In the absence of a FoG:R wiki . . .

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

In the absence of a FoG:R wiki . . .

Post by Skullzgrinda » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:15 am

Would someone be so kind as to summarize the differing play styles of the following armies? To wit:

Huguenot

Cossack

Pole

Ottoman

Even word association would provide some insight!

TIA 8)

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:51 am

Well nobody (other than the authors) knows yet as the books have not been published.

However:

Huguenots: Pikes, Cuirassiers [Heavily Armoured, Superior Horse, Impact Pistol, Melee Pistol], Commanded shot [Arquebus]

Cossack: Light horse, Cavalry, Foot with arquebus/muskets (mostly without pikes).

Poles: Light Horse, Cavalry, Polish Winged hussars (Super duper Determined Horse), Shot (with or without pike depending on date)

Ottoman: Light horse, Cavalry (with bow or carbine depending on date), Shot without Pike, heavy artillery
Last edited by rbodleyscott on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

flamingpig0
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by flamingpig0 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:08 am

rbodleyscott wrote:Well nobody (other than the authors) knows yet as the books have not been published.

However:

Huguenots: Pikes, Cuirassiers [ HeavilyArmoured, Superior Horse, Impact Pistol, Melee Pistol], Commanded shot [Arquebus]
That raises an issue; does anyone make a decent 15mm Miller figure?

Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Skullzgrinda » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:20 pm

RBS, thank you for that. Normally I am not much interested in classic, balanced armies but the Huguenots have enough historical interest that this may tip the balance. They seem more substantial - 'heavier', than I expected.

I love the Cossacks too, but they look weak alongside the Poles.

Ottoman light horse plus heavy guns seems an awkward combination, but it would be nice to have a double duty army for FoG AM+R.

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Wait until you see the Cossack lists (which I have not). Poles keep Arquebus until VERY late. Musket armed Cossack foot might (depending upon the list options) give the Poles pause for thought in 1648...

Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Skullzgrinda » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:56 am

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:39 am

timmy1 wrote:Wait until you see the Cossack lists (which I have not). Poles keep Arquebus until VERY late.
Musket armed Cossack foot might (depending upon the list options) give the Poles pause for thought in 1648...
er, no.

timmy1

Post by timmy1 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Boooh Hisss!

Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Skullzgrinda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 am

timmy1 wrote:Boooh Hisss!
Sounds like Cossack weaksauce, doesn't it?

Damn . . .

madcam2us
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by madcam2us » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:47 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:Well nobody (other than the authors) knows yet as the books have not been published.

However:

Huguenots: Pikes, Cuirassiers [Heavily Armoured, Superior Horse, Impact Pistol, Melee Pistol], Commanded shot [Arquebus]

Cossack: Light horse, Cavalry, Foot with arquebus/muskets (mostly without pikes).

Poles: Light Horse, Cavalry, Polish Winged hussars (Super duper Determined Horse), Shot (with or without pike depending on date)

Ottoman: Light horse, Cavalry (with bow or carbine depending on date), Shot without Pike, heavy artillery

Winged hussars being 3/base?
Panaceri being 3/base?
I'm assuming the LH would be Lith/Turk/Cossack-ish and 2/base?

Thanks - just based the Polish shot 4 to a base and have had the other lead for some time now but needed to know how to base up the mounted.

TIA,

Madcam.
There goes another crossing the Rubicon!
W/D/L
CoA - 3/0/0
C.I. - 1/1/1
Ottoman - 6/0/1
Khurasian - 3/5/2
Catalan - 4/0/0

nickdives
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by nickdives » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:25 pm

And of course Dragoons!

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:01 am

madcam2us wrote: Winged hussars being 3/base?
Panaceri being 3/base?
I'm assuming the LH would be Lith/Turk/Cossack-ish and 2/base?

Thanks - just based the Polish shot 4 to a base and have had the other lead for some time now but needed to know how to base up the mounted.

TIA,

Madcam.
See

viewtopic.php?t=16703&start=0

nickdives

Post by nickdives » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:32 am

Having just finished a Testudo Swedish army I ordered some Poles from http://www.legio-heroica.com/ rather nice looking figures, a couple of photos of the Poles and Turks appear in the FOG book. I will probably work on 5 x 4 Bases of Hussars and 5 x 4 Bases of Pancerni, with some light cav, Dragoons and a couple of infantry units and guns.

This should cover most eventualities from battles in which the Hussars made up over 50% of deployed forces and others only 15-20%. I shall then wait for the book, currently on preorder! Meanwhile in deeg to FOG!pest South Somerset it is 1638 and our campaign continues (converting to FOG!).

Montesa
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Montesa » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Skullzgrinda wrote:Must . . .

resist . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkOHSmDF ... re=related
And these:

(With fire and sword) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8AUhMdo ... re=related Polish movie - Poland vs Cossacks
(1612) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAKzvY6HGZ4 Russian movie - Poland vs Russia
(Michael the Brave) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzDFXij3 ... re=related Romanian-German movie- Moldavian, Wallachaian, etc vs Ottomans

Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Skullzgrinda » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:01 pm

That was wicked of you, Montesa! :evil:

vsolfronk
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by vsolfronk » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Interesting some of the comments under each film....

Montesa
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Montesa » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:34 pm

vsolfronk wrote:Interesting some of the comments under each film....
Here some comments but don't know if would be interesting for you.
General comments: Are typical eastern european movies. Very slow and a little boring. All three have great nationalism of its country. The first two films used actors of the nationality that they represents. Of the three,I think is best the polish movie.
(With fire and sword) Polish movie - Poland vs Cossacks. This film had as consultant at Richard Brezazinski, writer of the osprey about the polish armies of the period.

(1612) Russian movie - Poland vs Russia. It has fantasy elements. And very russian nationalist. Don't like it as movie.

(Michael the Brave) Romanian-German movie- Moldavian, Wallachaian, etc vs Ottomans. Years ago I saw it, but I don't remember too much.

Prefer other movies. Last Valley (the best as a story), Cromwell or Alatriste.
None movie are fully accurate but they are good to have some good notions that can been verified (must be verified) and used.
Of Alatriste it doesn´t has a continuity of the script but the three flags of the tercios that appears in the last battle: Rocroi, were really there (captured by the french). The flags of the surrender of Breda (showed in the picture of velaquez) Checkered white and blue with red burgundian cross, and plain red with blue burgundian cross doesn´t know of who they were. There are 3 theories: Flag of the Governes of Flandes (in a book of the spanish Army "La Infanteria española entorno al Siglo de Oro"), Spinola (the most popular theory) or Captains of the Tercios ("Banderas de España").
Last edited by Montesa on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spartacus

Post by Spartacus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:43 pm

Hmm! 2 Armies I am very interested in making are Cossacks and Poles due mainly to the film Taras Bulba. I hope they can be balanced out well.
--Terry--

Delbruck
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Delbruck » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:16 pm

I didn't care for the 2009 Taras Bulba. Too Russian nationalistic, and the battle scenes weren't that great.

Spartacus

Post by Spartacus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Delbruck wrote:I didn't care for the 2009 Taras Bulba. Too Russian nationalistic, and the battle scenes weren't that great.
2009!!

I didn`t know about that one.

I was 10 when the 1962 one came out :lol:
--Terry--

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”