Russo German Legion

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Napoleonics.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Russo German Legion

Post by deadtorius »

I am starting up a unit of the Russo German Legion for my growing Prussian army, I am getting tired of painting blue and grey so thought I would change it up. Would you classify this unit as regular line infantry for the fall 1813 list? My first thought was to put them in as Reserve infantry but the poor drilled just does not seem right to me.

Also I have read that the Legion had 2 infantry brigades, a Jager battalion, 2 Hussar units and 2 artillery units. I guess I could therefor do up 2 line units with jager attachments. With the single Hussar unit restriction for Prussia think I should look at a Legion Hussar unit or just paint them up as attachments? Looks like I might be getting 2 more Russian guns for the Prussian Horse artillery arm some day :twisted:

I was wondering why the Reserve troops can be poor or average drilled in the spring list but only poor drilled in the fall list.

Thanks for your input
KendallB
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Russo German Legion

Post by KendallB »

The RGL had been around since late 1812 I believe. I've always thought of them as Average Drilled and can be a small or large unit - especially when the 7th battalion was raised.

I wrote up a list for Wallmoden's corps in 1813 based on the Nafziger orbats. I should get around to posting it! It has the full glory of the RGL with infantry and hussars.

Don't forget that the RGL was still wearing their old uniforms in the Waterloo campaign so you can use them in an 1815 corps.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Yes I knew they kept their Russian uniforms until after Waterloo. Thought they would make a nice change for the Prussians and I could use them in a Russian army as well. I think I will count them towards the line infantry then, thanks for your input and that OOB would be interesting to see. I'm going to make this unit the 2nd Brigade, blue collar, just for something different. I might make the first brigade some day too.

From what I have read the RGL started out as a jager battalion that defected to the Russians in 1812. As more German troops surrendered and volunteered to join its ranks the RGL grew to 2 Brigades, a jager battalion two horse batteries and I think 2 Hussars. Hope Blathergut likes facing off against his former ally :twisted:
shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by shadowdragon »

deadtorius wrote:I was wondering why the Reserve troops can be poor or average drilled in the spring list but only poor drilled in the fall list.
Just speculation on my part, but perhaps because of losses in the spring campaign. I notice the line are veteran/average in the spring but only average in the fall.

I noticed on TMP a discussion that in 1815 the 30th / 31st regiments (formed from the RGL) may have worn blue jackets instead of green; although the officers apparently retained their green jackets.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=258391

As for rating....I suppose one could argue either as line or as reserve. They were formed from deserters or PoW. I notice that it's stated that some deserted in late 1814 after the peace. Your choice if that makes them average or poor.

Then again Clauswitz was a member.
KendallB

Post by KendallB »

deadtorius wrote:Thought they would make a nice change for the Prussians and I could use them in a Russian army as well.
How pedantic are you about the grey trousers the RGL wears compared to the Russian white?

As for the grading, I always thought the Reserve regiments being Poor as a bit off. Their was nothing wrong with their morale, being all enthusiastic and patriotic at that time. Certainly in Autumn they were the equal of any of the original line regiments.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

How pedantic are you about the grey trousers the RGL wears compared to the Russian white?
My guys have grey pants (with red stripe) I shaved down the buttons on the leggings. Having to use Warlord Russians (only spares I had and they were on sale at the time) for them so its not too big of a job to lose the buttons. As for being in one of my Russian armies, they will be RGL in both armies so its the same uniform etc.
I imagine that once they were turned over to the Prussians they might have gotten blue jackets, but being a truly universal force, Prussian soldiers, equipped by Russia, paid for by England. Even after they were transferred to Prussia England was still paying for them, think thats what I read at one time. No flags but an interesting unit to add to my growing Prussian army. I may do the first brigade some day, I'm going with the blue collars, just because its different.

I'm going to treat them as line infantry, after all they do have combat experience from the 1812 campaign.

Return to “Field of Glory : Napoleonic Era 1792-1815 : General Discussion”