Supermax-Moriss restart (Game stopped)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:47 pm

I just don't get this crazy aggressiveness. I'm not an expert, but logically, one needs to adapt when the circumstances change and Moriss seems to follow the same strategy no matter what.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to protect the British Isles and use all these PPs to produce aircraft? This would allow the Allies to kick in with greater strength when the time comes.

zechi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by zechi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:08 pm

supermax wrote:
zechi wrote:If you quickly take Paris Italy will most likely join the war early. You can then retry your strategy against Massina and capturing the Suez before the British activate there, but you should not forget to put a GAR in Rome ;)
I didnt know Italy would get in early if i take Paris...
There is a chance that Italy will join early, if the Allies do not have enough naval forces in the Med. As soon as you finish off the French and you accept the armistice, the French MED fleet will instantly vanish. If the Allied player does not have any British naval units in the Med, the chance that Italy will imediately join the Axis cause is 100 %. If there are some naval assets in the Med (British units) the chance will be lower.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Since Paris is surrounded that means Morris can't place new French units on the map. He can only repair the existing ones. So if you still ponder you could take a rest turn and repair your losses in France so you can attack the remaining ones with full strength units. You can rail units to the French ports to threaten with Sealion. Even if you don't do it you will at least make Morris nervous.

If you can kill enough RN units then the max convoy size will become less so you can hurt the British without even doing Sealion if you have a healthy navy.

Did the French fighter manage to escape to Britain? Where are the remaining French naval units? In the Med?

I think that Morris is hard pushed now and didn't expect this early fall of France. He has probably built for a different scenario and now needs to improvise. I think he can make Sealion so hard for you that you will spend most of 1940 taking Liverpool and London. But with the latest rule changes I think you can really cripple the British if you do so without making Russia stronger.

So if you have a good chance to succeed then I think Sealion could be interesting. In order to succeed you need to have a strong Luftwaffe, like 3-4 tac bombers and 3-4 fighters. Then Morris just can't stop you from succeeding. The Luftwaffe can even go after the RN if he's careless. Sinking the CV should have the main priority. It takes 15 turns to build a new CV and it will make it harder for him to hunt subs in the Atlantic without CV's.

Since the RN units in the Med aren't activated yet it means he only has 3 DD's, 3 BB's, 1 CV and 1 sub to defend Britain with in addition to the French naval units. If you can wipe out the RN it means the convoys will be seriously crippled forcing him to send naval units from the Med to the Atlantic, thus increasing the Axis supply level in Libya.

You still have some options left, but you need to make the decisions NOW because preparing takes time. E. g. building more subs take 6 turns, more air units 3 turns etc. Building more BB's take 12 turns, CV's 15 turns etc.

supermax

Turn 14: North Africa attacked!

Post by supermax » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Marseille Falls, French navy intervene in atlantic, Italy joins the war!

Very sorry for not posting for 3-4 turns, but my plan was to drag the fall of France so i could do what i wanted to do.

Spain in the war in 1940 is the goal. I want the biggets revenue possible for barbarossa.

Moriss is finally playing the brits like he should. He hasnt been doing anythign stupid for a change. So that prompted me to rule out Sealion since i know that if i land in england i will play his game, that is wear down the germans. Instead, i have decided to do something else.

Conquer France for 1, then Spain(and of course Gibraltar...), then everything that could give me some revenue on the map, except maybee for greece. I dont really see the upside for taking Greece honestly... Its just one more area to defend. I will let Greek neutrality do the trick for me.

supermax

Turn 14: Operation snakebite continues

Post by supermax » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:17 am

supermax

Turn 15: France surrenders, Spain Joins the Axis!!!

Post by supermax » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:29 am

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:43 am

Just remember that when the Free French forces arrive in November 1942 they will invade Agadir and automatically succeed landing there. Any Axis forces in the invasion hexes will be sent to the force pool. So holding Agadir is good until November 1942 som you have a port where you can repair subs.

supermax

Turn 16: Gibraltar under siege

Post by supermax » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:57 am

abumax54
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by abumax54 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:31 pm

In doing the Med strategy and delaying Barbarossa til 42 I've found Greece to be very valuable. You don't need to take it until the RN evacuates the Med but it takes quite a while and a lot of air to take Suez and then Iraq and then you want to transfer air units to Eastern Front and Greece gives you a real shortcut.

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Just a question, do you get full revenue from Spain when they join the war, or is the PP cut in half like when occupied?

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Full revenue from Spain

gchristie
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by gchristie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:10 pm

When rejecting the French Armistice, does one have to capture all of the key cities in NA before capturing Paris to trigger Spain joining the Axis, or can one reject the armistice, capture Paris (assuming this all happens after the second June 1940 date) then finish capturing the key NA cities and still have Spain join?

I think it is the former, but the Magnum Opus, er, manual is a bit vague :)

Regards,

gchristie - Who is now kickin' it SdKfz 251/1-style which is much cooler than that old destroyer!
"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."
~Anne Frank

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:56 pm

gchristie wrote:When rejecting the French Armistice, does one have to capture all of the key cities in NA before capturing Paris to trigger Spain joining the Axis, or can one reject the armistice, capture Paris (assuming this all happens after the second June 1940 date) then finish capturing the key NA cities and still have Spain join?

I think it is the former, but the Magnum Opus, er, manual is a bit vague :)

Regards,

gchristie - Who is now kickin' it SdKfz 251/1-style which is much cooler than that old destroyer!
It is the later...

supermax

Post by supermax » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:01 pm

abumax54 wrote:In doing the Med strategy and delaying Barbarossa til 42 I've found Greece to be very valuable. You don't need to take it until the RN evacuates the Med but it takes quite a while and a lot of air to take Suez and then Iraq and then you want to transfer air units to Eastern Front and Greece gives you a real shortcut.
Not going for greece and not going for MED strat. Only goal was to get spain on board to get biggest revenue to barbarossa. When the other axis minors join in november i will be over 125 revenue.

This should be my biggest barbarossa in all my games.

supermax

Turn 17: Gibraltar under fire

Post by supermax » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:35 pm

supermax

Turn 19: Gibraltar falls, Potugal attacked.

Post by supermax » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:06 am

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Why are you reinforcing Sicilly?

May i suggest a more offensive strategy with the italians, build a lot of subs with the italians instead to combat the Allied naval power. In most cases, if you invest in sub tech you can keep the allies at bay even as late as 43. Then you can focus all your german PP on the russians instead of hurrying it to counter allied landings.

Crazyg

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:16 pm

This french garrison on maginot line can now destroy section of german fortification by the way.

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:52 pm

The French garrison is now out of supply. So I think it will starve to death. Supermax can rail a unit to the direct opposite side of it to ensure all hexes around the French garrison has ZOC from 2 units.

trulster
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by trulster » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:46 am

Crazygunner1 wrote:Why are you reinforcing Sicilly?

May i suggest a more offensive strategy with the italians, build a lot of subs with the italians instead to combat the Allied naval power. In most cases, if you invest in sub tech you can keep the allies at bay even as late as 43. Then you can focus all your german PP on the russians instead of hurrying it to counter allied landings.

Crazyg
Yes, have used this strategy myself, it is a good idea. And especially now with Spain already Axis in 1940, the Italian subs can get very efficient since sub tech is quickly gained. Also, subs do not drain that much of the little Italian manpower, and Italian subs can take over some of the Atlantic battle allowing German PPs to go towards the Eastern Front.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”