British Competition Forum

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: British Competition Forum

Post by list_lurker »

wargames world 8)
indeed it is a strange phenomena, I'm not sure why Wargamers are so reluctant to put their hands on their pockets. I've never experienced such cynicism toward wargame 'suppliers' - 'manufacturers' - "the man"... non of whom drive around in 'big motors' or luxuriate on long foreign holidays as far as I'm aware :D JD excepted :evil: :D
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

nikgaukroger wrote:
list_lurker wrote: Perhaps its might be time to rethink the revenue model? I think that army lists and the like are the perfect avenue for small e-book type releases (with associated micro payments)...
Well I'd heartily agree, as would most people other than those who hold the rights to this ... :? :? :roll:
"Osprey-published Bolt Action releasing the rules on Kindle for a couple of quid, presumably after almost everyone who was going to buy the hard copy version did so" anyone...?

I now own a set of Bolt Action, and a list book.... Almost thinking about playing it too :roll:
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
Saxonian
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Saxonian »

My background is Napoleonics, along with some Napoleonics and a little bit of Napoleonics as well. (And maybe a bit of Warhammer, bit we won't mention that too loudly :oops: .......)
Over the past year or so I have slowly been beginning to delve into the AM and R periods, as both seem to be pretty well supported at our club. Though I don't know the amount of support for them outside of Melbourne.
So I have been watching the forums for both periods pretty regularly to glean what info I can.

The thing that I have found most encouraging is that, apart from one or two niggling issues (artillery in R, apparently), the rules seem to be very stable and widely understood in the same way pretty much everywhere - the success of the recent "Worlds" in Koblenz is the best indicator of this. I looked at the comments posted by those who took part, and I cannot recall one comment where a variation in rules interpretation was a feature. This is an issue we have dealt with in FOGN over the past year, and we seem to have reached a consensus, at least in our Melbourne club and with our NZ friends who made the journey for our recent tournament. The forum was a crucial tool in achieving this, and the fact that the "Rules Question" section has gone fairly quiet is, I hope, an indicator that we might have sorted out many of the bigger problems..... either that, or I am being a little over-optimistic!

I can absolutely understand Raven's initial post - by far the most common posts on either the AM or R forums are about UK tournaments, but I think that is an indication of the health of the 'scene' rather than any kind of a hi-jacking.
I think the issue with this in Australia has something to do with the distances involved, and the number of tournaments held. There is a lot of Britain that is within a couple of hours drive of somewhere else to go for a tournament. Over here, Melbourne to Sydney is roughly 10 hours drive. And, to be honest, I really don't know about gamers elsewhere, though I am sure they exist. Our club holds one tournament for each FOG period per year, and I hope to play in all of them from here on. But I can never be sure of being able to attend a tourney outside of Melbourne, unfortunately.

As far as getting some sort of idea as to whether anyone is looking at your posts, I think using the number of views is a better indicator than the number of responses. Especially if the post does not include an actual question.
I love the fact that so many people use the forums. To be honest, I rarely look at the tournaments section, simply because I know that it is probably not relevant to me. But I usually check the site every couple of days....I never know what I'll find. :D :D
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

I would note that there are some robust FOG R groups in the US.

But they generally don't play competitions for a variety of reasons.

Remember the competition scene outside of ancients is not the gaming norm at least in the US. In fact it is the gaming exotic. I personally know of a dozen people who live within 15 minutes of a location that has the rules they like holding a competition event and they "may" drop by to see people or chat but they will not play.

Even in its stronger days the US Pike and Shot Society was much more than a competition entity.

Then add on many of the competition oriented players go where there is more aggressive competition and that is not the FOG-centric world.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

vexillia wrote: In an attempt to add something to this thread here's an image showing the decline of FOG AM and the growth of FOGR & DBMM in the UK's Northern League up to the end of last year:
The image is from Competing Views, Miniature Wargames, 374, 43-46 and it's available online.
Considering you like others have probably lost some players to the combustion engine era, this also underscores that the pool is relatively stable its is the increased diversity of rules within it that is having a disquieting effect on the player participants.
GKChesterton1976
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

WINTERCON

Post by GKChesterton1976 »

Make it not true Ian.

Ian (Ravenflight) is running a FOGR event at Wintercon in Canberra 18-19 July 2015.

15mm 800 points. I am very excited at playing, as I believe is my brother Martin.

Canberra in the middle of July is proof that parts of Australia do have winter.

Hope to see some of you there!

Adrian
urbanbunny1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by urbanbunny1 »

Canberra can do a proper winter.

G'day to the Canberrans!

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
urbanbunny1

Post by urbanbunny1 »

list_lurker wrote:
wargames world 8)
indeed it is a strange phenomena, I'm not sure why Wargamers are so reluctant to put their hands on their pockets. I've never experienced such cynicism toward wargame 'suppliers' - 'manufacturers' - "the man"... non of whom drive around in 'big motors' or luxuriate on long foreign holidays as far as I'm aware :D JD excepted :evil: :D
We are a tight bunch.

Happy to spend money on a curry and a few pints though

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”