AAR: Supermax Vs Moriss (No moriss please)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

AAR: Supermax Vs Moriss (No moriss please)

Post by supermax » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:51 am

Well, here we go again. I have been pretty quiet the last few months on CEAW because i needed a long break. ALso played a game with Crazygunner that was going very well for me, but we had to stop it for lack of time a while back.

The development team asked me to test their new beta Version. I am pretty stoked to be able t help them continue develop this great game.

By the way on this subject, i would like to congratulate the development team on this as the work they have done is amazing. I cannot belive how professionnal it looks and how historical the game has gotten. Its now to a point where its looking a bit like World in Flames, the greatest wargame ever created. They are going in the right direction that for sure...

So, Ronnie told me that Mr. Moriss is a very agressive player. This should be interesting as i consider myself a very agressive player as well. Good luck to him, and most especially good luck to me.

Ok, to the game now...

Strategic overlook

Reading thru the page of the manual, its pretty obvious that major changes were done to the game. So many option to exploit now its amazing. I really like the political options, the paradrops (which i think will greatly help a player like me) AND most especially the french armistice option. This is very interesting and something i intend to exploit to the fullest.

The main strategic goals of this game will be as follows:

1- Pursue an agressive land/naval/air campaign on the western allies thru 1939-1940.

1a) Quick destruction of Poland
1b) Quick subjugation of Denmark, maybee Norway
1c) Attack on low countries on turn 3, with the goal of surrendering both countries.

All these goals are now much more attailable than before with the depleted spawning of these countries when DOW and
surprised. I intend to expoit this to the fullest

2- Mediterranean/Spain/Sealion Stragegies

This is a bit tricky right now, and will really depend on the weather. If i have clear weather thru october-november, then i will go for the maximum blitz thru France and then a quick sealion. If weather doesnt cooperate. i shall go for an alternate strategy.

Its pretty obvious that with the new rule for Italian surrender cities that Italy cannot stand beyond 1943 unless something drastic is done. Tunis can fall very easily if the Axis doesnt do anything about it. The Italian will put most of their ressources in a MEd campaign. This will be a bold change from my usual strategy that put most italian ressources on the barbarossa Campaign.

Also to note that sealion will only be attempted if it can be done rapidly and without too much involvement. This will, ultimatly depend on Moriss agressiveness, as if he carelessely spends allied naval strenght i will go all in. IF not, i will ponder and check.

If Sealion appears to be too costly or too long, i will go for the London / Sub warfare strategy with some pressure in the MED. This in reality will be decided at the time of french armistice or not (again depending on how much strenght Moriss has expended with the french)

3- Eastern War Strategy

However much i want to kill as must westerners as possible, i have to realize that the game is won or lost on the eastern front. So most german ressorces will be focused on Russia. I normally wage a pretty agressive war machine on the ruskies, and this game isnt going to be different, except for the slight change in focus 1942 and onward that i wont divulge now but will later. Got to keep some surprises for you guys.

Also a question for the readers: Is that true that you can attack Russia in 1942 now? If yes, so far whats your experience with it? I might consider this strategy if it appears doable...

The Turn Itself

I have chosen to put all options at "ON" since the developpement team want this game to be testing. I wonder whats its going to do! Interesting options, to say the least.

The game starts well with a first-turn knockout of Poland. We can now turn our attention to other theatres. Most forces will be transferred to the western front and i should overuse the rail network greatly, but i dont care. Its not the time to think in economy or half measure. The allies are weak and easy prey, so we have to hit hard and fast.
Last edited by supermax on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:18 am

Where did you use air in your attacks?

supermax

Post by supermax » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:23 am

1 TAC in Warsaw, 1 FTR in Warsaw. 1 Tac on Lodz to help take the city over river attacks by 2 INF and 1 MECH. Other FTR on Inf west of Dantzig, wo help mech to make it retreat.

Then 2 tanks to attack depleted Warsaw at 7 steps. Both tanks attacks at 4:1 and 4:0 odds. Most of the time 1 or 2 steps are left, but i got the better end of it this time.é It doesnt really matter sicne the Poles surely fall on the turn after.

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:13 am

thats exactly the strategy I have been using on Poland, have only achieved it twice :-(, despite the fact it should happen more!

supermax

Turn 2: Things heating up off the coast of Norway

Post by supermax » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:42 pm

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:11 am

Max,

After your first post I saw that your PP level was at -8. Given that the Germans now start with 35 PP's, which is enough for a lab build and airborne conversion, this meant that you had formed a transport (which put you at -8 ). Given that in my experience with your play that Norway is usuallyt a low priority I was really curious what you were up to. I didn't want to post this analysis until after your next turn in order to avoid possibly tipping your hand or at least that you had a transport somewhere at sea.

Now I know. Tricky ... Tricky :D

supermax

Post by supermax » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:01 am

Well Ronnie,

First thing is to get to know who your playing against. Now i find or at least suspect that Moriss is like me ready to do what he has to do to win regardless of casualities. I really lik that!

The main flaw that i have is that most of the time i overdo it, dont repair my units properly and also mount to forward an attack. If i can determine that he is like that, this will serve me well against his navy and especially in Russia where i can crush him.

Also, sometime some players are agressive, but only against passive players.

So i like to show them real agressiveness and then they recoil into defense and thats when their out of their comfort zone.

Impression is everything, but all of it remains to be seen in the case of this opponent.

One thing is sure, this will be a very fun game.

supermax

Post by supermax » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:06 am

Also after looking at the manual its also obvious that i'll have to look at Norway more now, or else loose 5 easy PP...

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:00 am

Don't underestimate Morris. He's as aggressive as you are and he has analyzed GS v2.0 to death. He claims the Axis have no chance to win in GS v2.0 despite he being the one rolling over everybody with the Axis. So it means he has probably conjured up some kind of effective defense with the Russians.

So you might have to adjust your play style or risk losing valuable units in Russia. Also notice that the severe winter effect on the Axis has changed in the GS v2.01 beta. Instead of getting a -35 one time efficiency hit when the severe winter begins you get a -20 one time hit and max efficiency will remain 25 below max until the severe winter is over. This means the initial hit is slightly less, but you won't recover as quickly. It also means you might need a few turns after the severe winter ends to regain efficiency to 90+ before you launch the 1942 offensive.

So you might consider testing GS v2.01 solo just to familiarize yourself with the changes. I'm doing it myself and got a few surprises here end there. Things that used to work doesn't anymore so strategies need to be refined.

I'm pretty sure that Morris has already done this with the latest changes so he knows what seems to work best after the changes. Most of us haven't got to 1942 yet with our newly restarted games.

Mechs consume more oil with higher techs as well so if you go heavily on mech you might still get oil issues.

Also notice that you started with option so Russia must purchase guards. That means Morris won't get any free guards by getting XP. This is both good and bad for you. Good because he must use PP's to get these guards. Bad because he can decide the type of units. He might buy guards armor and then you will be faced with a very strong Russian armor force. If you gain guards from XP the Russians most often get corps units as guards.

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:01 pm

supermax wrote:Also after looking at the manual its also obvious that i'll have to look at Norway more now, or else loose 5 easy PP...
Taking Norway you also get the extra corp in Finland, another 35pps

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Remember that it's possible to interdict the Swedish iron ore route when the weather in Sweden is not fair. The iron ore resource is bumped to 6 PP's per turn so it's important to get it home each turn. Germany can make it harder to have the iron ore interdicted by placing naval units in the Norwegian ports.

supermax

Turn 3

Post by supermax » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:06 am

supermax

Post by supermax » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:07 am

mamahuhu
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Very exciting

Post by mamahuhu » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Very exciting。
Axis impressive action!
Can the Germans in 1939 to spend Christmas in Paris?
British Royal Navy was a heavy blow,Sea lions or Barbarossa it?
Very much looking forward to see the Axis offensive wonderful!

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Earlier you asked about declaring war against Russia in 42 instead. If you plan on going trough with it you will have plenty of time to deal with the britts. If you do operation Sealion as you plotted out, i think you should go for denying the french armistice and taking Vichy france with it´s colonies in north africa as well. Brittain will not be able to interfere cause they are busy elsewhere. By capturing the cities in north africa you can force Spain to join Axis side. A little extra spanish naval power with some PPs and also freeing up the Italian navy for operations in the atlantic.

If you have done all this the britts in egypt won´t be much of a trouble, so you could easily take them out and get the Irak oil. In summer 42 you can launch an attack in Russia and the Persian oilfields to get the extra oil you might need for a big navy and army, not to mention the 15pps of russian land lease recieved every turn that will be lost if Persia is captured.

After that you probably have enough resources to deal with any kind of threat....

One thing i discovered is that you won´t get the "declaration of war penalty" on the russians in 42, or maybe you can declare war before the weather is good to get the penalty? Anyone know?

Crazyg

Schnurri
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Schnurri » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Yes, you can get a 10% suprise penalty if you launch 42 Barbarossa before the Russians activate. Note that they may activate in the last turn in April so in that case you won't get it if you delay til May - and, you might have mud in May and not get the penalty.

supermax

Turn 7

Post by supermax » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 am

So, sorry for the break, i was a at sales show for work.

Anyway, here is the turn. Lille has fallen the last turn, and now Lorraine is German. We are in december 1939.

PRetty standard. Moriss has moved 3 units in france from the british Isles + the HQ... This is very enticing, since i already sunk 2 DD. The Isles look tempting right now...

Nut they are up north and at the forst opportunity i expect him to retreat to the safety of England. We will try to make a different outcome in the next few turns.

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:41 am

It's also very interesting that he's spent UK PP's on two additional leaders (for a total of 3 UK leaders) at this early date.

supermax

Post by supermax » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:12 am

Yep.

Also noticed that...

Dont you think i am already thinking of something hey? ...

With the 2 DD sunk, the overdamaged BB... If i can nail these troops in france, the whole thing will be pretty open... Might get to be an interesting game after all!

Now Ronnie, can i ask you a question since its my first game witht his mod:

What is the consequences of attacking Russia only in 1942? Do they get full production at an earlier date and are they too strong to do anything about if the germans wait that long??? List as many conseuences as you can and i'll make my decision on what i want to do based on your comments / advice.

I especially wonder what kind of Barbarossa you can have in 1942? Is it weak or else the Russians are super strong?

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:35 am

supermax wrote:Now Ronnie, can i ask you a question since its my first game witht his mod:

What is the consequences of attacking Russia only in 1942? Do they get full production at an earlier date and are they too strong to do anything about if the germans wait that long??? List as many conseuences as you can and i'll make my decision on what i want to do based on your comments / advice.

I especially wonder what kind of Barbarossa you can have in 1942? Is it weak or else the Russians are super strong?
I personally haven't worked the numbers but I would think that you would face a very strong Russia from Morris. Check out Jay's AAR against an unnamed opponent - viewtopic.php?p=245931#245931

Jay invaded Russia in June of 1942 and when he eventually hits their main line they look pretty strong to me. I assume you could contact Jay's opponent privately and get all the details you need for this case.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”