Ruthless Romans won't start

PC, DS, Wii. Slitherine is pleased to announce that it has signed a worldwide licensing agreement to develop Horrible Histories™ games.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

ptaylor28
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Ruthless Romans won't start

Post by ptaylor28 »

Hi, I've just installed Ruthless Romans on my laptop (Windows Vista Home Premium - Service Pack 2).

When I start the game, the initial dialog box is displayed (there is nothing visible in the 'Resolution' combo box and 'English' is set in the 'Language'.)

I click on 'Start' and I receive the following error message;

TODO: <Descrizione> has stopped working.

The only option available to me is the 'Close Program' button.

Any ideas?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry you are having probelms. What are the spces of your laptop? What graphics card do you have, processor, screen resolution etc.

Do you have the latest drivers for your hardware?
ptaylor28

Post by ptaylor28 »

Thanks for the quick response. Details requested are below...

Dell Inspiron 6400
Processor : Intel Core 2 T5300 1.73GHZ
RAM : 2GB
Screen Resolution : 1280 x 800

I have an integrated graphics processor - (Intel GMA 950) with 256 MB of memory.

Regarding the drivers, I've just checked on Dell website, and yes they are the latest.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

I've passed this on to the developer and will let you know as soon as we hear back from them.
ptaylor28

Post by ptaylor28 »

Hi, any updates on this one?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We're having a little trouble getting in contact with teh developer :( They seem to be a victim of the credit crunch. We're trying to contact individuals from the company now.
ptaylor28

Post by ptaylor28 »

Any response??????
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The company has completely dissolved and we cannot contact them. We're still working on it :(
ptaylor28

Post by ptaylor28 »

It's not looking good is it?? Any response from the developers??
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

They are refusing to help I'm afraid. I've got one more thing to try but if that does not work I'm not sure what we can do other than suggest you take it back for a refund.
ptaylor28

Post by ptaylor28 »

OK - What is the one more thing you'd like me to try?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry no - we are trying to contact another developer who used to work on the project.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

I've managed to get a response but the info is not very helpful. The error just says that something has gone wrong.... could not really be any vaguer.

Have you tried the usual things such as updating your drivers for your graphics card and sound card? Laptops are a bit of a nightmare for gaming because of the on board graphics cards they use.
harryknott
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by harryknott »

Hello,

Further to the posts above from other customers, I purchased Horrible Histories Ruthless Romans and installed it on my laptop running Vista. It got as far as the page specifying screen resolution and upon clicking start, gave a message from windows saying that .exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I then read your posts on the forum regarding laptops and installed the program on my desktop running windows XP instead. Same problem.

Looks like the issue is with Slitherine's software and not with my computers, which seem to manage OK with everybody else's Christmas presents.

I also note that the Slitherine website has no obvious search facility. If you are going to provide patches in the future, I suggest you add a search feature so that we stand some chance of finding them.

Given the comments above, will you be recalling this product from retailers, as it obviously has a problem which you seem unable to resolve?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Can you provide the system specs for the machines you have tried running the game on please. Are there any other applications running at the same time?

It is never possible to guarantee that PC games will run flawlessly on every machine - there are just too many variations out there. But we will try and get you up and running if at all possible.

Cheers

Pip
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry you are having problems. There will always be conflicts with PC software. The product has been tested on numerous system and works fine on the system tested. It is never possible to test the infinite combinations of PC's out there but we do what we can. From the tensd of thousnads of units shipped only a tiny number have reported errors so these are a tiny minority so obviously there will be no recall.

In addition to Pips comments, have you installed the latest drivers for your graphics cards. Did you install Direct X when offered in in the installer?

It is likely that some other software you have installed is causing the conflict. What virus checker do you use? WHat is teh desktop resolution of the computers that have problems.
simonx38

Post by simonx38 »

My son has the same problem, program wouldn't start but reports that it has to close because some error has occurred. The computer is a eee pc 1005ha. I would appreciate any help

Cheers simonx38
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi Simon

the first thing to do is check all your drivers are up to date and your DirectX is the latest available.
William10502

Post by William10502 »

We've bought Ruthless Romans and we've tried to install it on the family PC and a laptop and we don't get beyond the 'install' screen.

Can you help us please?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Do you mean that the game won't install at all? Or are you able to run the game from a shortcut?

Cheers

Pip

Return to “HORRIBLE HISTORIES™ Ruthless Romans”