AAR: Supermax Vs Moriss (No moriss please)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by supermax » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Crazygunner1 wrote:It´s not over yet. Remember that max early wins now will probably come back to haunt him later in the game. Since he has been spending a lot of oil he needs to be real careful not to run out. Or focus on getting another oil supply.

There hasn´t been any game decisive battles yet, though Max is in a real good position.
I agree with you craz.

Although i spent a lot of oil doing what i did, the goal now is to stay inactive till barbarossa...

Remember i have a ton of time we are in august and ive got france, england and north africa in the bag.

In my game agat panzer gen i did more and spent more, yet never ran out of oil.

This period of time in the game was not for half measures and being careful about oil. The effort was great but the rewards we also good.

Now it starts. My goal is to have 400 oil at start of barbarossa. I deem it quite reasonnable to achieve.

For the late game, that is 1943, i will focus my strategy on anti tank and tank busters, to stem the russian mech and arm hordes.

I also have a my own little strategy to see the western allies rebuffed in 42-43.

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Anti-tank techs are completely useless agains mech unit by the way.

supermax

Turn 21: France surrenders.

Post by supermax » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:14 pm

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Max,

It's to your advantage to declare war on Yugoslavia in fair weather (Central Europe) even if you're not quite ready for the invasion. If the dow is in mud then Yugoslavian units do NOT suffer the morale loss and they get rail capability on the first turn of the invasion. So, you might consider a DOW next turn assuming the weather in Central Europe is fair versus waiting if that was your plan.

supermax

Post by supermax » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:44 pm

rkr1958 wrote:Max,

It's to your advantage to declare war on Yugoslavia in fair weather (Central Europe) even if you're not quite ready for the invasion. If the dow is in mud then Yugoslavian units do NOT suffer the morale loss and they get rail capability on the first turn of the invasion. So, you might consider a DOW next turn assuming the weather in Central Europe is fair versus waiting if that was your plan.
Thx for the tip.

Already declared war on them last turn. :)

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Max, does he have any RAF fighters left or are they all spent?

Because if he mounts up fighters there it might take a bit longer and delay any other operation. I did that in a game vs Scnhurri. Couple of corps just south of Marocco in the narrow passage and aircover. We had to end the game toough but he wouldn´t have taken Casablanca unless major Axis commitment. Also if he neglected it, would have meant end of Tunis and possibly an early knockout of Italy.

Crazyg

supermax

Post by supermax » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:44 am

Crazygunner1 wrote:Max, does he have any RAF fighters left or are they all spent?

Because if he mounts up fighters there it might take a bit longer and delay any other operation. I did that in a game vs Scnhurri. Couple of corps just south of Marocco in the narrow passage and aircover. We had to end the game toough but he wouldn´t have taken Casablanca unless major Axis commitment. Also if he neglected it, would have meant end of Tunis and possibly an early knockout of Italy.

Crazyg
1 FTR in the area, as well as 1 corps and 1 GAR. I just destroyed another FTR that was just lagging behind and trying to fly bewteen my lines.

So far, so good. If he commits heavily there, well i wont get Soain easy but all the better. His fleet is in Casablanca, so this means it isnt there to cover any invasion on ITaly coming for the East. Italy's job in this game is only in the MED. So its all right to have them play with Casablanca. I am also sending a german FTR there it should land in North africa next turn.

Will develop their fleet as well and we'll see what Moriss can come up with. the more he commits there the better.

supermax

Turn 23: Berlgrade falls. Barbarossa preperations underway

Post by supermax » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:46 am

supermax

Post by supermax » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:06 am

Well guys, just looked at Plaid's AAR. Let me say wow to Moriss on this one, but looks like the timing was too good to be true on the SW hit.

Anyway seeing this game kinda give me comfort in what i have been doing.

Moriss is agressive all right. I can see his strategy as well, that is producing a ton of tanks and wait for the axis to spend itself...

That is why i already have 5 tanks, and plan to have 2 more for the start of Barbarossa. I will build more even with the anti-blob rule. 4 -5 FTR and 4 TACS and say 6 MECHs(already on the map).

Simply said, his strategy is inertia defense with the Russians in 1941, so i can get away with not having a tons of units for starters, since he will be waiting for me at the end of the front. He will notice that the end of the front will also close in on him rapidly...

As to the FTRS for british, well i dont think we will see the same setup in my game, since i destroyed 3 FTR already, 1 more is in Morocco and the brits will have a lots less PP to spend in this game.

We are NOV 1940 and my revenue is over 120pp turn. I am churning out units and also repairing my army as much as i can.

I also think that speed will be an essential strategy in russia with Moriss. With 8 tanks, sufficient speed and agressiveness and some aircover, i can run myself deep into the Soviet Union, steal as many PP's as possible and then survive the winter.

Its amazing what he does. He probably only produces tanks and Mech LOL. But if he plays like he did against Plaid his our game, he will see me at the gates of Gorki/Astrakan for the winter.

I think he his the perfect player for me to play against. Reckless like me, almost too much. I will take advantage of that and he will see himself destroyed.

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:01 am

Your plying style is aggressive, but you can adapt it very good to make it fit any opponent. I think that is your major strenght. You will do fine in russia, do doubt

Crazyg

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:02 am

Your plying style is aggressive, but you can adapt it very good to make it fit any opponent. I think that is your major strenght. You will do fine in russia, do doubt

Crazyg

supermax

Turn 24.Quiet turn.

Post by supermax » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:32 pm

Lots of logistics for the next few turns. Weve got to make sure our troops are in place for barbarossa.

supermax

Turn 27: Barbarossa buildup continues

Post by supermax » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:57 pm

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:13 am

Looking good Max, if you can take Casablanca as well you will have some spanish troops to support your line in Russia and for Partisan hunting.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:14 am

When you have your naval units repaired then I think you can send a transport or two from the Bordeaux area and take Casablanca from the rear while you keep his 4 British units busy with the units near Oran.

I guess Morris is building land units in Canada trying to send them to Casablanca to avoid Spanish activation. So your subs and BB's can work on preventing that from happening. I also wonder about the Allied strength in Egypt. Have you noticed any units in the Casablanca area with the same name as the units that started in Egypt or Iraq?

After you have Casablanca you can subs patrolling the transport loop near the Canary islands to prevent British reinforcements going to the Red Sea or the Persian Gulf. Or you can just have a sub there to know what he sends.

I think Casablanca will fall eventually and then Spain will become Axis. That would add quite a bit of extra units to use as garrisons in occupied cities. The 2 Spanish DD's and 2 air units will come in handy as well. Gibraltar should definitely fall and then you can either take Port Said or prevent reinforcements to the Red Sea.

I wonder what Morris is producing with the US. His US navy is small so he has to build several new surface ships and that takes time. It means less strategic bombers and other units to invade France or England.

So I believe Morris is gambling that the Russians will save the day for the Allies. Do you have any plans to stop the Russian convoys from arriving? If you have 6 naval units you can surround the convoys and make sure they never arrive. If you do it close to Scotland then the Allies can't use too many strategic bombers to bombard the subs. Remember that the Allies can rebase air units from Iceland to the Hebrides and have more airbases against the Germans. So having a fighter near Glasgow can be a good idea.

supermax

Post by supermax » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:48 am

I also really wonder what Moriss is building. If he isnt building naval units, well, let me tell you that he will be screwed.

Well, i also thought of doing a german landing in casablanca... Its just that right now i am happy with Moriss building up his INF strenght instead of FTR for Russia. Also busy with Barbarossa.

I think i can master the sea in the atlantic, even with the americans. I am busy building up the german army now, but once thats done i will build some naval units. Amazingly with all the units ive sunk so far, i only lost 1 sub. The Italian navy will soon be 3 BB, 1 DD and 3 SUB strong, so if i can manage to take Casablanca... Well Italian navy with reinforced grman navy will mean no landings in Europe for the Allies.

Maybee i'll spare a TAC or 2 for Africa if i see that Moriss is using the passive defense he used against Plaid. I wont need air units for taking iddle troops and cities. With 2 more tacs and maybee a mech and a landing in the rear, i can overtake the place. This will soar my revenue another 15+. With Bulgaria entry i will be close to 140 per turn and i havent even started to eat up russian PP yet.

As for the Russian convoy, i honestly have no short term plans right now, appart form building up my navy once Barbarossa starts... I have never been good at convoy hunting honestly. I am more a land general... :(

If only i can get Spain, then honestly the game will be strategically won.

I dont see how the russians can save the day. I will advance a lot faster than i think he realizes and i will get his tanks to come to battle before the summer is over. If he doesnt, well i'll be master of a lot of Russian ground, Swelling my revenue even more.

supermax

Post by supermax » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:51 am

Crazygunner1 wrote:Looking good Max, if you can take Casablanca as well you will have some spanish troops to support your line in Russia and for Partisan hunting.
Thats the idea. Too bad Moriss sunk my sneak up transport back early 1940, it was already near the Azore...

If Spain gets in the war, well this will mean trouble for North america, not for Russia. I believe that with Spainsh, Italian and german fleet i can get Moriss into being on the defensive with the western allies.

supermax

Post by supermax » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:11 am

Stauffenberg wrote:When you have your naval units repaired then I think you can send a transport or two from the Bordeaux area and take Casablanca from the rear while you keep his 4 British units busy with the units near Oran.

I guess Morris is building land units in Canada trying to send them to Casablanca to avoid Spanish activation. So your subs and BB's can work on preventing that from happening. I also wonder about the Allied strength in Egypt. Have you noticed any units in the Casablanca area with the same name as the units that started in Egypt or Iraq?

After you have Casablanca you can subs patrolling the transport loop near the Canary islands to prevent British reinforcements going to the Red Sea or the Persian Gulf. Or you can just have a sub there to know what he sends.

I think Casablanca will fall eventually and then Spain will become Axis. That would add quite a bit of extra units to use as garrisons in occupied cities. The 2 Spanish DD's and 2 air units will come in handy as well. Gibraltar should definitely fall and then you can either take Port Said or prevent reinforcements to the Red Sea.

I wonder what Morris is producing with the US. His US navy is small so he has to build several new surface ships and that takes time. It means less strategic bombers and other units to invade France or England.

So I believe Morris is gambling that the Russians will save the day for the Allies. Do you have any plans to stop the Russian convoys from arriving? If you have 6 naval units you can surround the convoys and make sure they never arrive. If you do it close to Scotland then the Allies can't use too many strategic bombers to bombard the subs. Remember that the Allies can rebase air units from Iceland to the Hebrides and have more airbases against the Germans. So having a fighter near Glasgow can be a good idea.
I checked the names of all troops in casablanca (well, the 4 ive seen) and there was 1 indian and 1 australian INF corps. These should normally be in Egypt...

But not all of the forces are gone from Egypt i believe... But as with all agressive players, its sometime better to wait till they expand their offensive energy. Defensive players have done this countless times against me, but i rarely get the occasion to to the counter-punch myself... I believe that Moriss will attempt, at some point or another, a surprise landing in Italy. But it wont b a surprise, my whole Italian fleet is lying in wait just for such a move...

Rhialto
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Rhialto » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:17 am

Max, your problem may be oil and eventually manpower. Weak Spanish air, armor and naval units will burn oil. If I were Morris, I would be hoping to get you in a position where your PPs don't help any more. Do you think you can take advantage of his relocating units from Egypt to Casablanca and get at the Mid east oil fields?

supermax

Post by supermax » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:23 am

Rhialto wrote:Max, your problem may be oil and eventually manpower. Weak Spanish air, armor and naval units will burn oil. If I were Morris, I would be hoping to get you in a position where your PPs don't help any more. Do you think you can take advantage of his relocating units from Egypt to Casablanca and get at the Mid east oil fields?
Well, i am well aware of my main weakness, that is oil. I should be close to 500 for Barbarossa and maybee even a little more.

I honestly havent figured out the oil issue yet, but one thing is sure, offensive operations on a grand scale will probably not be possible after 41 Barbarossa. Thats why i have to hit the Russians as hard as possible and as fast as possible and hope for the best in 1942 to be able to do localized offensives.

Oil is now at 351 (producing 53 a turn) and Manpower 930. Not so bad i should think.

I am hoping Moriss makes a move with his Egyptian units. If he does, well... We wil see. IF he doesnt, well thats all right, ive been thru games with low oil situation before, like my Amerika in Flames AAR.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”