Army List Generator

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

Is it possible to sort by Order of March?

Is is possible to change the point size?
shangtuming
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by shangtuming »

It is possible to sort by order of march.
If you are using the up to date version simply select all the cells down of the order of march column and to the right up to the points column, then click the sort. i.e. Cells A10:L(to where your list ends).

If you are refering to the print size this has caused issues for some others. My dilema has been trying to allow enough space for people wh have big armies needing lots of lines and still being able to read the thing.

Ver2.7 allows selction of print area which should produce larger print.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any problems.
Paul
shangtuming
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by shangtuming »

nikgaukroger wrote:Firstly, thanks for all the hard work - very useful tool.

But, and there was bound to be one :D , I do find it annoying that I cannot select the portion of the sheet that contains my list and set just that as my print area (at least I can't) and so have to print out a whole load of empty lines.

I'm sure you have a reason, however, it is feedback 8)
Version 2.7 now allows this :D
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

shangtuming wrote:It is possible to sort by order of march.
If you are using the up to date version simply select all the cells down of the order of march column and to the right up to the points column, then click the sort. i.e. Cells A10:L(to where your list ends).

If you are refering to the print size this has caused issues for some others. My dilema has been trying to allow enough space for people wh have big armies needing lots of lines and still being able to read the thing.

Paul
Ah I see you have to use that very precise select or get the protected cell error.

I genererally like to use my own print size as I make certain things like army name and such larger and can be spotted further away reather thatn relying on the print area which i use too.
shangtuming
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by shangtuming »

footslogger wrote:I tried it and it's great.

A couple of suggestions: I tried to copy and paste a BG and it wouldn't allow me to paste because it said the cells were protected. But I could type into the same cells. I can't explain this. But copy and paste is handy if you have a few battle groups that are 4 MF, musket, 2 HF pike, and a battalion gun.

I like to leave a blank line between BGs, but there isn't enough space to do that, so more writable lines would be good. (I have 6 battle groups like the above, plus 3 bgs that are the same without battalion guns, and a few other groups).

Thanks for putting in the effort to do this!
I agree copying and pasting is one of the most usful things about using a spreadsheet.
If you only select the data entry cells A#:K# it should be possible to copy and paste as much as you like.

More lines can make the printed version even harder too read. I am working on some ideas to cater for both those who need a mega list and those of us whos eyesight is not what it used to be, Too much 15mm painting!
shangtuming
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by shangtuming »

hazelbark wrote:
shangtuming wrote:It is possible to sort by order of march.

Paul
Ah I see you have to use that very precise select or get the protected cell error.

I genererally like to use my own print size as I make certain things like army name and such larger and can be spotted further away reather thatn relying on the print area which i use too.
It is difficult to allow too much adjustment without compromising the the integrity of the form but I am looking at improving this aspect.
The Cells I refer to above should be A:K - sorry.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

How about just allowing colored fonts and colored backgrounds?

OOM would be nice. With Oliver's i and others often color the 4 qtrs to ease reminding what to pull next

Also the same things for the Troop name and BG#. After I design a list. I would prefer to ghost back the BG# just because once its sorted for OOM the numbers are a distraction. A variation of that for Troop name. Allows me to name regiments and makes me feel like I am looking at a roster albeit colorful rather than a spreadsheet.
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

Dan

Anyone ever tell you that you are shooting for the moon?
shangtuming
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by shangtuming »

I have kept the options tight while I am ironing out the bugs but keep the suggestions comming in.

It may take a while to build a Saturn V but feel free to suggest the colour it should be :)
SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by SirGarnet »

Can you leave it protected but with no password or announce the password so we can customize it while those without Excel skills avoid introducing errors?

I need to echo the points total somewhere convenient when working with the list, such as B8 and also a totals line I add in after the troop list, not just up in P2 which requires a scroll up to the top of the screen. Lines 1 to 8 are useful at a few points and for tournament organizers but not when fiddling with the army list lines 9 and following. I also change the column widths and font sizes and hide unneeded columns for printing to get things as big and readable as possible within a one page print area and with minimum of white space.

Also, having the sheet protected means I can't add in my standard floating text box at the end with organizational and tactical notes.

Having it unlocked would make it much more friendly.
shangtuming wrote:Also how useful do people think it would be to have a second sheet mirrored from the main list that can be used as a Detached Shot alternative list, or are we happy to copy and paste?
Would using the scenario function through a "dashboard" second page help for that?
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

timmy1 wrote:Dan

Anyone ever tell you that you are shooting for the moon?
Well if you don't aim high, then you always end up low.

If you have flexiblitiy you can put things like standards and images on your sheet. Tart it up a bit, instead of looking boring.
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby »

I'm just dipping my toes into the FoG:R waters and just wanted to thank you for a great job on the army lists Paul - it really makes life easier - well done.

How easy or difficult would it be to unprotect column A? I like to fill this column with different colours to help me remember the deployment sequence.

Thanks in anticipation

Cheers
Pete
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Just wondering why you seem to be repeating the same info in theBG# and order of march columns. I would think that you could drop the BG# and free up some space, since you need order of march to sort them out.

I have been using different font colours in the unit name for showing where deployment ends. So if I have to deploy 5 BG's I will change the name of BG 6 to red for example, then when I deploy I deploy the troops that are in a black font then start with the red guys and go down the list till the next red font etc.
timmy1

Post by timmy1 »

Given Pete's record under DBR be afraid, be very afraid.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

deadtorius wrote:Just wondering why you seem to be repeating the same info in theBG# and order of march columns. I would think that you could drop the BG# and free up some space, since you need order of march to sort them out.

I have been using different font colours in the unit name for showing where deployment ends. So if I have to deploy 5 BG's I will change the name of BG 6 to red for example, then when I deploy I deploy the troops that are in a black font then start with the red guys and go down the list till the next red font etc.
Well he uses that to do army breakpoint and BG cost equations. The trouble as he current has it you will have to list the whole BG in the OOM so a pike+shot+regimental gets 3 postiions on OOM. So could get shuffled I am sure was his thinking.

I am sympathetic to your view, would be OK if it was unportected so we could color and fot modify etc.
shangtuming
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by shangtuming »

Hello all

t is correct that the BG# column is a fundemental part of the automation of the point system. By having this coulmn ther is no need to have different selction for the various combinations. Therefore by dropping the BG# column it would be necessary to add another manual selction column so no space would be saved.

I am aware that that it is nice to be able to highlight rows etc. and I intend to free up the formating in the nextrelease, which will be soon - work and family permitting.

I hope the sheet helps the enjoyment of the game.
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

I hope the sheet helps the enjoyment of the game.
Great job Paul - and really easy to use - thanks!
Pete
Three
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Three »

It is a great resource, but I can't get it to sort into March Order - the A-Z and Z-A Sort buttons on the top toolbar are greyed out, so what am I doing wrong?
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

make sure you highlight the cells to be sorted all the way to the end before where it says "BG size" then you should be able to hit the sort button. At least thats what I hope it says, there are a few of these BG generators floating about and never sure which one I am looking at. Just make sure you don't highlight anything in the last two columns and you should be good to go. Also dont forget to start the highlight in the order of march column.
Three

Post by Three »

Tried all of those ideas, highlighting from cell A10 through to cells K10/L10/M10 /N10 and then down the page to line of last entry, but Sort buttons still grey.

Plus, when I've saved a copy of the finished list(s), some have a yellow band along the top edge when you look at them sitting in the folder and some don't.

I know I'm not good with Excel, but the instructions Paul gave aren't difficult, and I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right :?

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”