players.
Last edited by conboy on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master-of-Crab-People

Post by Master-of-Crab-People » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:04 am

Shards wrote:
That is definitely better than nothing but it is far from a full solution. Do you have any plans to improve the system? Ideally, in case of a middle turn reload, I would expect to continue from where the reload happened.

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:37 am

Master-of-Crab-People wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:04 am
Shards wrote:
That is definitely better than nothing but it is far from a full solution. Do you have any plans to improve the system? Ideally, in case of a middle turn reload, I would expect to continue from where the reload happened.
So games, like Field of Glory 2, do have the ability to do a mid-turn save up to the server, but OOB doesn't implement that.

In general, our expectation is that you're reloading because you've crashed (as OOB turns are generally fairly short in MP, with the exception of Erik's Opuses (Opii?)). We're always working to improve our PBEM systems though. Our newer games are on PBEM v3 now whilst OOB is still on PBEM v2 for now.

Master-of-Crab-People

Post by Master-of-Crab-People » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:53 pm

Shards wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:37 am
Master-of-Crab-People wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:04 am
Shards wrote:
So games, like Field of Glory 2, do have the ability to do a mid-turn save up to the server, but OOB doesn't implement that.

In general, our expectation is that you're reloading because you've crashed (as OOB turns are generally fairly short in MP, with the exception of Erik's Opuses (Opii?)). We're always working to improve our PBEM systems though. Our newer games are on PBEM v3 now whilst OOB is still on PBEM v2 for now.
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean that if someday OOB migrates to PBEMv3, it will be capable of saving the game mid-turn?

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Multiplayer”