Suggestion - highlight grid under units with different color for both sides

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

ZygfrydDeLowe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Suggestion - highlight grid under units with different color for both sides

Post by ZygfrydDeLowe »

In some battles, especially large ones, when the lines finally meet and troops start to move past each other in flanking attempts and breakthroughs it can be quite hard to differentiate at a first glance your troops from the enemy troops.
Especially if you both have masses of infantry wearing different shades of brown. Banners don't help that much.

Could we get an option to highlight the ground beneath the units with some colour both for our and enemy units (e.g. blue and red).
I know that troops got sometimes wrongly identified in the battles in that period, but since the player has infinite time to search for his units, that renders this point moot, and this qol feature could speed things up a little.
Last edited by ZygfrydDeLowe on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Suggestion - highlit grid under units with different color for both sides

Post by rbodleyscott »

We will consider it. (As an option only, of course).
Richard Bodley Scott

ZygfrydDeLowe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ZygfrydDeLowe »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:38 am We will consider it. (As an option only, of course).
Thank you. And yes, I was thinking about it being a toggleable option, as LoS or command rage tools. So players can just use it when they're in doubt.
gribol
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by gribol »

ZygfrydDeLowe wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:46 am I was thinking about it being a toggleable option, as LoS or command rage tools. So players can just use it when they're in doubt.
Thats nice idea.
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

ZygfrydDeLowe wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:46 am
rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:38 am We will consider it. (As an option only, of course).
Thank you. And yes, I was thinking about it being a toggleable option, as LoS or command rage tools. So players can just use it when they're in doubt.
Paul told me that if you press H you will instantly get a rebel flag for the enemy forces which although unseemly is very distinctive and useful!
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
ZygfrydDeLowe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ZygfrydDeLowe »

SLancaster wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:21 pm
Paul told me that if you press H you will instantly get a rebel flag for the enemy forces which although unseemly is very distinctive and useful!
Thanks. I'm aware though of the alternative banners. But there are instances where you still have to zoom in and orbit the camera to really see who's where and I was wondering if it can "fixed" by e.g. highlighting the ground beneath the units.
pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Suggestion - highlight grid under units with different color for both sides

Post by pompeytheflatulent »

For anyone wondering, the button for alternative banners is hidden in page 2 of the options menu. I had to spend 15 minutes looking for the damn thing after a very confusing Bohemian-Polish battle.
Screen_00000001.jpg
Screen_00000001.jpg (573.95 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pompeytheflatulent wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:45 pm For anyone wondering, the button for alternative banners is hidden in page 2 of the options menu. I had to spend 15 minutes looking for the damn thing after a very confusing Bohemian-Polish battle.

Screen_00000001.jpg
Or you could just hit the H hot key. (See manual)

Obviously as there are more Options than will fit on the front page, some have to be on the second page. We tend to put new ones on the second page, otherwise we would have to move some of the familiar ones, which then might take even longer to find.
Richard Bodley Scott

FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Or, you could just make the options screen scrollable up and down like most games, so all options fit on one screen.
vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by vaalen »

I like this idea very much, and hope it will be implemented. It would really improve the flow of the game, and make it much easier to quickly figure out what is going on.
HobbesACW
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by HobbesACW »

I hope this change is made. I also find it quite hard to see the currently selected unit. A more distinctive colour for the cursor stand would help.

Cheers,
Chris
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Now I have played the game a little more I certainly often find myself squinting at the screen to see which units are mine and which are the enemy. A simple hotkey to put a highlight circle around my units would be a great help.
Lets say green with a red circle around the currently selected unit or a mod to highlight the currently selected unit more. A lot of wargamers are getting old. I'm close to 60 and my eyesight isn't what it was.
The banners don't always help and pressing 'H' doesn't always change the banners. If they are edge on they are impossible to see (I know I can move the map).
I didn't have quite this problem with Pike and Shot for some reason.

Cheers,
Chris

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”