Supermax-Moriss restart (Game stopped)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Turn 38

Post by supermax » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:53 pm

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:26 am

May i suggest that you purchase some low PP leaders with extra defence bonus and place on cities lite Djnepopetrovsk, Brest Litovsk and Smolensk? Strongholds that most likely will hold up even though Morris breakthrough you lines.

Crazyg

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:45 am

As far as I remember germans don't have really cheap leaders, lowest possible is 4 quality 1 GD for 35 PP.
Soviets or british have cheaper options.

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:47 am

It would really suxx if you lost this. Everything has been going smoothly so far. Let's hope for the best!

zechi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by zechi » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:51 am

I think you should immediately place some units in Soviet cities in the rear, especially in Leningrad. Otherwise you risk to lose them to spawning partisans. You should also be careful with Helsinki. A good placed Soviet para unit could make a jump into the city on the first fair weather turn.

Furthermore, you should place MECH units into cities in the frontline. Remaining MECHs andPanzer Corps should be in the rear as well as minor Axis units. German INF should be at the frontline at all other positions. Soviet units breaking through can then be destroyed by the Panzers or other units in the second line.

Luftwaffe and other air units should retreat outside of Severe Winter zone, with the exception of the Finnish FTR, who you should be used were you expect the main Soviet winter offensive.

At this moment I don't think that your defensive lines look so great. You should try to have a double line and of course you should have no holes at all in the first line.

Diplomaticus
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Diplomaticus » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:29 am

Crimea, being out of the severe weather, is a perfect airbase area--I love that setup. I agree w. zechi that *all* aircraft should be moved there or to similar safe spots (Finland, Eastern Poland, etc.)

And not to be too obvious, but remember those winterized Finns. I can't tell from your maps where they are, but Finn garrisons are great for certain cities that might not need Korps strength defenders. That Finn in Talinn--what's your plan for him?

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:43 am

Why not retreat simple? You seem like going to bleed your troops for holding less then 5 PP objects for 5-6 turns.

I don't think that your line will collapse, but you are going to exchange some casualties with soviets, and not at very attractive rate.

supermax

Post by supermax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:11 am

supermax

Post by supermax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:18 am

Crazygunner1 wrote:May i suggest that you purchase some low PP leaders with extra defence bonus and place on cities lite Djnepopetrovsk, Brest Litovsk and Smolensk? Strongholds that most likely will hold up even though Morris breakthrough you lines.

Crazyg
Ive already done it. The only leaders left to produce with def bonus are kesselring and manstein.

They will be produced over the next 2 turns.

I have160 rev. I can afford it

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:35 am

The Kiev area looks exposed, but the bulk of his mobile forces is in the south. Hopefully, you will be able to stop the offensive. It will be interesting to see what Moriss does after that.

supermax

Post by supermax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Zechi:

I agree. But the sheer scale of the defensive positionning is eating up my rail points at the moment. There is only so much i can so. leningrad will be garrisonned as well as the other cities. If a partisan spawn, well its a risk i am just going to have to take.

The act of the matter is that strategically , stopping moriss is more important than bloquing hypothetical partisans.

supermax

Post by supermax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:40 pm

Diplomaticus wrote:Crimea, being out of the severe weather, is a perfect airbase area--I love that setup. I agree w. zechi that *all* aircraft should be moved there or to similar safe spots (Finland, Eastern Poland, etc.)

And not to be too obvious, but remember those winterized Finns. I can't tell from your maps where they are, but Finn garrisons are great for certain cities that might not need Korps strength defenders. That Finn in Talinn--what's your plan for him?
I willmmove, in time, all possible air units there yes.

My line is holding and air units can be easily evacuated by air if the dnetropretrovsk defensive line get overwhelmed.

supermax

Post by supermax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:48 pm

Zechi:

Well, i agree with you on the mech/armor setup, but the size of my defensive line requires lthat i comprimise a little bit. These unitsnare entrenched and very high effectiveness( mechs) and they will be quite un-attaquable by moriss. Since most are now 85+ effectiveness, this means that they wont be really bothered by the -25 penalty, so they will hold the line.

I am actually posting 1 turn late for this and in the next turn yo will see that my defensive line look a lot better. Ive basically fot a double-line of defense from Pskov to the Crimea, with german troops in the front line. Most defensive generals have been produced and laced at points on the ine where the russians can attack on 3 sides. I compromised with some italians and axis minors on spots where the russians can only attack from 1 side and protected with a river.

My manpower is still over 85%, so i can produce a lot more inf. Next few turns will see INF and manstein and Kesselring on thr map.

Revenue is close to 160.

supermax

Post by supermax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Cybvep wrote:The Kiev area looks exposed, but the bulk of his mobile forces is in the south. Hopefully, you will be able to stop the offensive. It will be interesting to see what Moriss does after that.
I agree. This is why i counter attacked and destroyed 2 inf and a armor. To give me another turn for the setup. As i said i post 1 turn late, you will see its looks a lot better next turn.

Moriss still hasnt attacked my defensive line, the odds must be horrible. My air force is also doing its job by depleting his lead elite units before they can attack.

If moriss can beat this defensive setup, no one can stop him.

Rhialto
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Rhialto » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:22 pm

supermax wrote: To give me another turn for the setup. As i said i post 1 turn late, you will see its looks a lot better next turn.

Moriss still hasnt attacked my defensive line, the odds must be horrible. My air force is also doing its job by depleting his lead elite units before they can attack.

What month is this? How many turns before the winter is likely to be over and that -25 penalty ends?

Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Good job on the kiev counter attack. Give you à few more turns to prepare. In the south Morris Will use the forward retreat rule to penetrate your defense and destroy units. He Will probably get 2 units per turn then continue advancing on other fronts to over expand your line.

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way, it is suppose to be very Hard to capture russia and venturing in to the 3 supply zone is almost impossible...as it was in reality.

Crazy

Rhialto
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Rhialto » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Plaid wrote:Why not retreat simple? You seem like going to bleed your troops for holding less then 5 PP objects for 5-6 turns.

I don't think that your line will collapse, but you are going to exchange some casualties with soviets, and not at very attractive rate.
If Max retreats in the face of this offensive it will:

1. Cost Max oil to retreat his tanks and mech. It is unlikely Max has enough oil to retreat through the winter and also effectively perform the offensive he needs to do in the Spring of 1942. He can't rail all those units and certainly not those in contact with the enemy.

2. Lose him entrenched positions behind river lines. These positions are mostly (all?) in Supply zone 4, and his air can operate from the Crimea out of severe winter zone.

3. Some units such as infantry would likely get caught by Moriss's tanks/mechs, or have to be sacrificed as speed bumps to buy time for a retreat.

4. Lose Max space that will cost him time in the Spring. He has to go back in the offensive in 1942 to take objectives such as Stalingrad and Moscow and destroy a lot of Soviet units if he is to survive the winter of 1942 let alone 1943. If Max retreats to the Vininitska/Kherson area he will have a lot of ground to recover. And again, all this moving would cost him oil which he needs with his many tanks/mechs/air units.

supermax

Post by supermax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Rhialto wrote:
supermax wrote: To give me another turn for the setup. As i said i post 1 turn late, you will see its looks a lot better next turn.

What month is this? How many turns before the winter is likely to be over and that -25 penalty ends?
Last turn of september.

supermax

Post by supermax » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Crazygunner1 wrote:Good job on the kiev counter attack. Give you à few more turns to prepare. In the south Morris Will use the forward retreat rule to penetrate your defense and destroy units. He Will probably get 2 units per turn then continue advancing on other fronts to over expand your line.

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way, it is suppose to be very Hard to capture russia and venturing in to the 3 supply zone is almost impossible...as it was in reality.

Crazy
Well, yes there is this possibility, but again he cant bomb by exposed positions since i have air superiority.

It will happen for sure, but not before winter maybee?

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Looks like Morris keep neglecting soviet airpower in his games, so he will have huge troubles trying to be offencive with soviets in late game.
He bets all on victory in first year or two. If you manage to preserve most of your army through winter, during 1942 summer soviet army will either end destroyed or retreat to Syberia.
Impressive play so far!

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”