Supermax-Moriss restart (Game stopped)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by supermax » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:55 pm

amcdonel
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by amcdonel » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:Full revenue from Spain
What are the requirements for Spain to join the Axis as an ally? I do not have that in the manual - alt least does not look like it.

Thanks!

Alec

supermax

Post by supermax » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Think you should have waited one more turn in NA for Morris to engaged Tobruk then land behind him, right? Otherwise he can doubble back and foil your attempt to cut of supply...

Crazyg

supermax

Post by supermax » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Crazygunner1 wrote:Think you should have waited one more turn in NA for Morris to engaged Tobruk then land behind him, right? Otherwise he can doubble back and foil your attempt to cut of supply...

Crazyg
You might bw right but it doesnt really matter.

Its a front where neither of us have enough troops to win over the area

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:34 pm

Looks good so far. Where is the bulk of the Red Army, though? Near Stalingrad or Voronez?

supermax

Post by supermax » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:26 pm

Cybvep wrote:Looks good so far. Where is the bulk of the Red Army, though? Near Stalingrad or Voronez?
Probably both. The tanks are in the south while MECH and some INF are in Voronezh.

Moriss strategy is effective, but lienar.

I predicted even the turn of his British landing...

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Yes, what bothers me is the fact that everyone knows what strategy Moriss will use and yet he seems to win all the time. Recent patch changes have been directed to counter his tricks, so it will be interesting what will be the outcome of this AAR. If you win, then this will be a good sign balance-wise.

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Cybvep wrote:Yes, what bothers me is the fact that everyone knows what strategy Moriss will use and yet he seems to win all the time.
I know what basic strategy Max, Borger, Neil and Joe will use against me in the games that I play them and they beat me all the time too. It's more than just the strategy. It's the execution. Morris is a very good player. So are Max, Borger, Neil and Joe.

Rhialto
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Rhialto » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:43 pm

rkr1958 wrote:
Cybvep wrote:Yes, what bothers me is the fact that everyone knows what strategy Moriss will use and yet he seems to win all the time.
I know what basic strategy Max, Borger, Neil and Joe will use against me in the games that I play them and they beat me all the time too. It's more than just the strategy. It's the execution. Morris is a very good player. So are Max, Borger, Neil and Joe.
What bothers me more is that his execution of many things is not impressive - and still he wins. Take this game for example; the landings in France was either misconceived or not executed successfully. In the previous game with Max, Sealion was successful at very little cost to the Axis. In both games the Royal Navy and the BEF were lost for little obvious gain. Units were tossed away time and time again.

BUT; under the Morriss strategy, it clearly does not really matter much what happens in the West - the impression one gets is that the only part of the game that matters is the first and second winters following Barbarossa, and the tank blob. In the last 3 or 4 AARs against Morriss, you can almost see Morriss hurrying through 1939 and 1940 to get to the fun bit where he gets to crush the Axis with the Soviets. Maybe it is historical, but it saps the fun out of the game if decisions whether to invade Norway, Yugoslavia, or not, or whether to reinforce North Africa or whatever, amount to rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Perhaps the latest patch will have been enough to balance the game. One thing; if Max does not win this game after his early defeat of France and recruitment of Spain and this Barbarossa which he estimated as his strongest ever - then noone is going to win against Morriss's Russian strategy under current rules.

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:46 pm

I pretty much agree with the previous poster. Sacrificing the western forces so carelessly should simply not be the best strategy. It's neither realistic nor fun.

supermax

Post by supermax » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:46 pm

rkr1958 wrote:
Moriss wins because he sacrifice the brits to get the gernans to expand themselves.

Its not rocket science.

Not many players would do that as it requires to get your ass kicked for 2 years till end 1941, which is, understandably, pretty boring.

But when you dont care about boring and only want to win, then you do something like moriss does.

We will see how he fare against me in a complete game, without 10 guards to safeguard his little counter-offemsive

In my opinion its very simple to counter, and my aar will show that.

To 1941:
1- destroy france in 1939 for moriss not to be able to draw you into a attrition battle.
2- not get drawn into playing the "kill the britist easily game" remember: he wants you to land in england
3- disreguard north africa at least for 1941 and 1942, only defense ( he will send the troops england anyway)
4- do not station ftr in france before barbarossa to slug it out with the british air.
5- organize the biggest barbarossa possible and make sure you dont overdo it, anyway moriss does not defend he only lets garrisons in cities until moscow and rostov
6- do not cross the danger zone, which is east of kharkov, and organize, upgrade and repair your troops in and around dnepropretrovsk to face the inevitable counter offensive.
7 simply said: do not land in england, do not attack north africa and do not " offensivate" too far south east of rostov and no later than mid august

1942 onward

1- get ready for a us landing along with brits in france. He will also land in 1941 by the way so be prepared
2- limited 1942 offensive as dictated by circomstances
3- exploit moriss extreme strategies, that is hit him where he emptied the map because he concentrate everything in one spot.
4- tank tech and anti tank tech VERY important

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:53 pm

I hope you are right. It would suxx if almost perfect knowledge about his strategy, good performance in the West, good results in naval warfare and well-played Barbarossa isn't enough of a counter.

supermax

Post by supermax » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:55 pm

I think that moriss can be easily beaten with careful planning. After all, you can count on one sure thing. The western alles will be mishandled big time and he will launch a counter offensive in southern russia. Ah he will also build too many tanks for the league.

You just have to make sure his 1941 winter offensive does not amount to anytning.

In my game i have devised a simple strategy. He doesnt defend anything till rostov and moscow, so why Bother sending lead german elements in the don bassin and other dangerous areas?

My loyal axis allies will go forward while my brave german troops will upgrade their effectiveness. Once moriss gets to dnepropretrovsk, he will either be expanded, my troops will have recovered or my anti tank/ high effectiveness/entrenchment will do the trick. If he launch his offensive too early, then he will be sorry for it.

Since moriss strategy Is so linear, well you will have an AAR to follow to do like i did and destroy him.

supermax

Post by supermax » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:28 am

zechi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by zechi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:15 am

Moriss has quite an impressive RAF. It seems that the US will only concentrate on ground units (perhaps also naval units) and the British RAF will be used to get air superiority in the west. You should expect renewed landings in 1942 with US forces in France, protected by the RAF airforce screen.

I also think you are little bit too optimistic. The situation looks good at the moment, but be careful, as your forces are quite overextended. I also fear for your oil level.

Diplomaticus
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Diplomaticus » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:06 am

Another small but important thing about defending in Russia as Axis: Pay close attention to where '4' supply changes to '3'. The difference in effectiveness and movement is not trivial.

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:17 am

This looks good, indeed. The Allied losses are very high and their forces don't look so impressive. I mean, 13 Soviet ARM+MECH? Even if this is slightly inaccurate and the Soviets have ~15 ARM+MECH, they shouldn't be able to destroy the Axis forces in the south, at least not during the winter of 1941/1942.

supermax

Post by supermax » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:27 am

zechi wrote:Moriss has quite an impressive RAF. It seems that the US will only concentrate on ground units (perhaps also naval units) and the British RAF will be used to get air superiority in the west. You should expect renewed landings in 1942 with US forces in France, protected by the RAF airforce screen.

I also think you are little bit too optimistic. The situation looks good at the moment, but be careful, as your forces are quite overextended. I also fear for your oil level.
You are totally right about that. I am optimistic, but it doesnt mean i am going to be asleed at the switch.

Goal is to buildup the western defenses over the winter.

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:34 am

As long as you can rail enough forces to France, you should be fine. You are not active in Africa, so all the fighting will be done in Europe.

You can expect a big US Navy, though.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”