Game Crash Revisited

PC : Turn based Empire building in the ancient Near East.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

malthaussen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Game Crash Revisited

Post by malthaussen »

There has been no response to my posting under the thread "Game Crashes Intermittently..." It would be nice to know that somebody had actually read the thing.

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Game Crash Revisited

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Apologies, your post did in fact get missed. That's very useful info, and I will dig down a little more to see if I can replicate the problem.

Cheers

Pip
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK - after some significant fun and games recompiling 8 or 9 year old code :) I discovered the issue. My guess is that something (probably a windows update) moved the game around in memory and started to show the bug up. Ah - the joys of PCs :).

Please grab this zip and extract the updated EXE and drop it into your install folder. Remember that your desktop icon won't point to it, although you can create a new shortcut of course.

http://www.slitherine.com/files/chariot ... oW_1.2.zip

If you could verify this fixes the issue for you that would be great - I repeated and fixed it here, but I want to ensure that it works at your end. Thanks for your help on this!

Cheers

Pip
malthaussen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by malthaussen »

Dear Pip;

Please check your PM.

-- mal
malthaussen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by malthaussen »

The 1.2 fix appears to have addressed the crashing problem: I took 6 cities without a crash in my test, and will check other civs later.

However, a new bug has crept in with the fix: on the "Game Results" screens, the tabs have been corrupted, so instead of the names, casualties, cities, etc being in nice little columns, they are spread out based on the name of the civ. It's annoying as hell, but not fatal.:)

A second bug I just noticed, probably related to the one above: when you look at the Empire Overview, all of the city names have a pound sign and a 0 appended to them. This seems related to the above bug because on the Results screen, the shorter strings all terminate in a pound sign, although without a 0. Something to do with string definition, perhaps?
Update: having taken a couple of cities with longer names, I see that the Empire Overview bug is the same as the Game Results bug, the tabs are corrupted.

-- Mal
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at these - I was pretty certain something would turn up given the changes I had to make to get the game to compile under a newer version of VC++.

Cheers

Pip
malthaussen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by malthaussen »

Yeah, a few minor things will crop up, but the fatal crash seems to be fixed: I've done 3 different civs (Israel, Dahae, Lower Egypt), and no crashes. Be interesting to know what the error was.

Now, if you could just calm down the AI a little.:) When you bring out CoW II (2020, maybe?), it should have a setting similar to Troy's where the AI doesn't do anything for 15-20 game years.:) This is fun in it's own way, but it sometimes feels like "Firefighting in the Early Bronze Age" to me.

-- Mal
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK - can you try this version please:

http://www.slitherine.com/files/chariot ... _1.2.1.zip

Should solve these cosmetic issues. I'm sure not touching a decade-old AI - do you want us all enslaved to the machines! ;)

Cheers

Pip
malthaussen
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by malthaussen »

Yep, that fixed the cosmetic error, and best of all, I could use my 1.2 save.

One final thing I've noticed, and I'm not sure if it is cosmetic, reflective of something underlying, or a design intention: in the combat report, "Casualties Received" does not match the enemy's "Casualties Inflicted."

-- Mal
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

You can kill your own men - so thats fine!
Syt1976
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Syt1976 »

Hi, I re-bought the game today, and it seems I'm also suffering from a high crash rate after conquering cities (Win 7 64bit).

The file linked to in this thread doesn't seem to be available anymore - would it be possible to re-upload it, or put it in the download section?

Apologies if I've overlooked it.

Thanks! :)
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

No idea how or why the file got deleted - so sorry about that! It should be back up in it's spot now :)

Cheers

Pip
Syt1976

Post by Syt1976 »

And so it is. Thanks, much appreciated! :D
CitiesCrashin

Post by CitiesCrashin »

Also having the same proble on my Charriots of war, could you please link me to the patch? Hate playing a game i cant win......
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The link hasn't changed - grab it here

http://www.slitherine.com/files/chariot ... _1.2.1.zip

Return to “Chariots of War”