FoG:AM v3 Lost Lists

An unofficial forum for people to discuss potential new lists and amendments. Note this is not about picking armies from existing lists, it is about creating lists for armies that do not exist or suggesting changes to those that do.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

FoG:AM v3 Lost Lists

Post by nikgaukroger »

With the contraction of the v1 lists to 2, albeit much larger, book some armies have gotten lost. To amuse myself I'm going to post some of them here as I would have drafted them for v3.

Obviously wholly unofficial and if they had been in the official books they may well have been adjusted to a greater or lesser extent by Terry, etc. However, they may be of interest to somebody.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: FoG:AM v3 Lost Lists

Post by nikgaukroger »

Inspired by Paul Chouinard on the FoG:AM Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1726636790966631/ - here is a Lydian list (previously in Immortal Fire).

Nik Gaukroger

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

And Neo-Babylonian Empire for the same reason (previously in Swifter than Eagles).

Nik Gaukroger

berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by berthier »

Thanks for sharing Nik.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

berthier wrote:Thanks for sharing Nik.
I might be open to requests 8) :lol:
Nik Gaukroger

dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

Shouldn't the lf jls be 5 points and the lh jls 8 points in the Lydian list?

Surprised none of the cavalry are elite as household guards.
Evaluator of Supremacy
shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by shadowdragon »

dave_r wrote:Shouldn't the lf jls be 5 points and the lh jls 8 points in the Lydian list?

Yes, that’s what I got for the LF JLS - unprotected, average undrilled = 4 + javelin 1 + LS 0 = 5

But, 7 for LH: unprotected, average undrilled = 5 + javelin 1 + LS 1 = 7

ETA - The Lydian chariots should be 16 points.
Last edited by shadowdragon on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs »

dave_r wrote:Shouldn't the lf jls be 5 points and the lh jls 8 points in the Lydian list?

Welcome to the heady world of proof reading. I was surprised the Lydians were allowed 24 superior armoured cavalry and no compulsory average ones.
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

grahambriggs wrote:

Welcome to the heady world of proof reading. I was surprised the Lydians were allowed 24 superior armoured cavalry and no compulsory average ones.
Well, they were generally regarded as better than Persians, so I'm not surprised they can all be Superior.
Evaluator of Supremacy
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

grahambriggs wrote: I was surprised the Lydians were allowed 24 superior armoured cavalry and no compulsory average ones.
They probably should have - thought we had a list or so that allowed that many without any compulsory average, but checking shows that not to be the case.

So I've tweaked the list a bit - updated version in the original post (to avoid having multiple versions in the same topic).
Nik Gaukroger

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

For neo-babs 2nd “other cav” entry did you mean it as is (all JLS BG) or did you intend 1/2 JLS and half bow/sw?
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

All JLS, Sw no 1/2:1/2 option. If you want the Other Cavalry as shooters you have to use the Bow* option.
Nik Gaukroger

shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

nikgaukroger wrote:All JLS, Sw no 1/2:1/2 option. If you want the Other Cavalry as shooters you have to use the Bow* option.
That’s what I understood. Thanks for the confirmation.
Intothevalley
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Intothevalley »

Having just received the 1st army list book I was a bit disappointed to see that three of the armies I own no longer have a list (somewhat offset by one of my armies getting a bit of a boost), so I guess I'll need my own lists for friendly games (I'm assuming they'll be right out for competitions soon). Is it reasonably safe to just port over the version 1 lists with points values appropriately modified, or are there some general principles for amending the version 1 lists further to fit in with the v3 rules (e.g. fewer superior troops and light foot/light horse, etc., more average/poor troops).

Also, in the notes for Later Minoan or Early Mycenaean it states tantalisingly that the 'The Later Mycenaean period is covered by its own list', but I couldn't find this list in book 1 (maybe my eyesight/skimming capabilities needs some attention) - is it intended to put this list in one of the other books - I wasn't expecting it as I'd assumed the later books would cover later periods.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Intothevalley wrote: Also, in the notes for Later Minoan or Early Mycenaean it states tantalisingly that the 'The Later Mycenaean period is covered by its own list', but I couldn't find this list in book 1 (maybe my eyesight/skimming capabilities needs some attention) - is it intended to put this list in one of the other books - I wasn't expecting it as I'd assumed the later books would cover later periods.
Something from the original list that wasn't deleted and wasn't picked up in proof reading I'm afraid.
Nik Gaukroger

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Just for you, a Later Mykenaian list as it might have been if it had made the cut.

Nik Gaukroger

berthier

Post by berthier »

Good stuff, Nik. Hopefully you get stuck in many more boring hotel rooms. :)
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com
Intothevalley

Post by Intothevalley »

Yes thanks very much for this Nik. I note that the chariots have been amended to be average by default with an option to upgrade a proportion to superior - is that a generally applicable rule where version 1 lists had the equivalent troops as superior by default?

Also one other thing I noted in the new lists - in the Warring States list it looks like the numbers of poor 'conscript' troops have been reduced in the v2 lists (up to 20) compared to the v1 lists (up to 64 IIRC) - is it a general rule to reduce numbers of poor troops to stop too much lower points value 'filler' being taken?
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Intothevalley wrote:Yes thanks very much for this Nik. I note that the chariots have been amended to be average by default with an option to upgrade a proportion to superior - is that a generally applicable rule where version 1 lists had the equivalent troops as superior by default?
I think, but having not seen the final drafts I cannot be sure what the team will have actually done, that the most common way of restricting troops (especially mounted) that were previously all Superior is to mandate a minimum number that must be taken as Average rather than using the upgrade route. The effect at the maximum allowed is, however, usually about the same with 1/3 Average and 2/3 Superior.

If you are looking to convert other missing lists, however, the upgrade approach as in the above is perfectly good approach IMO.

Also one other thing I noted in the new lists - in the Warring States list it looks like the numbers of poor 'conscript' troops have been reduced in the v2 lists (up to 20) compared to the v1 lists (up to 64 IIRC) - is it a general rule to reduce numbers of poor troops to stop too much lower points value 'filler' being taken?
Basically, yes. Also Poor light troops are almost all removed - filler that can easily escape being a bad thing for the game.
Nik Gaukroger

Intothevalley

Post by Intothevalley »

nikgaukroger wrote:
Intothevalley wrote:it looks like the numbers of poor 'conscript' troops have been reduced in the v2 lists (up to 20) compared to the v1 lists (up to 64 IIRC) - is it a general rule to reduce numbers of poor troops to stop too much lower points value 'filler' being taken?
Basically, yes. Also Poor light troops are almost all removed - filler that can easily escape being a bad thing for the game.
Thanks for the clarification, really useful - sorry to keep on but do you have an idea what is done with v1 lists that have compulsory poor troops - are the numbers kept the same, or is the minima/maxima reduced - I'm thinking about the Early Zhou list but I think this situation might apply to a few others as well. Should previously poor troops be changed to average?

Return to “Player Designed Lists”