AAR: Operation Barbarossa-Fortress Europa(no Massina please)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

AAR: Operation Barbarossa-Fortress Europa(no Massina please)

Post by supermax »

Blueprints for Victory

The sound of the long black boots were echoing all around the hall, which each steps taken by the gray-clad general walking on the wooden floor of the big mansion. The walls were full of large painting depicting several heroes of germany's past. At regular interval, german army soldiers were stationned along the wall, and as the general made his aprpoach, they all saluted with a Heil Hitler, adding th the echo in the big hall.

War had just broken out with the damned western allies just a week before. The german surged forward in Poland, and casualities had been heavy, and because of the general's plan. It had already taken all His little change to convince Adolf hitler of his plan, because OKH had been vehemently against it...So much, in fact that he was when his arguments became irritating to his superiors for changing the plan, he was honourably pushed out of the way by promotion to command a reserve corps of infantry. But history would not have it... Chance made it so than he got a chance to sit down right next to the Fuhrer in a diner by mid august. By now it was too late to have a perfect troop placement because the OKH had placed its assets in and around the polish border, but in a bold discussion with Hitler he was able to convince him of his way...

His "blueprint for victory" has he had called it, was complicated, but simple in its overall grand scheme. Overwhelm the western allies before they would have time to understand what happened to them. After a long, long night at hitler's side, over maps, figures, ratios of the german Army and most especially grand strategy, he was able to convince the fuhrer: They would agressivly pursue a decisive conclusion in the west right from the start putting Poland on the scene.

Phase 1: Destroy Belgium rapidly, and drive thru France as early as possible, Paris needing to fall before end of december.

Phase 2: Land and decisivly destroy british Power in europe thru the occupation of Britain, while driving thru Vichy France and Spain to achieve its surrender and subsquently occupy Gibraltar.

Phase 3: (optional): If ressources permit, launch a major offensive in Africa with a combined germano-italien force.

Phase 4: Land preparations for Barbarossa

Phase 5: Launch a decisive Barbarossa while building a major naval force

Phase 6: Occupy Moscow and establish a défensive Line running up from Rostov all the way to Leningrad and resist any russians attempts to reclaim their capital, while running a major naval battle.

Lost in his thoughts, he stopped in front of 2 black-clad SS guard. He made a head gesture and the 2 soldiers opened the door, giving way to a grandiose room, with a large window on the right, a big wooden table in the center, and in the back, a large and impressive fireplace where a raging fire was going on. His back on Manstein, hands held behind his back and looking at the fire was Adolf Hitler. Manstein had heard the reports of an infuriated Hitler on the subject of casualities in Poland... Removing all air cover for the campaign had been, indeed, a very bold stroke maybee for the west, but one that was not kindly received by the likes of Guderian and others, busy campaining in the east of the Oder. The polish force, un-hindered by air bombers and fighters had been rock solid in their defense of the country...

Berghoff meeting room between Hitlers and Anstein in 1939

The grand strategist thought for a moment that if only most of his colleagues could see farther than their own little noses, all would be good...

Hitler turned around and look with his always trouncing gaze, right to the back of Manstein head, it seemed. Ah! Herr MAnstein! What of the preparations in the West? The general was surprised about the dictator's reaction, since he had heard Hitler's reaction to casualities reports... As he would write in his memoirs in 1955 after his release from prison, " Hitler had a total disreguard for german life in the indidivual form of a Soldier (...) All troops were considered expandable for the great reich" (...)

Germans advance tthru the polish countryside

So there it was: Hitler was did not summon him to talk about casualities, but about the unflding of the plan in the west. He made a large gesture with his hand toward the big table where many maps seemed to lay and started toward it. Manstein followed suit. They both put their hands on the table with arms outstreched and started talking about the units placement.

" So, herr general", Hitler said condifently, "Luftflotte 1 and 2 are ready and positionend as well as all BF109 moved to their designated locations... As you requested 1st Panzerdivision, 1st Motirized and 4 INF corps are also ready to jump on the belgians". The dictator ended the last word and looked up to Manstein, expecting something. Manstein decided that he wanted simply to talk over the matter: " Yes, mein Fuhrer, all is ready and i am happy to say thatw e should make shortwork of Belgium, thus enabling the german army to compltly surprise the french, since probably most of the troops are not even up to their wartime positions..."

And the discussion, again, lasted till the early hours of the morning. The next day, the german troops would launch themselves in the war to end german humiliation from the Versailles treaty.

Polish forces resisting galliantly, every village has to be cleared up

Machine gun taking position to obliterate some polish

Last edited by supermax on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
supermax

Turn 2: The west in Flames, Belgium surrenders

Post by supermax »

Turn, 2, Belgium falls. We are now in position to hurt the western allies very badly. If weather hold for 2 turns we are in business, if it holds for 3 turns the french are done for. So far my schedule is good, amidst heavy casualities on the Polish offensive. But hey, it cost some stuff, but the long-term benefit will be greater. If i can knock the french out before end of december, then this means that i will be able to land in Britain as early as march. This will also enable me to blitz thru Vichy France and Spain. IF i can do that fast enough, i will be able to send forces to the Italo-german MED offensive and again surprise the allies with limited preparedness. I hope to be in Jerusalem and poised for a drive on the oilfields before the Barbarossa offensive, enabling me to take Irak before the Russians can send serious reinforcements.

German forces advancing thru the country side towards Brussels. The belgian forces were quickly overwhelmed in face of superior forces and with no support from the french or the Brits

Here again a week later the germans were in Brussels itself, ennemy resistance having all but disintagrated.

Tanks, under ERwin Rommel himself, were an important part of the drive thru the countryside and were the first to reach - and totally surprise- the belgian defenders of the city. Its vigourous attack made the taking of the city possible.

The germans also have a total mastery of the air, no allied fighters dared to intercept the 5 planes that bombed the belgian defenses.
zechi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by zechi »

Interesting approach, aggressive as always. Nevertheless, I think it is quite risky and I have never seen that France falls before 1940. Even with five turns of fair weather in a row, this is even difficult (but possible) against the AI. If you get unlucky with the weather of the two October turns, then your offensive will be stopped by mud. Even one turn of mud in October and one in November and your strategy will not be very effective.
supermax

French front ripped open : Turn 3

Post by supermax »

Amidst heavy german casualities, the french defenses are desintagrating. Polish forces resist galliantly and inflict more heavy losses t the germans.

PAnzers rumbling on a remote belgian road. The french, having left theur defensive position to destroy a PAnzerdivisionen, were rewarded for their bravery by obliteration. 1 tank and 3 INF corps were destroyed.

more german panzers before the brussels counter-attack

The french front is now ripped open, the german forces are pouring in and should overwhelm the western allies defenses quite rapidly...
Rhialto
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Rhialto »

zechi wrote:Interesting approach, aggressive as always. Nevertheless, I think it is quite risky and I have never seen that France falls before 1940. Even with five turns of fair weather in a row, this is even difficult (but possible) against the AI. If you get unlucky with the weather of the two October turns, then your offensive will be stopped by mud. Even one turn of mud in October and one in November and your strategy will not be very effective.
I tried this against the AI last night. Warsaw and Brussels fell together on the third turn. Paris fell on the first turn of January 1940, but withe luckier roll could have fallen a turn earlier.

I'm not sure about Spain in addition to Sealion. Advancing through Spain is slow.
Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid »

Why your opponent didn't sent BEF, I don't know.

If he will lose france in winter/early spring, this few troops will not help against sealion, but together with french they can delay axis well.
supermax

Post by supermax »

zechi wrote:Interesting approach, aggressive as always. Nevertheless, I think it is quite risky and I have never seen that France falls before 1940. Even with five turns of fair weather in a row, this is even difficult (but possible) against the AI. If you get unlucky with the weather of the two October turns, then your offensive will be stopped by mud. Even one turn of mud in October and one in November and your strategy will not be very effective.
Well, we will just have to see. I have succeeded many times in doing that against other players. 1 turn of clear weather and i'll have them. Even if they fall in January 1940, that wonr be an issue anyway
supermax

Post by supermax »

Plaid wrote:Why your opponent didn't sent BEF, I don't know.

If he will lose france in winter/early spring, this few troops will not help against sealion, but together with french they can delay axis well.
True.

But remember we are only on turn 3, this means he only had 2 turns to move his troops. Even at best speed his troops would only be landed in port from the last turn...

Speed is of the essence.
supermax

Post by supermax »

Rhialto wrote:
I tried this against the AI last night. Warsaw and Brussels fell together on the third turn. Paris fell on the first turn of January 1940, but withe luckier roll could have fallen a turn earlier.

I'm not sure about Spain in addition to Sealion. Advancing through Spain is slow.
About Spain, ive never tried that either at the same time as Sealion. Thats what i want, a different game from the last 10... Since with the expansion its pretty linear, and that is why i kinda stopped playing. But i have been toying with this idea of a mainly western-focused camaign and if it could work. I will attack Vichy French and Spain as soon as possible and try to get as much ground in Africa as possible without impeding Barbarossa... Its a serious strech i know, but hey, its just too boring to always do the same game, that is Poland-France (maybee Sealion), then barbarossa, which seems the only blueprint for any serious victory as the Axis in the expansion.

So in the worst of case i will have a lot of fun and loose the game!
Plaid

Post by Plaid »

Pretty interesting plan, anyway.

Aren't you going to land in USA again? :wink:

Is it 1.07 or 2.0 CEaW?
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

From the screenshots it seems like you don't have the font Haettenschweiler installed. Please check here to have it fixed:

viewtopic.php?t=19253
supermax

Post by supermax »

Plaid wrote:Pretty interesting plan, anyway.

Aren't you going to land in USA again? :wink:

Is it 1.07 or 2.0 CEaW?
Thank man. For the USA, its not in my mind at the moment, but you never know if i utterly destroy the british fleet i may?... More difficult now with the new Monroe doctrine rule, i dont know how i could pull it off... I thiknk i could only do it if i landed directly in the states...
supermax

Turn 4: Poland falls, PAris to follow suit soon.

Post by supermax »

Victorious german forces thru the countryside, marching full tilt to Paris after breaking thru the french feeble front

Not that the french did not try to resist, here a German soldier seen barely escaping with his life from a exploding shell

French forces in dirassay and in retrat...

Heavy battles around Rheims

Polish forces under heavy guard. The nation starts a long, long eclipse of its sun...
supermax

Turn 5: The outskirts of Paris

Post by supermax »

Well, we are finally there. Paris will fall in 2 turns, at most 3, rendering my strategy possible. Speaking of witch, so far i experienced playing against a very good player, Massina seems on the ball big time. I suspect he has seen or suspects my sealion intentions and is preparing accordingly... He hasnt even sent a GAR in France, and his navy is staying put. If my suspicions are right, it will be very difficult to invade England. We will see i will prepare nonetheless and then probe. If i see a weakness i'll go for it. But its not like i am going to surprise him I think... So i may change my strategy down the road just to throw him off a little bit. Its all going to depend on how i see his defenses once i can send planes to spot them.

Production so far
zechi

Post by zechi »

Why do you intend to attack Vichy France so soon? This will give the UK more PP from the French colonies in North Africa, some naval forces (I'm not sure, but I think Vichy has two 5 step BBs) and later the US gets the Free French Forces for free. I would first secure the Netherlands and Denmark during the winter, which will give you about the same PP amount as Vichy. And on the first fair turn attack Britain and then go for Spain.
Plaid

Post by Plaid »

zechi wrote:Why do you intend to attack Vichy France so soon? This will give the UK more PP from the French colonies in North Africa, some naval forces (I'm not sure, but I think Vichy has two 5 step BBs) and later the US gets the Free French Forces for free. I would first secure the Netherlands and Denmark during the winter, which will give you about the same PP amount as Vichy. And on the first fair turn attack Britain and then go for Spain.
Well, Vichy will buff allies for a while, but its lots of easy-to-capture MED ports increasing axis supply in northern africa dramatically without Gibraltar/Malta or other complicated operation.
zechi

Post by zechi »

Plaid wrote:
zechi wrote:Why do you intend to attack Vichy France so soon? This will give the UK more PP from the French colonies in North Africa, some naval forces (I'm not sure, but I think Vichy has two 5 step BBs) and later the US gets the Free French Forces for free. I would first secure the Netherlands and Denmark during the winter, which will give you about the same PP amount as Vichy. And on the first fair turn attack Britain and then go for Spain.
Well, Vichy will buff allies for a while, but its lots of easy-to-capture MED ports increasing axis supply in northern africa dramatically without Gibraltar/Malta or other complicated operation.
True, but if Supermax intends to go for Sealion, it will not be possible for the Axis to occupy these ports in the near future. And the UK gets two BBs (with lower steps) for free, which are worth a lot of PP and will make Sealion even more difficult. I would first secure the Netherlands and Denmark, which will give about the same PP amount then Vichy France, but this is just my humble opinion.
supermax

Post by supermax »

zechi wrote:
Plaid wrote:
True, but if Supermax intends to go for Sealion, it will not be possible for the Axis to occupy these ports in the near future. And the UK gets two BBs (with lower steps) for free, which are worth a lot of PP and will make Sealion even more difficult. I would first secure the Netherlands and Denmark, which will give about the same PP amount then Vichy France, but this is just my humble opinion.

All you guys, thanks for the comments it made me re-think my strategy, and i think i shall do something around the lines you all outlined.

Zechi, you may have a point, i think now (and with the kind of losses i encountered so make the nFrance early fall happen), that it may be next to impossible to do Sealion AND Vichy/Spain at the same time. But then again, a sharp landing and a quick occupation of a port might still do the trick in England since as you know once the germans get a port, the English are done for...

But Zechi you are right, it would be stupid big time to attack Vichy before Sealion. So i will simply start with the Spanish operation as soon as possible taking advantage of the fair weather in the MED zone, right from december/january. Once that is done i will then occupy Vichy. By then as well, i will be better-prepared with Italo-german forces, transferring several subs to the MED and having all the time in the world for the Italians to put themselves into position. The first few turns are going to be tough in Spain, but once i get things going i should have success, and, besides, Spain takes alot of time so the earlier i start the better.
supermax

Turn 6: Assault on the french capital

Post by supermax »

PinkPanzer
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by PinkPanzer »

As a fellow Canadian I recommend a japanese/german pearl harbour amphib invasion on the USA in the summer of 1940. All you need is New York and Washinton and the US surrenders.

Then your only a quick march up to Ottawa and an amphib invasion near London to knocking the UK out of the war in the summer of 41.
Don't forget to declare war on the ussr the turn you knock the uk out of the war or else you "win the war in the summer of 41" :o

I think the quickest way to madrid is via lisbon. That way you avoid all that crappy terrain.

You could try a fake sealion where the goal is to ambush his fleet in the channel

Halladay throws a nohitter vs Joey Votto and the Reds.
Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are as inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more. Sun Tzu

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”